Hello! US Type 2 in remission...

Dan M.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello all!

I'm a Type 2 diabetic in remission, and pharmacist who manages a small group of patients also working their way towards remission.

My story goes as follows:
Diagnosed at age 49 with an A1C of 6.6. The diagnosis was pretty devastating, and so I started doing what I do with any issue I run into with my patients... I started by reading all the primary research I could get my hands on. I stumbled across Roy Taylor's research, and a bunch of work done by others, and started to formulate a synthesis of the available information to design my own plan.

At onset, I weighed 143 kg and am 1.9 meters tall, so it was pretty clear that I fell solidly into the most common group of Type 2 diabetics... those whose diabetes was directly related to being overweight.

Roy Taylor's research was pretty eye-opening, but I doubted that I could maintain an 800 calorie a day diet for any appreciable length of time. So, I decided to modify it by increasing the amount of calories per day to something more manageable (1000 calories under my basal metabolic rate), but adding exercise. The exercise regimen added had a concentration of weight training, with some cardio (mostly as a warm up).

As far as diet went, I did not go intentionally low-carb/keto. Due to improvements in what I ate, the amount of carbs I ate dropped and I ran into an interesting issue... to stay under the total calories I wanted to per day and take in enough protein to support muscle growth, I ended up swapping a good amount of carbs for protein out of necessity. Some quick calculations showed that to support muscle growth, I needed 225 grams of protein per day. 225 grams of protein, at 4 calories per gram, totals 900 calories, which is a pretty large amount.

After 3 months, I had lost 22 kg and dropped my A1c to 5.5. Once that was accomplished, I began to allow my daily caloric intake to drift up a bit and to match that of a target weight of 102 kg (what I weighed when I was in the Marine Corps in my 20's, in top physical shape).

That was 2 years ago, and I currently weigh 102 kg, and my A1c is holding steady at 5.4.

Best regards,

Dan

Reactions: KennyA

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low diagnostic level & being that subset whose insulin resistance was completely down to visceral fat worked in your favour but you did the hard work. Congrats

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm glad it all worked out and that you realised that it's the Carbs that are important. I'm afraid I don't have much time for Prof Taylor's work as he is fixated on Calories and they are based on bad science when it comes to what you eat.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Well done. Taylor's 800 worked for me (it was hard) and still think it is the best intervention available for overweight or obese Type 2's. The challenge is the followup diet after the VLCD.

Reactions: OrsonKartt