Hello

John_ch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot!
Hi all, I have been lurking for a couple of weeks so I thought I better introduce myself!
Well I am John (42) and live in Fife, Scotland. I was diagnosed as T2 about 7 year ago. Which has been controlled by diet? My bloods had always been very good, so good that last year my GP decided that the first diagnoses were wrong and I was not diabetic… Well, a couple of weeks ago I decided to get the bg meter out and do a test as I felt like **** ( I do suffer from a few other medical problems, high blood pressure, IBS/IBD and just got the all clear on my heart after a few years of problems)
The reading was 21.6! The highest I have had before was 11. Because of my other problems and how I was feeling I contacted my out of hours Doctors. Was told to get myself to the Surgery and they would see me. Turns out my bloods were 25.7 when I got there and I had a throat infection, chest infection and a UTI. Was given antibiotics and told to see my own GP.
Doctor phone at 9:30 and asked me to come in and have fasting bloods taken. Bloods were back the next day. My HbA1c was 9.6 % and my bloods were 18. He had to re diagnose me as type 2! Was started on Metformin. Within a week I found that the Metformin did not agree with me and was changed to the slow release, but that was the same. The next week I was changed to 80mg Glicazide. I have been on it 4 days now and have no problems with it. My bloods are still high, first thing in the morning can be anything from 12 to 18.2, during the day before meals from 12 to 20 and after it can be in the mid 20s almost every day. Last night before bed it was 27.6! I stick to a low carb diet and what carbs I do have are all low to med GI. I was a head chef in a hospital so I have a good grasp of what I should and should not eat.
I have to go and have bloods taken on Tuesday (4th) and will see my DN the next week. How long is it safe for my bloods to be so high and how long should it be before I see a change I my readings due to the Glicazide?
Sorry for such a long post
John

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
hi jonh im sue and just reading your post nothing willhappen to you in the short term but not good long term youdid the right thing by going to your doctor it might take a while to get your meds right but oncethey do that you will be ok

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Welcome John ! It can take a few days before your meds start to kick in. It can actually be detrimental for your BG levels to drop too quick anyway. Hope you begin to feel better soon !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly welcome to the diabetes forum. Your B/G levels are certainly too high, but this will be also be raised with the throat infection and possible anti-biotics that you are currently taking. Having gone throught the course of the anti-biotics and hopefully overcome the throat infection, it should then give you a clearer idea as to your B/G levels.
Having a too high B/G level can bring about diabetic complications over a long term, by this we usually mean over a period of several years, though if possible it is always advisable to try to maintain B/G levels within the recognised safety bands on a daily basis, both before as well as 2 hours after eating.
Metformin is often the first choice medication for a Type 2, particularly if they happen to be overweight, but unfortunately Metformin even in it's slow release derivative dosen't always agree with the individual and can have a few nasty side effects.
Your former knowledge as a head chef in a hospital can now be put to good use, for you will know first hand the importance of the right hoice of suitable diabetic foods, their portion size, their GL loading effects, and this together with a regular modist daily exercise regime can only be of advantage to you in controlling your Type 2 diabetes.

p.s. I celebrated 'Burns Night' recently and my "haggis, tatties and neeps" didn't raise my own B/G..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If you are not overweight and have even lost weight recently then it is always possible you have Late onset T1 (LADA) rather than T2. I don't want to alarm you as the treatment route is similar but it is worth being aware of this. If your bloods don't come down by much and your weight is not high then you need to discuss the alternative diagnosis with the GP/DN. There are tests that an be run but not all GPs are aware of LADA. The implications for LADA are a faster progression to insulin thru tablets. If you aren't already low-carbing then this is essential as your bloods are so high. Do let us know how you get on

John_ch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot!
Hi all, thanks for the welcome messages and advice. I try to keep my daily carb intake between 60 and 80g a day. Bloods still reading high but it's early days yet. Bloods on Tuesday then dn the next week. Will let you know how I get on.