Hello

vahid

My name is Vahid, I am here because of my father's diabetes. He is 76 years of age and has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for the past 7 years, he is on metformin medication. He has also had a quadruple bypass heart surgery 6 years ago, and he suffers with digestive issues namely constipation and sensitive stomach and bowels so he can't eat many forms of vegetables or much quantities. This is the reason I have joined this community so I can use the members experiences and information to help my father. I am very grateful for this organisation and the community for being here. Thank you in advance.
kind regards

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
My name is Vahid, I am here because of my father's diabetes. He is 76 years of age and has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for the past 7 years, he is on metformin medication. He has also had a quadruple bypass heart surgery 6 years ago, and he suffers with digestive issues namely constipation and sensitive stomach and bowels so he can't eat many forms of vegetables or much quantities. This is the reason I have joined this community so I can use the members experiences and information to help my father. I am very grateful for this organisation and the community for being here. Thank you in advance.
kind regards

Hi and welcome to the forums.

What does your father eat on an average day?

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
kind regards
Welcome!
I will leave advice to those with experience, and there are many, many helpful ones here.

Reactions: vahid

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hello!
We have several members who eat few vegetables. The question is what does he eat instead?
Tagging @Brunneria and @bulkbiker

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

vahid

Thank you so much for all the kind messages.

I tried to reply to each one separately but it didn't go through. I guess I am new and don't know how to use some of the features yet.

There was a question about my father's average daily diet;
For breakfast he would have some brown oat bread with some feta cheese. Glass of water.
For lunch he would have something like chicken breast kebab with a small amount of brown oat bread, or he might have a meal made of beef and vegetables like carrot, peas, potatoes and tomatoes with some bread. A piece of fruit such as orange or tangerine or pear. Some yogurt.
For dinner, he would have either soup with a slice of brown oat bread, or he may have some brown oat bread with feta cheese, and a piece of fruit such as apple, or peach or kiwi etc.
He doesn't snack much. He will have one or two cups of black tea no sugar a day. He will have his 8 glasses of water a day. He also tries to go walking 15 or 20 mins a day.

His glucose levels are not too bad but sometimes it can fluctuate a little just borderline high.
I have heard that aloe vera is very good for diabetes. I would like to find out how to use it and how much so maybe it can be introduced to his daily or weekly diet. I just need to make sure it would not effect BP, Cholesterol levels, kidneys, and his heart because of his previous heart surgery.

Thank you for all your support.

Reactions: Lotties

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I'm another who doesn't eat a lot of vegetables. He does seem to eat a lot of carbs so he may want to think about replacing some of them- you could try cauliflower either mashed or as cauliflower rice- replacing some of the potatoes and carrots with that may be helpful.

He should also consider increasing the amount of water he drinks.

I've never tried aloe vera so will leave that to others.

Welcome and good luck

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for all the kind messages.

I tried to reply to each one separately but it didn't go through. I guess I am new and don't know how to use some of the features yet.

There was a question about my father's average daily diet;
For breakfast he would have some brown oat bread with some feta cheese. Glass of water.
For lunch he would have something like chicken breast kebab with a small amount of brown oat bread, or he might have a meal made of beef and vegetables like carrot, peas, potatoes and tomatoes with some bread. A piece of fruit such as orange or tangerine or pear. Some yogurt.
For dinner, he would have either soup with a slice of brown oat bread, or he may have some brown oat bread with feta cheese, and a piece of fruit such as apple, or peach or kiwi etc.
He doesn't snack much. He will have one or two cups of black tea no sugar a day. He will have his 8 glasses of water a day. He also tries to go walking 15 or 20 mins a day.

His glucose levels are not too bad but sometimes it can fluctuate a little just borderline high.
I have heard that aloe vera is very good for diabetes. I would like to find out how to use it and how much so maybe it can be introduced to his daily or weekly diet. I just need to make sure it would not effect BP, Cholesterol levels, kidneys, and his heart because of his previous heart surgery.

Thank you for all your support.
Hi Vahid,

Your father eats a lot of carbohydrates in a day... Those usually turn to glucose once ingested, so not just the sugars, but the starches too. Bread and fruit, potatoes, (soup-) noodles and such will make his blood sugars go up, and metformin doesn't do anything about that. It only prevents his liver dumping a lot of glucose in the morning, mainly... Thing is, he does eat meat and cheese, so that's really good. Those have little to no carbs, depending on how they're prepared of course, (no batter!), so if he could just up those a little and cut out the carby components of his meals, he'd do a whole lot better in no time at all.

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might explain things a little further. You might also want to have a look over at www.dietdoctor.com and on this forum's own website, www.diabetes.co.uk (Not .org!).

Good luck! He's lucky to have you.
Jo

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I agree that his diet includes a lot of carbs, I could not eat that much without raising my blood sugar - could he swap the fibre in the bread for more green veg instead? Can you father eat cauliflower? maybe he would like to replace some of the oat bread with cauliflower rice?
And the peaches for a lower sugar fruit (I eat raspberries with Greek yogurt).

I have a breakfast of milled flaxseed, with a little chia seed and some oatbran, made with water and coconut milk and served with cinnamon and cream. This provides enough fibre to avoid constipation. Just be careful about introducing chia seeds a little at a time as they can cause stomach pain if you eat too much.

I choose not to go on metformin because I'd seen the impact if had on my mother - terrible stomach issues and diarrhea. Is this part of your father's problem?

Going low carb with extra healthy fats should not have a bad effect on his heart/arteries - my blood fats actually improved. Research suggests that it is processed carbs (with processed fats) that have the larger negative impact.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2869506/