Hello - New here, from Australia

JenHope

Hello Everyone,
So grateful to have found this forum!
I've recently been diagnosed with Reactive Hypoglycaemia & am feeling quite lost & scared, to be honest.
I'm hoping to gain some understanding & advice from all of you!
Thank you so much.
Jen.xx

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hello Everyone,
I've recently been diagnosed with Reactive Hypoglycaemia & am feeling quite lost & scared, to be honest.
Thank you so much.
Jen.xx

Hi Jen, sorry you've been diagnosed with RH. I don't have it myself but as a T1 I've had plenty of hypos so can definitely empathise with your situation. (I hate and loathe hypos.)
The regulars from the RH forum will probably be along later as they are mostly in the UK. Have you been advised on treatment options? Most of the RHers here seem to control their levels by avoiding carbs...
Lots of virtual hugs from New Zealand.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello Everyone,
Thank you so much.
Jen.xx
Hi @JenHope Welcome to the forum
I'm sorry for your diagnosis!
I know how that feels!
And unless you do understand what is happening, it will be difficult to get control.
I would suggest reading the RH forum, and understand that it is a food intolerance problem, and if you want to prevent hypos, finding which foods you can safely have without going hypo.
Can I ask, what tests have you had?
What dietary advice have you had?

I was diagnosed nearly ten years ago and haven't had a hypo in two years, that was because of other issues, and I achieve being free of hypos because my blood glucose levels are never out of normal levels. By keeping your blood glucose levels in normal, you don't trigger the reaction.

When you eat carbs, your pancreas works overtime and produces too much insulin, that is why you go hypo!

If you have any questions, please do ask!

A lot of doctors in the UK, just don't understand the mechanism of the condition and the dietary advice is still in the 20th century!

Best wishes