Hello

Jennet

Hi
I'm newly-diagnosed Type 2 diabetic, or at least I think so.
I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with breast cancer and in the blood tests they do to make sure you can have chemo, they discovered my blood glucose was 24.5. Never had a problem before.
Alarm bells ringing, instructed by my oncologist to call my GP urgently, which I did. Tested the next day and bg was 20 - it's come steadily down since, and now is at 14.3. That's after a day on 80mcg gliclazide. And eating low carbs, going for a daily walk.
The nurse wants to up my dose and 'tickle my pancreas' into making more insulin. Which seems sensible - steroids raise blood glucose so I need to get it under control and fast.
But my questions hover around why now? Am I just unlucky? Did the diabetes cause the cancer? The nurse told me that major trauma and stress send bg levels up - I am an optimistic person and am hoping that means the levels might fall when I'm cancer free.
So have joined for advice and also to offer my support wherever I can. What I have learned so far is that forums can be great for help, advice and ideas from people who've been there, done that and are still wearing the t-shirt.
Best wishes and courage to all.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I have little personal experience to share, never taken medication for T2, but I'm sure others will have more to say.

Best of luck

Hi
I'm newly-diagnosed Type 2 diabetic, or at least I think so.
I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with breast cancer and in the blood tests they do to make sure you can have chemo, they discovered my blood glucose was 24.5. Never had a problem before.
Alarm bells ringing, instructed by my oncologist to call my GP urgently, which I did. Tested the next day and bg was 20 - it's come steadily down since, and now is at 14.3. That's after a day on 80mcg gliclazide. And eating low carbs, going for a daily walk.
The nurse wants to up my dose and 'tickle my pancreas' into making more insulin. Which seems sensible - steroids raise blood glucose so I need to get it under control and fast.
But my questions hover around why now? Am I just unlucky? Did the diabetes cause the cancer? The nurse told me that major trauma and stress send bg levels up - I am an optimistic person and am hoping that means the levels might fall when I'm cancer free.
So have joined for advice and also to offer my support wherever I can. What I have learned so far is that forums can be great for help, advice and ideas from people who've been there, done that and are still wearing the t-shirt.
Best wishes and courage to all.

Hello its nice to meet you! Likewise from the post above

Reactions: Jennet