Hello & Questions From T2 Newbie

Mikeee

Hello Everyone.

My name is Mikeee and I have recently been diagnosed with type 2. I am struggling to accept it and feel I haven’t had enough information regarding the illness from the nurse at my local surgery! I am also asthmatic and have been experiencing side effects from one of my inhalers including anxiety and tremors. The inhaler is called Seretide and the list of side effects also includes "raised blood sugar levels" which I believe is part of the problem. I stopped taking the Seretide inhaler a couple of months ago and the anxiety and tremors have since stopped.

The symptoms I get at the moment include being thirsty at night, hence loads of drinking and peeing. I would be grateful if someone could explain what causes the thirst? I am also experiencing a sensation of what I would describe as a cross between pins and needles and tremors through my body. This also happens at night along with a high pitched ringing in my left ear. I`m trying to monitor what I eat and drink to see what triggers the symptoms. I would say at the moment I get the pins and needles /tremors and the ringing in my ear most nights with varying degree of intenseness!!!

Hopefully with a little help from you guys I will be able to make some sense of it all.

Regards

Mikeee

SpaceChick

The thirst I believe is caused by high sugar levels.

I get pins and needles at night in my fingers and feet.... Diabetics can have circulation issues.... Try and exercise as much as you can.

Can't help with the asthma.

Some people do really struggle initially with the diagnosis. The most important thing is to note your concerns and ask your nurse or here.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Mikeee said:
Hello Everyone.

My name is Mikeee and I have recently been diagnosed with type 2. I am struggling to accept it and feel I haven’t had enough information what to expect from the nurse. I am also asthmatic and have been experiencing side effects from one of my inhalers including anxiety and tremors. The inhaler is called Seretide and the list of side effects also includes "raised blood sugar levels" which I believe is part of the problem. I stopped taking the Seretide inhaler a couple of months ago and the anxiety and tremors have since stopped.

The symptoms I get at the moment include being thirsty at night, hence loads of drinking and peeing. I would be grateful if someone could explain what causes the thirst? I am also experiencing a sensation of what I would describe as a cross between pins and needles and tremors through my body. This also happens at night along with a high pitched ringing in my left ear. I`m trying to monitor what I eat and drink to see what triggers the symptoms, however I would say at the moment I get the pins and needles /tremors and ringing in my ear most nights with varying degree of intenseness!!!

Hopefully with a little help from you guys I will be able to make some sense of it all.

Hello and welcome mikeee. unfortunately lots of medication do have some nasty side affects. My elderly parent takes Seretide and I'm sure it's steroid based, but he is not, thankfully, diabetic.

I'm not type 2 but I'm sure another type 2 will be along with some helpful advice. If it continues or you are getting concerned about your medical symptoms, please make an appointment to see your GP.

I hope things start to improve for you very soon, good luck and take care.

Best wishes RRB

Regards

Mikeee

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: Hello & Questions From T2 Newbie

Hi
I'm newly diagnosed type 2 with asthma. My comments would be that diabetes seems to have a better support system within the NHS than asthma though both have a similar prevalence. Its easy to be overwhelmed with the diabetes diagnosis and forget the asthma ( eg today I have gone out without my rescue inhaler and forgot my symbicort this am). However asthma tends not to give huge warning and can kill if severe. I spent a lot of time finding an inhaler that works without side effects. I am now on symbicort which like seretide is a combination inhaler and it works very well. The other thing to consider is that I believe high levels of oral steroids can increase the risk of diabetes so the better you can control the asthma with inhalers and not with steroids and antibiotics hopefully will help with the diabetes control.

Cath

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mikeee

Thanks for the replies. My respiratory consultant said that oral steroids would increase my blood sugar levels and it was important to keep good control of my asthma to avoid the need of the steroids.

Mikeee

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi welcome :)

the thirst is your bodies way of making you drink and flushing out the unwanted stuff or sugar its actually a good idea to drink alot when you are thirsty dont fight it, (this is simplified) i am afraid i know nothing of asthma

good luck its hard at first so ask away with any questions

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My asthma consultant wouldn't prescribe Seretide as it didn't give the fine control he wanted me to have. Instead I have Serevent and Flixotide separately that way I can adjust the amount of Flixotide I'm taking dependent on how I feel.

My diagnosis of T2 followed a two week course of Prednisolone for a severe chest infection back in April. My long distance vision went blurry so my GP sent me off for a series of fasting blood tests followed by an HbA1c which confirmed T2.

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
Hi I am T2 but no asthma. All the symptoms you described are typical T2, and yes you need to keep the asthma under control, but you also need to address the diabetes. If one or the other is out of control you will stress your body.
You will find plenty of good advice from both the site and the forum here.
A lot of diabetic control is about what you eat and the exercise you can do, unfortunately most people find that the "experts" do not help or give practical advice. But through this site and other on line resources you can, in a very short time, work out a regime that will work for you.
I hope you get on well, and if you need anything just ask :)

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi
I am newbir diabetic too , have been having a few weird feelings the last few days , but I have been told its the changing in diet and walking ect ,,,,

but with these lovely guys about , I feel a bit more relaxed about things ,, my g.p and diabetic nurse , didn't talk to me about it , well when they did it was all double dutch to me ,,, I think the dietician nurses and g.ps should have a bit more patience and sit and take there time to explain what diabeties actually is , there too quick to pop tablets down :shock:

boo andy ahhaah

Mikeee

Thanks for the useful information. Yes the nurses seem to be quick to prescribe the tablets, not 100 percent sure metformin is the right one for me. Got an appointment coming up soon, will get the meds reviewed.

Regards

Mikeee

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The NICE guidelines say anyone diagnosed as T2 should automatically be given Metformin as they're almost certain to have been T2 long enough for diet and exercise alone to make no difference. Of course this guideline is clearly as wrong as the dietary advice the dieticians often provide.