Hello, I'm A Gp Who Helps People Learn Low Carb Ways Of Eating

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @fatismyfriend and welcome.........you have no idea how your attitude brings hope to those of us who have struggled with the snot nosed and biased "I'm a HCP, I know best" types over many years.........many of us have been harangued and belittled because we couldn't manage to make happen what they thought we should accomplish........we have a saying here that may seem silly to some but "unless you live with diabetes of any type on a daily basis you have no idea of the frustration it produces"........its a moving goalpost on a moment by moment basis and what worked yesterday may not work today.........but at least Low Carb gives us a fighting chance of being in the right area some of the time.
I am a slim non producer t2 and been on insulin since diagnosis and whilst I cant do the High Fat bit because of other problems it has helped me reduce my need for insulin to what I consider much more reasonable levels, so fewer hypers and hypos, resulting in my latest hbA1c of 39.....putting me in the non diabetic range but my need for insulin remains.

Reactions: Prem51

Libby20

Hello there
I am a low carb GP and I teach people how to live a low carb life. I learned my skills from Dr David Unwin and Dr Jen Unwin in Southport. In turn, I am teaching health care workers, so if you have a willing doctor, nurse or health care assistant who wants to come along and observe my sessions, please give them my contact details. I run my sessions in Warrington, Cheshire in Birchwood Medical Centre(open to the patients of Birchwood Medical Centre only), and St Thomas' Church Stockton Heath( open to all). I also have a fledgling group in Princess Park Surgery, Moss Side, Manchester. Until 2014 I did not know that you could send your diabetes into remission with a low carb diet. Now I see patients every week who have done this, so read all about low carb on this great website. Tell your GP and nurse that there are many GPs who do this now, and enable their patients to regain health, come off medication and feel hopeful. It is in NICE Type 2 diabetes December 2015, (as low GI and individualized care) but your GP may not have noticed as it is hidden away in a large document.
Joanne McCormack
Hello @fatismyfriend and welcome.........you have no idea how your attitude brings hope to those of us who have struggled with the snot nosed and biased "I'm a HCP, I know best" types over many years.........many of us have been harangued and belittled because we couldn't manage to make happen what they thought we should accomplish........we have a saying here that may seem silly to some but "unless you live with diabetes of any type on a daily basis you have no idea of the frustration it produces"........its a moving goalpost on a moment by moment basis and what worked yesterday may not work today.........but at least Low Carb gives us a fighting chance of being in the right area some of the time.
I am a slim non producer t2 and been on insulin since diagnosis and whilst I cant do the High Fat bit because of other problems it has helped me reduce my need for insulin to what I consider much more reasonable levels, so fewer hypers and hypos, resulting in my latest hbA1c of 39.....putting me in the non diabetic range but my need for insulin remains.

Reactions: Serena51

Libby20

Hi im a type 1 but if I eat low carbon my sugars are alot better and now on metformin aswell.My evening readings still run high before night injection.But good all day? Any answers would be appreciated.
Thank you

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there
I am a low carb GP and I teach people how to live a low carb life. I learned my skills from Dr David Unwin and Dr Jen Unwin in Southport. In turn, I am teaching health care workers, so if you have a willing doctor, nurse or health care assistant who wants to come along and observe my sessions, please give them my contact details. I run my sessions in Warrington, Cheshire in Birchwood Medical Centre(open to the patients of Birchwood Medical Centre only), and St Thomas' Church Stockton Heath( open to all). I also have a fledgling group in Princess Park Surgery, Moss Side, Manchester. Until 2014 I did not know that you could send your diabetes into remission with a low carb diet. Now I see patients every week who have done this, so read all about low carb on this great website. Tell your GP and nurse that there are many GPs who do this now, and enable their patients to regain health, come off medication and feel hopeful. It is in NICE Type 2 diabetes December 2015, (as low GI and individualized care) but your GP may not have noticed as it is hidden away in a large document.
Joanne McCormack

Hi Joanne and welcome

Your words are music to our ears. A symphony in fact.

I am currently building up a file to take into my surgery. The file includes my story so far since diagnosis. Also a booklet forum members have put together 'inspirational stories' where many of us wrote in our own words about our journeys. The usual theme running through each one. Diagnosis. Unhelpful instructions given (In a nutshell). People fumbling in the dark to find their way to a healthier lifestyle that might not have to involve meds or it being the progressive disease you are told it is and just being able to take control of our blood sugars. 'Don't bother testing'. 'Eat anything you like but try to cut down on sugars'. "Come back in 6 months'. DESMOND courde where you are offered tea and biscuits. Then we discovered this forum. And the magic happened. But it's not really magic. The LCHF woe just works, for type 1 and type 2's. So the individual stories include everyone getting their bloods to non diabetic levels and sometimes from a very high HbA1c and usually in a very short space of time. Its a powerful tool in our battle (that's what it feels like) I'm also taking a blood glucose testing leaflet that @Rachox kindly put together. It shows must how important it is for us to test go gain that control. My gp told me I could have reversed it by low cal/low fat diet but when I asked for stats from the surgery to see how many pts had done so it seems I'm the only one apart from post bariatric surgery pts. It's a large surgery with 8 Drs, 4 nurses, 2 paramedic practitioners and other hca's. I was shocked but not surprised.

I can now add your details to my file as well as Dr Unwins paper. I expect a brick wall but you have given us hope. We are trying to get into the media to spread the word and just last week a group of us met up in Birmingham. Supported by DCUK and their PR team we had photos and videos done in the hope of getting our story out there. Took our big pants etc as we have all lost a significant amount of weight on our journey to better health. Up to now we have managed a few newspaper and magazine articles between us as individuals and a radio interview. But we thought together our voice would travel further. Hoping we van vet onto mainstream tv within 12 months. Really spread the word.

Just waiting to hear from DCUK re the next step from the PR exercise.

@CherryAA is working on a project too which should make a significant impact so I'm tagging her in.

Is there a list of other hcp's who teach people the same thing?

Thank you for joining.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi im a type 1 but if I eat low carbon my sugars are alot better and now on metformin aswell.My evening readings still run high before night injection.But good all day? Any answers would be appreciated.
Thank you

Hello and welcome to the forum. You may like to post a stand alone thread of your own that others who are T1 and low carbing will notice your question more easily. Try posting in the 'Ask a Question' or 'Type 1 Diabetes' sections. If you need any more help please do not hesitate to ask.

Reactions: zand

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox @Brunneria is there a way we can let more people know about Johannes offer in her initial comment in this thread? Tagging? Copy/paste. It's such great news.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello there
Joanne McCormack
Dr McComarck - quick question for you. Why do you suggest coming off sglt2 inbibiors (canegefozin etc.) before going low carb? My non medical understanding is that these drugs cause excretion of glucose via the kidneys. In your practical experience do they not work well when going low carb or are they simply superfluous?

Reactions: Fruitella

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And a very warm welcome from me, who is actually lucky enough to have GP who supports my low carb diet, and who originally pointed the way with his advice to try Atkins for weight loss nearly five years ago now.

I remember when Dr Unwin first joined our forum and was using lumps or spoonfuls of sugar to illustrate the carb/sugar content of various foods.

Robbity

Reactions: DJC3

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I don't understand. Just looked at your profile Fatsmyfriend and it says that you have been a member here since April 2016...Yet under your pic here it says that you are a Newbie? Just curious

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand. Just looked at your profile Fatsmyfriend and it says that you have been a member here since April 2016...Yet under your pic here it says that you are a Newbie? Just curious

Derry - All that means is the OP joined in 2016, but didn't start posting until very recently. The titles are based on participation, not chronology.

Reactions: derry60

fatismyfriend

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Dr McComarck - quick question for you. Why do you suggest coming off sglt2 inbibiors (canegefozin etc.) before going low carb? My non medical understanding is that these drugs cause excretion of glucose via the kidneys. In your practical experience do they not work well when going low carb or are they simply superfluous?
Hi Nicole, the reason why I suggest coming off SGLT2 inhibitors when going on the low carb diet is because the low carb diet results in a much lower blood glucose. When your blood glucose is that much lower you do not need to get rid of excess glucose into the urine- which is how these drugs work. I ask my patients to monitor their blood glucose after meals and to aim for a level of 4-7. The diet is the treatment, so they are stopping one treatment and starting another, with as good or better results. The meter tells the patient how they are doing. Not all GPs give out meters, so I advise people to buy them if necessary.

fatismyfriend

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
@DCUKMod is this thread appropriate for a sticky post, perhaps in the low carb forum?
Rachox- those are super results and on 50g a day. I advise my patients whom I see face to face to start on 30g a day, but say that some people may need less, and some may need or choose more. They gauge their need by their results and aim to keep their blood glucose between 4 and 7 after meals( one to two hours after the meal)

fatismyfriend

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Derry60-
I have just been reading the posts in that time, but not taking part. I have been building up my low carb practice, and moving from 1-1s to group work.

fatismyfriend

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
And a very warm welcome from me, who is actually lucky enough to have GP who supports my low carb diet, and who originally pointed the way with his advice to try Atkins for weight loss nearly five years ago now.

I remember when Dr Unwin first joined our forum and was using lumps or spoonfuls of sugar to illustrate the carb/sugar content of various foods.

Robbity
Great results- suggest your GP spreads the news in his or her local area?

fatismyfriend

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Thank you
I advise people to analyze their carb intake with the aid of the "carbs and cals" book or app. Then they can see how much they are eating. My patients- who I see face to face- generally aim for 30g a day with the aim of keeping the blood glucose in the 4-7 range. They have my support in this so you will need support, so ask your GP if you can speak to a dietitian about low carb if he or she does not know about it. If you want to be low carb, you have a right to get advice on it in my book.

fatismyfriend

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Hi Joanne and welcome

Your words are music to our ears. A symphony in fact.

I am currently building up a file to take into my surgery. The file includes my story so far since diagnosis. Also a booklet forum members have put together 'inspirational stories' where many of us wrote in our own words about our journeys. The usual theme running through each one. Diagnosis. Unhelpful instructions given (In a nutshell). People fumbling in the dark to find their way to a healthier lifestyle that might not have to involve meds or it being the progressive disease you are told it is and just being able to take control of our blood sugars. 'Don't bother testing'. 'Eat anything you like but try to cut down on sugars'. "Come back in 6 months'. DESMOND courde where you are offered tea and biscuits. Then we discovered this forum. And the magic happened. But it's not really magic. The LCHF woe just works, for type 1 and type 2's. So the individual stories include everyone getting their bloods to non diabetic levels and sometimes from a very high HbA1c and usually in a very short space of time. Its a powerful tool in our battle (that's what it feels like) I'm also taking a blood glucose testing leaflet that @Rachox kindly put together. It shows must how important it is for us to test go gain that control. My gp told me I could have reversed it by low cal/low fat diet but when I asked for stats from the surgery to see how many pts had done so it seems I'm the only one apart from post bariatric surgery pts. It's a large surgery with 8 Drs, 4 nurses, 2 paramedic practitioners and other hca's. I was shocked but not surprised.

I can now add your details to my file as well as Dr Unwins paper. I expect a brick wall but you have given us hope. We are trying to get into the media to spread the word and just last week a group of us met up in Birmingham. Supported by DCUK and their PR team we had photos and videos done in the hope of getting our story out there. Took our big pants etc as we have all lost a significant amount of weight on our journey to better health. Up to now we have managed a few newspaper and magazine articles between us as individuals and a radio interview. But we thought together our voice would travel further. Hoping we van vet onto mainstream tv within 12 months. Really spread the word.

Just waiting to hear from DCUK re the next step grom the PR exercise.

@CherryAA is working on a project too which should make a significant impact so I'm tagging her in.

Is there a list of other hcp's who teach people the same thing?

Thank you for joining.
That is fantastic work. There is a list of low carb professionals on www.PHCuk.org