Hellos to world of Diabetes Type 2

Sugarlisa

12 hrs old been released from hospital after corvic and diagnosed corvic diabetic after 15 days in patient and I came home with the diagnosis of diabetes type 2 with and got to take 500mg Metformin tablets twice a day can u give me any tips or apps I can use to help on my very scarer journey xx

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
12 hrs old been released from hospital after corvic and diagnosed corvic diabetic after 15 days in patient and came home with the diagnosis of diabetes type 2 with tablets can u give me any tips or apps I can use to help on my very scarer journey xx
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Glad to hear you've been released from hospital, and sorry you left with a T2 diagnosis!

First, take your time learning about it and getting used to having this diagnosis, it's a marathon, not a sprint!

Second, you might find this informative and useful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Wish you all the best!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - the good news is that you can eat all sorts of meat, fish eggs and cheese.
If you don't eat grains, potatoes or other high carb foods you ought to feel better and see lower blood glucose numbers.
Use spices and flavourings to make things interesting, look for frozen berries to eat with cream yoghurt or sugar free jelly - even real custard is a possibility, it is low in carbs.
I found that Metformin tried to turn me inside out, it was diabolical. On a low carb diet I did not need it. I could see that by using a test meter.

Reactions: VashtiB

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
12 hrs old been released from hospital after corvic and diagnosed corvic diabetic after 15 days in patient and I came home with the diagnosis of diabetes type 2 with and got to take 500mg Metformin tablets twice a day can u give me any tips or apps I can use to help on my very scarer journey xx
Hello @Sugarlisa ,

I'm sorry about everything you've gone through recently. It's a lot of scary stuff, and now diabetes on top of it... First thing's first: Give yourself some time. It'll be a while before you recover from all you've been through, and a diabetes diagnosis is quite the blow as it is. However.... The worst of it is pretty much over with now, believe it or not. Type 2 isn't the shop of horrors it used to be. We know more now, and you can get your blood sugars back down, and avoid complications and whatnot. It's a lot to take in at first, but you'll get there. But like I said... Give yourself a moment. You don't have to get everything absolutely right overnight.

Now, as for apps and websites.... Apps are kind of useless if you don't use a meter (Get one with cheap strips, like the Codefree or Tee2. Strips are where the costs lie). MySugr is one where you log your blood sugars, and especially when you start out, it can be a great help and motivator, because it shows the progress you make.

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help you with the next grocery run, when you feel up to it, and it gives some basics on testing as well. Check dietdoctor.com for suitable meals if you are at a bit of a loss or feel very creative (they have simple meals and complex bakes and everything in between), and you might want to pick up Dr. Jason Fung's book, The Diabetes Code. It's all a bit of a steep learning curve, but you'll get through it.

Mind you, for me personally, focus lies on controlling diabetes through my diet. In part because I responded badly to the medication I was given, in part because it's the more reliable way to avoid complications down the line. And it also happened to help a couple of other conditions I have/had, making them less severe or making them go away entirely. (Chronic migraines, rheumatism, non alcoholic fatty liver disease, morbid obesity etc). But you do have options, right? Go diet-only, a mix of diet and medication, or medication only. You have to figure out what works for you. but do yourself a favour and take a moment to find out what each of those options means in regards to your own personal lifestyle, how it fits with you, and what each option means in regards to halting entirely, or slowing the progress of the T2.

Breathe. You don't have to do this alone.
Jo

Sugarlisa

Well - the good news is that you can eat all sorts of meat, fish eggs and cheese.
If you don't eat grains, potatoes or other high carb foods you ought to feel better and see lower blood glucose numbers.
Use spices and flavourings to make things interesting, look for frozen berries to eat with cream yoghurt or sugar free jelly - even real custard is a possibility, it is low in carbs.
I found that Metformin tried to turn me inside out, it was diabolical. On a low carb diet I did not need it. I could see that by using a test meter.

Thanks u what do you snack on

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While your body starts to adapt you might find a few nuts, olives or a small bit of cheese useful. But in time you'll find you don't need snacks. Its a really lovely feeling to not need food all the time

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every time you snack, you demand an insulin response from your pancreas. So the bulk of us don't really do all that much snacking, if at all. Still, there's a bunch of low to no carb snacks out there. Hard cheeses, cold cuts, sausages like bifi's, pork scratchings, extra dark chocolate (I like Lindt's, and have progressed from their 85% to 99% and the new 100%...Yum!), stuff like that. You could also go for bulletproof coffee, which tastes really, really good, or google keto fatbombs, which come in all sorts of flavors... Though I have to warn you, fat bombs can get a little addictive and stop weightloss for some.

Sugarlisa

Thanks only so I’ve had to snack so far have been spicy lentil curls from Aldi’s and been getting the full fillings which is strange for me

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welome,

You have been given some great links to start with. It can feel v very overwhelming when first diagnosed. I (being a little too dramatic) thought my life was basically over. I love carbs- I can't deny it but they are not good for my body. I have found the lower carb I go the less I physically crave them. Mentally I still do but not physically. I also find that I am much less hungry which is great! I've also lost a lot of weight - losing a bit less now because as Jo said the fat bombs can be addictive. I do find that they are great for my mental health which is suffering a bit at the moment due to my work.

read around and post- as you have already seen people on here are friendly and very willing to help- you have found a great place for diabetics. Read the success stories and know that one day that could be you.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks only so I’ve had to snack so far have been spicy lentil curls from Aldi’s and been getting the full fillings which is strange for me
Yeah, lentil curls... Bit too carby for my taste. Some of us are okay with starchy pulses, some of us aren't. A meter'd tell you. Good luck!
Jo