Help- Are These Cholesterol Results High?

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
This is a follow up from yesterday's request for information. These are the results of the blood test I had earlier this week. My diabetic nurse says I am at risk and should be on statins. I have been on a HFLC diet for 7 months. My BMI has fallen from 28.7 to 23.8 and my HBA1c from 53 to 40 in this period. Should I be worried about these cholesterol levels, please?

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is a follow up from yesterday's request for information. These are the results of the blood test I had earlier this week. My diabetic nurse says I am at risk and should be on statins. I have been on a HFLC diet for 7 months. My BMI has fallen from 28.7 to 23.8 and my HBA1c from 53 to 40 in this period. Should I be worried about these cholesterol levels, please?
Its probably a good idea if I attach the results. :) Here they are:

CHOLESTEROL
Serum cholesterol level 5.5 mmol/L [3.6 - 5.0]
Above high reference limit
COMMENT Lipid modification in NICE CG181 is based on CVD risk rather
than solely on cholesterol results. Statins are recommended for
patients with cardiovascular disease, and in those with CVD risk
> or = to 10% at 10 years. A reduction > 40% from baseline
non-HDL-cholesterol should be achieved.

HDLC
Serum HDL cholesterol level 1.55 mmol/L [> 1.0]
Serum cholesterol level 5.5 mmol/L [3.6 - 5.0]
Above high reference limit
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.5
Serum non high density lipoprotein cholesterol level 4.0 mmol/L

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Did they give you triglycerides ? Was this a fasting test ?

Reactions: zand

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Dexterdobe Does your printout show Serum triglycerides and Serum LDL figures?
You need to know those to calculate the ratios between HDL/LDL/triglycerides, which is more relevant than total cholesterol figures.

Christina0308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, sorry I can't help with the readings but I think I will have the same situation on Monday with my review, after 12 months on LCHF my results yesterday was 5.9:meh:, from 4.2, no breakdown until I see the nurse. Never been that high so may have to readdress my fat intake....not sure if that will help lower numbers. Hopefully there will be advice coming soon.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also no LDL reading? Not that it matters that much, but you do need the triglycerides.

From the figures you have quoted your cholesterol is fine.

This is what your nurse is reading on the lab report:

Irrespective of what your cholesterol is doing, she has homed in on the CVD risk of more than 10% on the Q-Risk calculation.

https://qrisk.org/three/

Anyone that scores more than 10% is offered statins. Sadly, this will include most diabetics.

It is a one size fits all calculator, and complete rubbish. You will see how rubbish it is if you play around with it and try different scenarios.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Did they give you triglycerides ? Was this a fasting test ?
I have attached all the cholesterol results. It was not a fasting test, my blood was taken about 90 minutes after my midday meal.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Dexterdobe Does your printout show Serum triglycerides and Serum LDL figures?
You need to know those to calculate the ratios between HDL/LDL/triglycerides, which is more relevant than total cholesterol figures.
Thanks. I've sent you everything that was on the report.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi, sorry I can't help with the readings but I think I will have the same situation on Monday with my review, after 12 months on LCHF my results yesterday was 5.9:meh:, from 4.2, no breakdown until I see the nurse. Never been that high so may have to readdress my fat intake....not sure if that will help lower numbers. Hopefully there will be advice coming soon.
They haven't given me my earlier results, so I will have to ask for them. I suspect they didn't test for cholesterol when I was diagnosed in November. My doctor is a senior partner at the practice. He is very stingy when it comes to doing tests. For example, 3 years ago my eye consultant asked him to test me for diabetes. He just did a urine test which was normal. I've written to him to ask why my blood wasn't tested and I await an answer.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most surgeries and clinics (including mine) require fasting for 9-12 hours before lipid testing.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I have attached all the cholesterol results. It was not a fasting test, my blood was taken about 90 minutes after my midday meal.
In that case it is about as useful as the bottom half of a mermaid.
Explains why there is no trigs.

Reactions: Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m never told to fast before my blood tests but I do!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Your cholesterol/HDL level of 3.5 is good. NICE guidelines for people with diabetes is less than 5.
Your serum cholesterol of 1.55 is good too, NICE recommends at least 1.0 (for men).

If you can get your triglycerides and LDL figures, you can calculate your ratios on here:
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
They haven't given me my earlier results, so I will have to ask for them. I suspect they didn't test for cholesterol when I was diagnosed in November. My doctor is a senior partner at the practice. He is very stingy when it comes to doing tests. For example, 3 years ago my eye consultant asked him to test me for diabetes. He just did a urine test which was normal. I've written to him to ask why my blood wasn't tested and I await an answer.
I would consider changing to another GP practice! :)

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I’m never told to fast before my blood tests but I do!
If the tester is not after triglycerides it doesn't matter much. LDL and HDL don't change that much very quickly. Triglycerides can change markedly depending on what you have scoffed.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the tester is not after triglycerides it doesn't matter much. LDL and HDL don't change that much very quickly. Triglycerides can change markedly depending on what you have scoffed.

I always fast. My bloods are next week and I was advised fasting not necessary, and it will include a full lipid panel. It always does, so I will be fasting as normal. My surgery never has been stingy with tests, thankfully.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would regard those results as excellent. Of course your Total Cholesterol is a bit high, it’s bound to be because your HDL (good) Cholesterol is high.

Just politely, with a smile, decline Statins!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed. If I have lipids done it always includes trigs though and my habitual breakfast is a low carb high fat coconut ‘porridge’, so I think I’ve had a couple of trig results skewed by it. My trig result improved once I started fasting for the test.