Help High lipids since been low carbing

bronte

Hi,
I have just returned from the doctors. They omitted to do my H score but they did report back on my lipids and they are highlighted in red as HIGH.
The breakdown is as follows:
total 6.2 (up from 5.7before low carb) LDL 4.4 (don't know what this was before) HDL 1.3 (up from 1.2)No trigs.

I don't understand why my lipids have gone up since I have been low carbing over the past 3 months. I see that Professor Clark says in his book that some people are genetically predisposed to high cholesterol.

I have also been very stressed recently could this be the cause too ? Any advise gratefully accepted.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Bronte.

Lipid Profiles ?

Can I refer you to this post I made last night in a thread entitled 'Lipids'. Here is the link for your convenience:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9327#p87671

Ken.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Hi Bronte
Just wanted to tell you that I have been losing weight since I began low carbing and some of my good cholesterol figures went up and some of my bad ones did too. My Trigs went down to 0.69 and I believe that the rises I did not want are due to the weight loss and the need for cholesterol to process the fat leaving my cells and having to go somewhere before it leaves my system. We are talking of 14 kgs in 9 months here!!
I am just not going to take statins as over and over I read that some have had them cause peripheral neuropathy!! I already have it quite badly and believe that if I am to have any chance of reversing some of it I must keep BGL low. I am doing great with that and am not going to risk my feet further with a drug that I can see no benefit in for me (female under 65 years), only harm.

Doctor accepted my resistance and will not push me into taking them saying she will review me in about 6 months time and let things take their course as everything else is hunky dory.

bronte

Thank you so much for your support and replies-this is really a very helpful forum. People are so kind and give their time so willingly. I have lost 4 stone in the past 4 and a half months so I was interested in what you were saying Clearviews about the fat leaving the cells. Is there any research on this anywhere that anyone knows of please? It does seem a lot of weight in such a short period of time even to me without some consequences some where. Well done to you on your weight loss too and good luck with reducing your own levels, I am sure that you will do it.
Best wishes
Helen

wallycorker

Helen - You seem very anxious about everything and I'm not certain why. You seem to be doing just fine diabetes-wise and weight-wise.

Spiral

I think a bit of anxiety is normal. Especially when you adopt an approach that is not recommended by the NHS. Low carb is not a method that the NHS recommends to manage diabetes and their has been lots of discussion about this in the time in have been visiting this website

It takes a fair bit of confidence to go against the doctors advice. I know that people worry that the doctors may take things less seriously or withdraw support if their advice is disregarded - I often see this fear in my work :? I work with adults who have long term disabilites.