Hello from returning member whose had a serious loss of control over 2015

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If everyone knows I am diabetic and out of control why do they buy me so much chocolate for Christmas, are they trying to kill me? I have a big box of thorntons in front of me right now left by someone that just gone to bed. Incidentally a member of my family worked for Stoerk marketing and had unlimited supply of free chocs and sweets like bendicks and wetheralls.

This year, for the first time, I took all the chocolate and biscuit presents that I could do without and gave them away. Just in case you think I'm totally reformed, I have to admit that I ate all the ones that I really liked!

Reactions: 2 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Right - I'm on my way round to your house, shall we 'pig out' together? Won't feel as guilty then with someone else doing it...... Time I went to my bed, have enjoyed our banter. Good Night. William.

You guys are such night owls!

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had a bad day yesterday eating all day but on the bright side I managed to only eat loads of chicken and my LC baking so for.me that is a bit of a.milestone as I usually go for biscuits ect. @Dougie22 I know what you mean about being stuck around home, I usually get unstuck in the weekends when Im around home more. Dont despair about going off track it happens and unfortunately usually more often than we would like but just get yourself on track when you can.

Thanks for those kind words. Back on track now (see new post).

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My bg levels have gone crazy as I the stress of Xmas have affected my mood and depression. I know I need to get my head sorted before I can get my diabetes back under control. !!!

Isn't amazing how stressful the season of love and joy is? I get totally wound up by it every year. This year was a bit better due to not having anyone staying with us so I hope that sets the pattern for future years. I'd like to go to the sun and forget the whole thing but I can't convince my wife and it's very expensive.
I find that getting some exercise really helps me "get my head sorted". I don't do much but I go to the gym, have a little exercise than sit in the spa pool before drying off on a sunbed beside the pool. Usually feel much better, having been away from the house for a couple of hours. I'm retired, so finding time for it is less of a problem.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for your support everybody. I'm back on track again. Had a normal food day on Sunday and a good day yesterday (Monday), including a reasonable session at the gym. Attended my first NHS "Waist Winners" session yesterday. It's an eight week "food education" programme run by an NHS dietician, takes an hour a week, and they weigh you to provide an incentive to stay good. It's free. As always with the NHS, it runs to a formula (I've been on a couple of different courses) and caters to the lowest common denominator (does anyone in the world still think you can drink full fat Coca Cola and not gain weight?). Also, the dieticians are always skinny young girls who would just can't comprehend the eating habits of their 60 something plus, obese clients and whose brains would literally explode if they ate a Big Mac Meal with extra fries. Despite all this, I'll be going for the eight weeks, because the thought of getting weighed each Monday will hopefully keep me honest over the weekends.

In other news, my two hour BG readings are coming down but only very slightly. I've moved to doing a 2 hour and a three and a quarter hour (just the way it worked out first time) a few evenings a week. I'm looking to get below 8.5 at the two hour point. Last night's 2 hour was 10.3, and the 3 hour+ one was 8.8. Although still not good by any stretch of the imagination, this is an improvement on where they were late December ( 13.6/9.4 on Christmas Eve). Blood pressure is also responding slightly. LOts more work to do though if I'm to get that HbA1c down (my primary goal).

Reactions: 4 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Well done Dougie22:)

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm afraid I don't cook. My wife is pretty sympathetic and a very good cook and I would be fine if I only ate what she gives me! I can't see her doing her own bread or biscuits anytime soon. I did have a bit of a dalliance with Jenny Ruhl's whey pancakes at one stage, made from protein powder. To be honest it was just too much hassle and, eventually, the remains of the big bag of protein powder went in the bin. I do well when I maintain my food diary (I use Myfitnesspal.com as it makes life easy with a good app and barcode scanning). The problem comes when you've had a meal out, a carry-out, dinner at a friends, or a dish that you can't easily point, and you miss the readings for the day. You need to just put it behind you and start again next day but it is hard not to give up for a few days. I also use the Mapmywalk app which monitors how far you've gone and interfaces seamlessly with Myfitnesspal.com. Both take a little experimenting before they become easier to use but I find them worthwhile. AS I've said before though, my biggest problems are when I've lapsed and gone of the rails when I wont record anything at all. That was the case through most of 2015.

Don't feel disheartened Dougie22, I would imagine we have all lapsed from time to time.
Forget 2015 and your lapse and start fresh. Think positive and you will conquer. We are
all here for you if you feel another lapse is upon you. Follow the LCHF. Remember it isn't
another diet, it's a lifestyle change, it's forever. :)

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Don't feel disheartened Dougie22, I would imagine we have all lapsed from time to time.
Forget 2015 and your lapse and start fresh. Think positive and you will conquer. We are
all here for you if you feel another lapse is upon you. Follow the LCHF. Remember it isn't
another diet, it's a lifestyle change, it's forever. :)

Thanks for that. I'll certainly be trying every trick I can think of to stay on course for 2016. This has gone on too long now.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great to see you are back on track, i know its definately a bumpy road. Its great that your BS is starting to come down, its all progress. Hopefully you will enjoy the course, I went on a similar one when I was diagnosed and yes our dietician was a skinny young girl as well and in the breaks they fed us little snacks like wholegrain toast and muesli with yoghurt.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Great to see you are back on track, i know its definately a bumpy road. Its great that your BS is starting to come down, its all progress. Hopefully you will enjoy the course, I went on a similar one when I was diagnosed and yes our dietician was a skinny young girl as well and in the breaks they fed us little snacks like wholegrain toast and muesli with yoghurt.

Bumpy is right. Not sure I'd go so far as thinking I'll enjoy it but it might help me keep on track. I love it when airlines say "enjoy your flight". Does anyone enjoy flying? It's something you have to do to get where you want to go. This is the same for me.

So far, so good, Sunday ok, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week very controlled.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I got an email the other day from Louise of the Low Carb programme which was interesting. I've always said that my strategy was moderate carb for now, but I might have to review that if I can't get my BS down to reasonable letters. The numbers make interesting reading though:
1. Low carb forum defines low carb as 120-150g of carb per day (I thought it would be lower)
2. NHS think low carb is below 313g per day for men (250g fro women)
3. When eating well, I'm hovering around 200g per day (better than I would have thought)
I get this figure as a by product of using the Myfitnesspal app as my food diary so they are reasonably accurate and show me that I'm not as far away from low carbing as I thought. Still have muesli, couple of slices of bread at lunch, and a portion of potato or rice in my diet, as well as using plain biscuits (gingernuts, oaties,etc.) as treats so there's some room yet for manoeuvre if I need to cut back further.

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got an email the other day from Louise of the Low Carb programme which was interesting. I've always said that my strategy was moderate carb for now, but I might have to review that if I can't get my BS down to reasonable letters. The numbers make interesting reading though:
1. Low carb forum defines low carb as 120-150g of carb per day (I thought it would be lower)
2. NHS think low carb is below 313g per day for men (250g fro women)
3. When eating well, I'm hovering around 200g per day (better than I would have thought)
I get this figure as a by product of using the Myfitnesspal app as my food diary so they are reasonably accurate and show me that I'm not as far away from low carbing as I thought. Still have muesli, couple of slices of bread at lunch, and a portion of potato or rice in my diet, as well as using plain biscuits (gingernuts, oaties,etc.) as treats so there's some room yet for manoeuvre if I need to cut back further.
:eek:

Bread rice cereals ..... " BISCUITS " what the heck are those lol :D

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
OK. Made it to Sunday night and still staying within my eating guidelines. Approximately 1800 calories and 200g carb per day. This is the first time in a long time (at least a year) that I've managed to stay with it for seven days straight. Attending "Waist Winners" tomorrow and expecting my weight to have come down a little and my two hour BS tonight was 8.9, the best it's been for a while. This despite an awkward mid afternoon funeral tea on Friday.

How are rest of you doing? Staying away from the binging or yet to get back on the wagon? Monday morning is a good time for a restart!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good on you for sticking to it. I have just started intermittent fasting and Im finding it easier than I thought and Im sticking to under 20 gr carbs per day easy so thats good. Keep up the positivity and fingers crossed, hopefully you will find you have lost a.bit of weight at your meeting, its always a great motivator to see the numbers going down. Have a good day :)

Reactions: 3 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Good on you for sticking to it. I have just started intermittent fasting and Im finding it easier than I thought and Im sticking to under 20 gr carbs per day easy so thats good. Keep up the positivity and fingers crossed, hopefully you will find you have lost a.bit of weight at your meeting, its always a great motivator to see the numbers going down. Have a good day :)

No wonder your figures are all looking so good! At the moment, I can't even conceive of 20g per day. I'm closer to 200g!
I have to confess that I'm not ready to face that level of control yet but I really admire those who have.
As I've said before, I may have to change my mind on this one. Time will tell.

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK. Made it to Sunday night and still staying within my eating guidelines. Approximately 1800 calories and 200g carb per day. This is the first time in a long time (at least a year) that I've managed to stay with it for seven days straight. Attending "Waist Winners" tomorrow and expecting my weight to have come down a little and my two hour BS tonight was 8.9, the best it's been for a while. This despite an awkward mid afternoon funeral tea on Friday.

How are rest of you doing? Staying away from the binging or yet to get back on the wagon? Monday morning is a good time for a restart!
forgot to take my tablets this morning, plus I had pizza for lunch and a bottle of excellent red wine, wonderful Went to have supper and discovered my bs was 22, so I am eating plain freshly cooked popcorn and finishing up the wine. As you say monday morning is a good time to restart, as long as the bottle is empty

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dont worry @Dougie22 I used to eat that amount of carbs as well, it has taken me almost 2 years to sort my food issues out. We are all different and we each have to do it our own way to figure out what level we are happy with. You are on the right track and you're doing great.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a serial relapser and this time I've ended up at my highest weight ever and **** bg readings that put me in t2 category.

But I'm back now and reforming good habits and more importantly determined not to let this get the better of me.

I'm facing the scary stuff tomorrow A blood test!!

The prob with diabetes is that it's s slow killer do we can start again tomorrow but it can't perpetuate.

Let's do it all together!
D x

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a serial relapser and this time I've ended up at my highest weight ever and **** bg readings that put me in t2 category.

But I'm back now and reforming good habits and more importantly determined not to let this get the better of me.

I'm facing the scary stuff tomorrow A blood test!!

The prob with diabetes is that it's s slow killer do we can start again tomorrow but it can't perpetuate.

Let's do it all together!
D x
goodluck!

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
forgot to take my tablets this morning, plus I had pizza for lunch and a bottle of excellent red wine, wonderful Went to have supper and discovered my bs was 22, so I am eating plain freshly cooked popcorn and finishing up the wine. As you say monday morning is a good time to restart, as long as the bottle is empty

Glad you enjoyed it. If you're anything like me, there's no chance of any wine being left over! I also sometimes forget my tablets, usually when something different is happening like unexpected visitors at dinner time or similar. I did forget to take them with me on a recent three night trip and felt much better! But I know I need them and this is exceptional.

Hope you've got back on course today but, if not, start tomorrow morning. Don't let your lapse become a surrender!

Dougie