Hello!

Rolloski

Hi everyone! The name is Adam and I am 25 years old. I have recently been diagnosed with being a Type 2 Diabetic (dec 2018).

I am struggling to get my head around it, especially getting the motivation to start losing weight and eating the right foods. (I LOVED my weekly takeaway).

I am currently on metformin and recently been given a blood glucose monitor to see if the metformin is doing its job?

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone! The name is Adam and I am 25 years old. I have recently been diagnosed with being a Type 2 Diabetic (dec 2018).

I am struggling to get my head around it, especially getting the motivation to start losing weight and eating the right foods. (I LOVED my weekly takeaway).

I am currently on metformin and recently been given a blood glucose monitor to see if the metformin is doing its job?
Hiya,

I was diagnosed in November last year and I am still waiting for the correct diagnosis of what particular type of diabetes I have. It was also a bit of a shock to me as I am only 26 and otherwise very healthy and active with a healthy BMI of 21.

The metformin didn’t do too much for me, but I did radically change my diet to reduce carbs which has helped to a certain extent.

At first it is very annoying checking packets for the carb amounts, but you get used to it. Test 2 hours after you have eaten to see the effect the food had in your blood glucose.

You will be flying in no time :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@daisy1 for the welcome pack.

Young to be diagnosed as T2, but things are changing all the time.

Reactions: Rolloski

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Rolloski, and welcome,

I'll tag @daisy1 for her invaluable info-sheet, she'll be along shortly. So, 25 and a T2? That's.... Young. I do hope you were checked for T1 (C-peptide test, and another one I always forget the name of). In any case, yay for getting a meter; most of us have to self-fund. Did they tell you how to use it?

As for wrapping your head around it, it takes a while... So do give yourself some time, don't feel like you have to "get on with it", because it is quite the life-changer. Some things you need to know: Practically all carbohydrates turn to glucose once ingested, so anything carby'll make your bloodsugars spike. Not just straight sugars, but starches too. Logical step: avoid carbs. That's spuds, pasta, rice, corn, cereals, fruit (except for berries, tomatoes, avocado and starfruit), anything made with wheat/oats, really... The good thing being, carbs are one of three macro-nutrients, and when you ditch one, you up the others. The choice being fats and protein. And since protein also raises bloodsugars (though nowhere near as dramatically as carbs do), guess what... Bacon's on the menu! So's butter, full fat yoghurt etc... I'm guessing if weight is a problem, you have tried a number of diets over the years, and they probably didn't work. Because you're insulin resistant, insulin doesn't do its job anymore of turning glucose into energy to burn. It just stores it in fatcells. (That's why becoming heavier is a symptom of prediabetes: NOT a cause!) Once you know that, it makes dropping weight easy. Cut the carbs, up the fats, lower your bloodsugars, lose weight. It really is that simple. I'm going a bit fast here, but if you want more in-depth explanations, try dietdoctor.com or Dr. jason Fung's The Diabetes Code. Very informative.

In any case, you're probably wondering what you CAN eat without spiking bloodsugars. Well.. Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, above ground veggies/leafy greens, full fat greek yoghurt, extra dark chocolate (85% or more), olives, nuts etc... Meal ideas? More of them on dietdoctor.com, but I like to keep it simple myself:

Scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese, mushrooms, tomato, maybe some high meat content sausages?
Eggs with ham, bacon and cheese
Omelet with spinach and/or smoked salmon
Omelet with cream, cinnamon, with some berries and coconut shavings
Full fat Greek yoghurt with nuts and berries
Leafy green salad with a can of tuna (oil, not brine!), mayonaise, capers, olives and avocado
Leafy green salad with (warmed goat's) cheese and bacon, maybe a nice vinaigrette?
Meat, fish or poultry with veggies. I usually go for cauliflower rice or broccoli rice, with cheese and bacon to bulk it up. Never the same meal twice in a row because of various herbs/spices.

I dropped 50 pounds this way and have been in the non-diabetic range for 2 years now. How do you know your meals are working for you? If you test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, you shouldn't've gone up more than 2.0 mmol/l. If it is more, the meal was carbier than you could process out again. After a while you'll know what foods spike you and which won't, so it's just a lot of strips when you start out, it'll get less as time progresses.

Metformin doesn't do much about the glucose you obtain via foods... Your liver stores glucose, and dumps it in the morning, to give you energy to start the day. (Dawn phenomenon). Metformin tells your liver to calm down a little with the dumping, (about 75% less than it used to is the average, I believe) but that's about all it does. It's not going to lower bloodsugars if you eat take-out or anything, that's not it's function. Just so you know. I'm hoping, since you didn't mention any sideeffects, it hasn't been giving you and intestinal issues? Quite a few of us can't tolerate the stuff. That was my reason to look for alternatives, and I found the low carb, high fat solution to my problem.

In any case... I apologise for giving you such an information overload, but I do hope it helps. ;) Just know you'll be okay. There may as yet not be a cure for T2, but you can get it into remission by adopting a low-carb lifestyle.

BUT: It is your choice. There are 3 options, really. 1: Going low carb without medication, 2: going low carb with some medication, or 3: going meds only. The drawback of meds only, is that it means T2 will be a progressive disease, requiring ever more meds over the years, and eventually, in all likelyhood, insulin injections. With diet in the mix you can be complication free, and possibly medication free, for a long, long time, if not indefinitely. Up to you.
Again, welcome!
Jo

T2_2018

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Adam,

Welcome to the forum. I will tag @daisy1 for an intro pack, something that really helped me on my journey to get control of my type 2 diabetes since my diagnosis last summer.

I remember being full of questions, uncertainty and confusion so please take your time to snoop around and ask any and every question you might have, there are lots of really friendly helpful people here that can help you with your journey. As a case in point, lots of people have replied in the time it has taken me to type this in!

Rolloski

Hiya,

I was diagnosed in November last year and I am still waiting for the correct diagnosis of what particular type of diabetes I have. It was also a bit of a shock to me as I am only 26 and otherwise very healthy and active with a healthy BMI of 21.

The metformin didn’t do too much for me, but I did radically change my diet to reduce carbs which has helped to a certain extent.

At first it is very annoying checking packets for the carb amounts, but you get used to it. Test 2 hours after you have eaten to see the effect the food had in your blood glucose.

You will be flying in no time :)

Checking the food packaging is certainly something I need to remember to do!

Hi Rolloski, and welcome,

I'll tag @daisy1 for her invaluable info-sheet, she'll be along shortly. So, 25 and a T2? That's.... Young. I do hope you were checked for T1 (C-peptide test, and another one I always forget the name of). In any case, yay for getting a meter; most of us have to self-fund. Did they tell you how to use it?

As for wrapping your head around it, it takes a while... So do give yourself some time, don't feel like you have to "get on with it", because it is quite the life-changer. Some things you need to know: Practically all carbohydrates turn to glucose once ingested, so anything carby'll make your bloodsugars spike. Not just straight sugars, but starches too. Logical step: avoid carbs. That's spuds, pasta, rice, corn, cereals, fruit (except for berries, tomatoes, avocado and starfruit), anything made with wheat/oats, really... The good thing being, carbs are one of three macro-nutrients, and when you ditch one, you up the others. The choice being fats and protein. And since protein also raises bloodsugars (though nowhere near as dramatically as carbs do), guess what... Bacon's on the menu! So's butter, full fat yoghurt etc... I'm guessing if weight is a problem, you have tried a number of diets over the years, and they probably didn't work. Because you're insulin resistant, insulin doesn't do its job anymore of turning glucose into energy to burn. It just stores it in fatcells. (That's why becoming heavier is a symptom of prediabetes: NOT a cause!) Once you know that, it makes dropping weight easy. Cut the carbs, up the fats, lower your bloodsugars, lose weight. It really is that simple. I'm going a bit fast here, but if you want more in-depth explanations, try dietdoctor.com or Dr. jason Fung's The Diabetes Code. Very informative.

In any case, you're probably wondering what you CAN eat without spiking bloodsugars. Well.. Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, above ground veggies/leafy greens, full fat greek yoghurt, extra dark chocolate (85% or more), olives, nuts etc... Meal ideas? More of them on dietdoctor.com, but I like to keep it simple myself:

Scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese, mushrooms, tomato, maybe some high meat content sausages?
Eggs with ham, bacon and cheese
Omelet with spinach and/or smoked salmon
Omelet with cream, cinnamon, with some berries and coconut shavings
Full fat Greek yoghurt with nuts and berries
Leafy green salad with a can of tuna (oil, not brine!), mayonaise, capers, olives and avocado
Leafy green salad with (warmed goat's) cheese and bacon, maybe a nice vinaigrette?
Meat, fish or poultry with veggies. I usually go for cauliflower rice or broccoli rice, with cheese and bacon to bulk it up. Never the same meal twice in a row because of various herbs/spices.

I dropped 50 pounds this way and have been in the non-diabetic range for 2 years now. How do you know your meals are working for you? If you test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, you shouldn't've gone up more than 2.0 mmol/l. If it is more, the meal was carbier than you could process out again. After a while you'll know what foods spike you and which won't, so it's just a lot of strips when you start out, it'll get less as time progresses.

Metformin doesn't do much about the glucose you obtain via foods... Your liver stores glucose, and dumps it in the morning, to give you energy to start the day. (Dawn phenomenon). Metformin tells your liver to calm down a little with the dumping, (about 75% less than it used to is the average, I believe) but that's about all it does. It's not going to lower bloodsugars if you eat take-out or anything, that's not it's function. Just so you know. I'm hoping, since you didn't mention any sideeffects, it hasn't been giving you and intestinal issues? Quite a few of us can't tolerate the stuff. That was my reason to look for alternatives, and I found the low carb, high fat solution to my problem.

In any case... I apologise for giving you such an information overload, but I do hope it helps. ;) Just know you'll be okay. There may as yet not be a cure for T2, but you can get it into remission by adopting a low-carb lifestyle.

BUT: It is your choice. There are 3 options, really. 1: Going low carb without medication, 2: going low carb with some medication, or 3: going meds only. The drawback of meds only, is that it means T2 will be a progressive disease, requiring ever more meds over the years, and eventually, in all likelyhood, insulin injections. With diet in the mix you can be complication free, and possibly medication free, for a long, long time, if not indefinitely. Up to you.
Again, welcome!
Jo

The diabetic nurse I saw at my local surgery was quite nice, understanding and informative. She provided me with the meter there and then and showed me how to use it properly. The instructions that came with the meter are ever so confusing! My only issue with the meter is having to pay for new "needle pricks" and the strips, from reading on this forum they can get pretty pricey??

As for being 25 and T2, I am severly overweight (6ft and currently at 304lbs) I have been at risk all of my life due to my mother being T1 ever since she was 5 years old. As a teen I was told to lose weight and lead a healthy lifestyle else I would be put in this situation. Guess who was a stubborn teen who didn't pay attention to anyone's advice??! You live and then you learn in my case.

At the moment I am not getting any side affects from the metformin, that I notice myself anyway.

I think the next logical step for me is to really watch my diet and see what works for me. I've not been a fan of carbs for the past few years due to me trying loads of different diets that in the end didnt work for me, but one thing was consistent, low carbs = weight loss. My only problem when it comes to cooking is my working hours. I am out of the house from 7.30am and I will not be back home until 7pm. I really do not like eating that late in the night and at work we only have a microwave (I really do not want to buy processed ready meal junk). I always skip breakfast too due to having to leave the house so early. Apparently it is important for me to not skip breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Many thanks for the information and I shall read through it all again later on (it was a lot to take in but thanks!)
Hi Adam,

Welcome to the forum. I will tag @daisy1 for an intro pack, something that really helped me on my journey to get control of my type 2 diabetes since my diagnosis last summer.

I remember being full of questions, uncertainty and confusion so please take your time to snoop around and ask any and every question you might have, there are lots of really friendly helpful people here that can help you with your journey. As a case in point, lots of people have replied in the time it has taken me to type this in!

I will do that thanks!

----

One thing I really do need to do is be more active but with working a desk job and getting home late I have no idea what I can do. I could try and join a 24 hour gym as we have one of those near me but I just feel like if I went before work I would be too tired at work and if I went after work I would be too tired due to working long hours? (Maybe i'm just trying to find an excuse to not join a gym)

One other thing I have also taken from this is that I'm not going to solve this over night and it is a lifestyle now. I need to get that in my head.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Checking the food packaging is certainly something I need to remember to do!

The diabetic nurse I saw at my local surgery was quite nice, understanding and informative. She provided me with the meter there and then and showed me how to use it properly. The instructions that came with the meter are ever so confusing! My only issue with the meter is having to pay for new "needle pricks" and the strips, from reading on this forum they can get pretty pricey??

As for being 25 and T2, I am severly overweight (6ft and currently at 304lbs) I have been at risk all of my life due to my mother being T1 ever since she was 5 years old. As a teen I was told to lose weight and lead a healthy lifestyle else I would be put in this situation. Guess who was a stubborn teen who didn't pay attention to anyone's advice??! You live and then you learn in my case.

At the moment I am not getting any side affects from the metformin, that I notice myself anyway.

I think the next logical step for me is to really watch my diet and see what works for me. I've not been a fan of carbs for the past few years due to me trying loads of different diets that in the end didnt work for me, but one thing was consistent, low carbs = weight loss. My only problem when it comes to cooking is my working hours. I am out of the house from 7.30am and I will not be back home until 7pm. I really do not like eating that late in the night and at work we only have a microwave (I really do not want to buy processed ready meal junk). I always skip breakfast too due to having to leave the house so early. Apparently it is important for me to not skip breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Many thanks for the information and I shall read through it all again later on (it was a lot to take in but thanks!)

I will do that thanks!

----

One thing I really do need to do is be more active but with working a desk job and getting home late I have no idea what I can do. I could try and join a 24 hour gym as we have one of those near me but I just feel like if I went before work I would be too tired at work and if I went after work I would be too tired due to working long hours? (Maybe i'm just trying to find an excuse to not join a gym)

One other thing I have also taken from this is that I'm not going to solve this over night and it is a lifestyle now. I need to get that in my head.
Well, two saying go here: You can't outrun a bad diet (as in, you can excersize all you want, but if the diet's no good, that's not going to help. And people who are weelchair bound for instance, lose weight when going low carb without running laps.), and It's a marathon, not a sprint: The diet is indeed for the long haul. I son't usually reccoment going keto, as it's not for everyone, but considering your desire to lose weight, maybe that is something to consider... A ketogenic means going into ketosis because you eat less than 20 grams of carbs a day; instead of burning carbs for fuel, your body becomes what is called "fat adapted", meaning it'll burn fat for fuel instead. It's a bit drastic, and it could give you carb flu for a few days up to a week, maybe two, but after that you'd feel a whole lot better and in the meantime, weight would be dropping off left and right. Dietdoctor.com has recepies.

You could take boiled eggs in to work, and cheeses, pork scratchings etc. Make an omelet and use it as a cold wrap for a leafy green salad with cold cuts, olives, cheese, what have you. Something you can just stuff in the fridge, assuming there is one. Full fat greek yoghurt with nuts maybe? Microwave some meat you prepaired the evening before? (Burgerpatties, sausages, chicken?) Dr. Jason Fung is rather excited about Intermittent Fasting, and since the guy tends to make sense, I do it in combination with my keto diet. I just skip breakfast, have a cup of tea or two instead of a meal. I postpone lunch as long as I can, and have dinner with my husband when he gets home. Many people follow OMAD, meaning One Meal A Day, so no, you do not have to have 3 square meals a day if that doesn't suit you. The longer you give your pancreas a break in a day, the happier it'll be. :)

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. I echo the advice given from @JoKalsbeek
I’m 4 months along since diagnosis and low carb has worked wonders for my numbers and weight loss. It is an individual choice and this forum is great for reading so much advice and some of the other threads are great for recipe ideas and simple snack/on the go meal options. Testing can be costly yes but it is very much worth it to see exactly what meals are affecting you to what degree so that over time you can have a list of ‘safe meals’ that have been tried and tested several times so that you know aren’t going to be doing you any harm.
Good luck on your journey

Rolloski

Well, two saying go here: You can't outrun a bad diet (as in, you can excersize all you want, but if the diet's no good, that's not going to help. And people who are weelchair bound for instance, lose weight when going low carb without running laps.), and It's a marathon, not a sprint: The diet is indeed for the long haul. I son't usually reccoment going keto, as it's not for everyone, but considering your desire to lose weight, maybe that is something to consider... A ketogenic means going into ketosis because you eat less than 20 grams of carbs a day; instead of burning carbs for fuel, your body becomes what is called "fat adapted", meaning it'll burn fat for fuel instead. It's a bit drastic, and it could give you carb flu for a few days up to a week, maybe two, but after that you'd feel a whole lot better and in the meantime, weight would be dropping off left and right. Dietdoctor.com has recepies.

You could take boiled eggs in to work, and cheeses, pork scratchings etc. Make an omelet and use it as a cold wrap for a leafy green salad with cold cuts, olives, cheese, what have you. Something you can just stuff in the fridge, assuming there is one. Full fat greek yoghurt with nuts maybe? Microwave some meat you prepaired the evening before? (Burgerpatties, sausages, chicken?) Dr. Jason Fung is rather excited about Intermittent Fasting, and since the guy tends to make sense, I do it in combination with my keto diet. I just skip breakfast, have a cup of tea or two instead of a meal. I postpone lunch as long as I can, and have dinner with my husband when he gets home. Many people follow OMAD, meaning One Meal A Day, so no, you do not have to have 3 square meals a day if that doesn't suit you. The longer you give your pancreas a break in a day, the happier it'll be. :)

I did not know about OMAD, that could work for me in the future but I think for now I would need something during work and after. I think at this stage it would be unhealthy for me to shock the body that much? I will have a look at Dietdoctor when I get home tonight. I will also have a look into ketogenic, do you have any idea if the DN would be against ketogenic diets? Not too sure how it would play with T2.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did not know about OMAD, that could work for me in the future but I think for now I would need something during work and after. I think at this stage it would be unhealthy for me to shock the body that much? I will have a look at Dietdoctor when I get home tonight. I will also have a look into ketogenic, do you have any idea if the DN would be against ketogenic diets? Not too sure how it would play with T2.
I'm Dutch, so I'm not sure how to read "Not too sure how it would play with T2"? Most docs seem to think ketosis is akin to ketoacidosis, which is potentially lethal. Only thing they have in common is ketones showing up in the bloodstream/urine, but not toxic levels combined with high bloodsugars. A lot of T2's are in ketosis here, and we haven't kicked the bucket yet. (Diabetic ketoacidosis usually only happens to T1's in any case). Doc might not be for it, as relatively few docs know reducing carbs works in treating T2 and/or putting it in remission.

I got lucky, I was diagnosed when everyone was on holiday. By the time I was seen, I had already implemented a low-carb diet and had the numbers that showed it was working. I reduced my HbA1c to non-diabetic levels in 2 to 3 months, and got rid of the meds (both diabetic and cholesterol), so my GP was curious to see what would happen... She's been quite supportive of her practice's guinea-pig. :) The rest of her T2's are referred to the same dietician I went to, but by then I'd already been eating low carb with wonderful results, and the advice she was giving was low fat high carb. Which I wasn't likely to go back to, as it put me in this spot in the first place. So... I'm the only one in the practice, and doing well. :) All in all... My GP's a bit of an exception. Most doctors would not be supportive of this, though the NHS seems to be waking up to the low carb message. If your DN would be supportive? No idea. Could go either way. But if your meter tells you something's working for you, the HbA1c will prove as much to her in due time.

Quite a few people here go against their DN's, GP's and course-teacher's advice... We're rebels, us. ;)

Still, all of it is up to you. Say, if you read Dr. Fung's work and think he's full of it, (or that I'm full of it for that matter), and you decide to just do what the NHS is recommending far as carbs go, do yourself a favor and test before and 2 hours after first bite, just to see what happens. Do you go over 2.0 mmol/l or not after spuds? And should you have a low carb meal, check that too... See what the meter tells you. For me, the proof was in the test strips. (And in the weight loss. And cholestrol reduction. And the fatigue going away, and the everlasting infections and inflammations too. And the foodintolerances, and the reduction in depression and panic attacks, and... You get the idea.).

You decide. And with a meter, it's that much easier to see what works for you and what doesn't. You'll be okay. Just read, learn, see what resonates with you and what doesn't... Give yourself some time to figure this out and go from there.

Rolloski

I'm Dutch, so I'm not sure how to read "Not too sure how it would play with T2"? Most docs seem to think ketosis is akin to ketoacidosis, which is potentially lethal. Only thing they have in common is ketones showing up in the bloodstream/urine, but not toxic levels combined with high bloodsugars. A lot of T2's are in ketosis here, and we haven't kicked the bucket yet. (Diabetic ketoacidosis usually only happens to T1's in any case). Doc might not be for it, as relatively few docs know reducing carbs works in treating T2 and/or putting it in remission.

I got lucky, I was diagnosed when everyone was on holiday. By the time I was seen, I had already implemented a low-carb diet and had the numbers that showed it was working. I reduced my HbA1c to non-diabetic levels in 2 to 3 months, and got rid of the meds (both diabetic and cholesterol), so my GP was curious to see what would happen... She's been quite supportive of her practice's guinea-pig. :) The rest of her T2's are referred to the same dietician I went to, but by then I'd already been eating low carb with wonderful results, and the advice she was giving was low fat high carb. Which I wasn't likely to go back to, as it put me in this spot in the first place. So... I'm the only one in the practice, and doing well. :) All in all... My GP's a bit of an exception. Most doctors would not be supportive of this, though the NHS seems to be waking up to the low carb message. If your DN would be supportive? No idea. Could go either way. But if your meter tells you something's working for you, the HbA1c will prove as much to her in due time.

Quite a few people here go against their DN's, GP's and course-teacher's advice... We're rebels, us. ;)

Still, all of it is up to you. Say, if you read Dr. Fung's work and think he's full of it, (or that I'm full of it for that matter), and you decide to just do what the NHS is recommending far as carbs go, do yourself a favor and test before and 2 hours after first bite, just to see what happens. Do you go over 2.0 mmol/l or not after spuds? And should you have a low carb meal, check that too... See what the meter tells you. For me, the proof was in the test strips. (And in the weight loss. And cholestrol reduction. And the fatigue going away, and the everlasting infections and inflammations too. And the foodintolerances, and the reduction in depression and panic attacks, and... You get the idea.).

You decide. And with a meter, it's that much easier to see what works for you and what doesn't. You'll be okay. Just read, learn, see what resonates with you and what doesn't... Give yourself some time to figure this out and go from there.

I think I would rather take an actual diabetics word over a DN/GP unless the DN/GP is actually diabetic themselves. I am going to look into that low carb course thing I saw on a post on here and see how it goes with that. I guess at this stage it is just trial and error until I find the right combination of foods for me?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I would rather take an actual diabetics word over a DN/GP unless the DN/GP is actually diabetic themselves. I am going to look into that low carb course thing I saw on a post on here and see how it goes with that. I guess at this stage it is just trial and error until I find the right combination of foods for me?
It really is a journey and a bit of a puzzle. That's why a meter is invaluable. There's no one size fits all. I do well on keto (20 grams of carbs a day or less). Other are fine with 100 grams, or 75. Depends on how bad the insulin resistance is, how much insulin you still make, how much your liver dumps etc... And that's different for everybody. And, not unimportant; it has to be a diet you can keep up. If you're miserable at 20 grams, but happy at 50, then 50 it is. Diabetic burn-out really is a thing, after all; not wanting to follow a diet they find constrictive, not take meds or insulin or... You know, just be in denial about the whole thing, rebelling. If you're happy with what you eat (and you're likely to feel better mentally on low carb too, as high bloodsugars influence mod adversely,) then it's easier to stick with it all. :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Rolloski
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.