Help get me straight!

Ands

Hi all.

:( I'm 32 and have been diabetic (Type 1 ish) for 8 years. I find it really hard to control my sugars, diet etc. The only time I have been good was when I was pregnant with my two children (ages 7 and 5). Now I have to do it for myself I can't. I try everything and it lasts for a few weeks at most and then I go back to my normal ways. By normal I mean no insulin, no tablets and eating rubbish. Having tested myself twice in the last 24 hours I was 18.5 and 14.2!

I know there is no quick fix and this isn't going away but I just can't crack it. I am a sensible person and I love my family but something isn't getting through to me. HELP!

Ands

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
i think we all have to focus on doing what feels right for us individually

me i'm stubborn and like a challenge so i am not going to let this beat me; my dad had diabetes for many years and would stick two fingers up to the regime which i'm sure hastened him on to insulin, he then had a terrible passing last year with pancreatic cancer - the diabetes did not help that but it was not the main cause

having been diagnosed much earlier (43 and not 53) i see this as a chance to make sure i do everything right but like i said i am a stubborn cow :mrgreen:

many on here manage treats and keep in low numbers, i am envious as i am way short of that yet but i am determined to get there! today the doc told me that i may well be on Metformin when i have my review in December and that bothers me but having looked around here loads and asked questions i see that this is not the end of the world if it then gives me more chance to be "normal" and not have to scrutinise absolutely everything i put in my mouth.

i imagine with kids and insulin and everything else there are many times when you want to tell the world to ***** but if you start to sort yourself out now you will hopefully avoid all sorts of problems in the future and that has to be worth the investment now?

you made a good start by coming on here, there is lots of help and encouragement to be had if you need it/want it and even when you don't

let us know how you get on

jacqui x

Ands

Jacqui

Thanks for the reply and encouragement. I know I have to do this and I too can be stubborn, I just seem to do things for everyone else and not me!

Ands

lilibet

Hi Ands
Type 1, age 33, five weeks ago. It is murder. There are lots of times during the day when I think - sod it, I feel **** despite trying hard to manage this - pass the Minstrels and the spaghetti carbonara!!

All i know is when I feel wobbly, think about future complications and see high blood sugars it makes me feel really bad (mentally, as well as physically). For me, and it is an individual thing, taking control of something I had no control over (getting diabetes) is what is going to spur me on and make me feel both physically and mentally better.
You sound like you feel out of control and for me changing the power balance in your 'relationship' with diabetes would be a good starting place.

You have two beautiful children to spur you on and you managed two pregnancies well despite/with all the increased risks so you are capable of doing this. You have the added issues of other health problems which must be additionaly stressful and make bs management hard but maybe if you just focus on one thing at a time?

Maybe start by taking your insulin and then build up to taking all your meds over a time frame. After that maybe look at changing what you eat one meal per day and build up? You might need a couple of months or however long to do this, but you are better to improve things over the months than maintain the status quo indefinitely.

In terms of diet, have a look around the site for lots of info and pick what you can cope with for now.

Those in the know say it does get better (dont feel I am yet in the know, just trying as hard as I can to get back to normal)

L x