hello, i'm new

trolleydolley

Hello

I have been looking for a forum to join to talk about diabetes and found you guys..

I am 36 and have just been diagnosed with Type 2. However this is at a stage where it can be controlled by diet.

I am waiting for an appointment with a nurse at my doctors practice to talk through the issues.

I've been advised to initially follow a low GI diet which I think I understand.

The one thing I'm not so sure about is fruit intake and things like Innocent smoothies.

How much fruit or smoothie type things can you eat/drink. What's the deal with fruit sugars??

Many thanks for any help you can offer

Mandy

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Mandy,

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you haven't already talked about blood glucose testing with your practice, then it should be something you address with them when next you see them.

We all have different reactions to different foods, so it would be wrong of me to say that any smoothies or fruit will be OK for you. The only way to really find out is by testing your reaction to them.

Personally, I hadn't considered smoothies, but having had a look around I have found some recipes for smoothies that are considered to be low GI. When looking at any food you need to consider portion size, personal experience tells me that some dried apricot is OK, however if I have any pineapple my blood sugars can go a little high (both are orange-light fruit).

Regards, Tubs.

Katharine

The innocent smoothies aren't so innocent. They have loads of carbs in them.

What about a whey protein powder / water shake? (Okay, I know it doesn't compare in the taste dept!)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Mandy
Tubs is right. You need a meter to tell you what foods affect you and by how much. your healthcare team should provide you with what you need while you are learning. Later they probably won't. You may not be able to cope with fruit or smoothies. there's quite a lot of suar there. You need to try one and test BG( blood glucose) before and 2 hours after. Different flavours of smoothies are likely to b edifferent.
For me Low GI was quite good, but low Carb has turned out better.
you'll have to find out for yourself.
The trouble with medication is that almost all of it causes weight gain.

trolleydolley

thanks everyone

This is all a bit new to me...haven't had the appointment through from the diabetic nurse yet but will certainly be going with lots of questions.

ta :D