Help! I have so much weight to lose

dogv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is so difficult losing weight with diabetes. I been there the impact of insulin and medication, the total lack of energy due to high blood sugar. I am an insulin dependent type 2 dietetic I am 46, 6”6 and I ballooned to 21 stone. At the end of July I decided enough was enough and started to take action. I have managed to reduce my weight to 19 stone and it still dropping of (I found what works for me). Different things work from different people. Here is my formula. I bought a fit bit, I started forcing myself into doing 5000 steps a day (hail rain or snow), I have slowly increased this to 15000 steps a day. Walking is great exercise low impacted look for hills bits and stairs, change your route to make it interesting. The fitbit just gives me a way to track my activity. The next thing is a food diary, workout what you eating and track every calorie. I was surprised how little snacks and portions add up, set yourself a sensible calorie limit and stick to it, plan your meal a week in advance. I changed my diet to reduce the amount of bread pasta and carbs which allowed me to reduce my insulin dose, with less insulin I was not as hungry. I also started doing to 5-2 diet, my days are Monday and Thursday. I recon just keep chipping away until you find what works for you, just don’t give up.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done,zand.This is the first time I have read this thread so went back to the beginning.You have shown that perseverance pays.Sending you a big hug.:)

Reactions: zand

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Despite set backs you keep on in your determined way. Well done @zand

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@zand. You do know you will get there. It's inevitable.
Is weight loss your main goal now since bgs are good?

It makes minutes to add weight but years to take off. As long as your heading in the right direction which you definitely are.
Your determination will always pay off. ;)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand. You do know you will get there. It's inevitable.
Is weight loss your main goal now since bgs are good?

It makes minutes to add weight but years to take off. As long as your heading in the right direction which you definitely are.
Your determination will always pay off. ;)
Thanks. I still want to reply to this and your other post properly but am not emotionally/mentally up to it right now. Sorry to keep you waiting, as soon as I am able to talk about myself again I will.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun sorry for the delay in replying, I have a lot going on at the moment.
I don't officially have an under active thyroid, but I believe it was damaged (whiplash) in a car accident about 28 years ago. My GPs have never accepted this, but my nutritionist and 2 naturopaths have both told me that's what happened. I put on weight rapidly after the accident and needed to keep to a strict diet to lose any. I believe my thyroid makes enough raw hormone but doesn't convert enough raw to active hormone. I've had a little help from my naturopath with this.

My weight currently is 14st 11lbs. ( Oh my original post was wrong - my starting weight was actually 3 pounds higher than I said due to my scales not weighing heavy enough lol) And no I'm not an inspiration, my efforts have been very inconsistent.

My first priority is to look after my mental and emotional health. After that weight is next. My BGs are not as good as I would like them to be, I hope they start coming down soonish or they will become high priority again.

And no, I don't believe I will ever lose my fat tummy. I reckon that's here to stay no matter how hard I try. :(

Sorry this sounds all disjointed, I'm not able to express myself well right now.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't officially have an under active thyroid, but I believe it was damaged (whiplash) in a car accident about 28 years ago. My GPs have never accepted this, but my nutritionist and 2 naturopaths have both told me that's what happened. I put on weight rapidly after the accident and needed to keep to a strict diet to lose any. I believe my thyroid makes enough raw hormone but doesn't convert enough raw to active hormone. I've had a little help from my naturopath with this.

My weight currently is 14st 11lbs. ( Oh my original post was wrong - my starting weight was actually 3 pounds higher than I said due to my scales not weighing heavy enough lol) And no I'm not an inspiration, my efforts have been very inconsistent.

My first priority is to look after my mental and emotional health. After that weight is next. My BGs are not as good as I would like them to be, I hope they start coming down soonish or they will become high priority again.

And no, I don't believe I will ever lose my fat tummy. I reckon that's here to stay no matter how hard I try. :(

Sorry this sounds all disjointed, I'm not able to express myself well right now.
@zand you are MY inspiration. Your fight with health issues makes me realise i can do the same.
Its the fight which inspires me not a fast easy solution to reversing diabetes.
Everything that is a wonder in my life never came easy either. Ive had to fight like h#ll and have given up a few times. Babies and now trying to lose weight.

Are you not tempted to pay for your own endocrologist to investigate your thyroid for it justified medication? or at least get it officially recognised?
My endo has seen my tsh improve so has told everyone i'm on a good diet now. Nope. Same diet just low carb, low fat.
Well medium to low fat with orilstat to reject 1/3 fat digested. Dietician is telling me she has loads of obese patients losing on it. I lost on it before, when it first came on the market.
Like you I know my over-weight status hampers my diabetes fight and well-being. I will always be obese. Even after bariatric surgery. They predict I will lose about 5stone,but even that will take more pressure off my back problem and give me happier self-esteem when going for job interviews. Any weight loss Iis a bonus, for me.
You WILL find a dietary solution to your added weight. I would put money on it. For sure.
I've stopped all veg and am using supplements instead. Would you consider the same?

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh @ickihun I forgot to answer one of your questions. Yes I am doing LCHF again now, aiming for (but not always achieving) <50g carbs <50g protein with no limit on fat. I also eat just twice a day and therefore eat a lot less meat ( less sausages and bacon ) as breakfast is off the menu. I don't seem to want meat much nowadays and tend to have nuts for fat and protein. From having meat twice a day I now go maybe 3 or 4 days without any at all. This hasn't been intended, it's just happened. I eat Lidl rolls more frequently too because they fill me up. I used to just have them if I needed a packed lunch or if I had a bad toast craving, now though they are part of my daily diet.

There's no way I would give up my veggies. I love them too much.

Yes I would consider paying to see an endocrinologist privately, but I struggle with meeting new people. I have a tendency towards agoraphobia too. I still have to put some recommendations that my naturopath gave me into practice, it takes time to adapt to a new diet.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @zand . Just stumbled across this thread. Don't get involved with the T2 guys and gals. I'm not T2 so any opinions or suggestions I have probably don't hold much water.
87 pages and 3 1/2 yrs +. And you are still posting WOW .
I read the 1st post and posts on page 87. I can only imagine what's in the other 86 pages.
The fact that you're still posting, still fighting and as yet at this point undefeated makes you a winner in my eyes.
Sometimes there are battles that just can't be won, sometimes embracing our enemies, stopping those daily fights and moving forward together can result in a far greater strength.
Apologies if I'm wrong on my thoughts but nonetheless I have full admiration for your strength, resilience and honesty.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Oh @ickihun I forgot to answer one of your questions. Yes I am doing LCHF again now, aiming for (but not always achieving) <50g carbs <50g protein with no limit on fat. I also eat just twice a day and therefore eat a lot less meat ( less sausages and bacon ) as breakfast is off the menu. I don't seem to want meat much nowadays and tend to have nuts for fat and protein. From having meat twice a day I now go maybe 3 or 4 days without any at all. This hasn't been intended, it's just happened. I eat Lidl rolls more frequently too because they fill me up. I used to just have them if I needed a packed lunch or if I had a bad toast craving, now though they are part of my daily diet.

There's no way I would give up my veggies. I love them too much.

Yes I would consider paying to see an endocrinologist privately, but I struggle with meeting new people. I have a tendency towards agoraphobia too. I still have to put some recommendations that my naturopath gave me into practice, it takes time to adapt to a new diet.
You are doing brilliantly.
Have you taken time to praise yourself for your efforts to date?
Your post shows me some huge steps.
I'm confident you will smash this!

Are you keep lapsing is that why you tell yourself off?
I'm told people only lapse their diets because their too severe and unsustainable.
Are you an all or nothing person? So its this way or nothing?
Stability is what your aiming for when your body is doing the absolute opposite.
Do you have a problem with routine? I have had and I conquered it by setting time targets but with no added pressure, for e.g taking my basal insulin with first set of medication needed on an empty stomach and an hour before breakfast. Relaxing as much as possible in that hour to do 3 inhalers for asthma. Making kid's breakfast and preparing mine. Then bolus, breakfast and remaining tablets. Take kids to school then coffee and phone calls with interupted weeing sessions from furosemide.
Then my day can start. I surround it with walking, most days or sleeping if ill. Then insulin and lunch (in or out) then pick kids and entertain them before preparing dinner or instructing if ill. Ill partner needs help too throughout day. Talking and dissecting everything bothering him. That can be the most exhausting part. Insulin and dinner then tv and internet movies or some relaxation. Play with kids or baths or similiar on different days. Then take 4yr old to bed.....arrr! Then peace, if I'm lucky as internet distractions for others til bed.
Hospital appointments fitted in throughout and shopping as on limited money so I have found best quality foods for less. (Mostly lidl).
Weekends are similiar except no school runs.
Today is very relaxed rather than having 4yr old on my own at elderly mum's house. Bedlam!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't believe I haven't see this thread before so I assume my memory is worse than I thought. I have no advice but wish to say how grateful I am for your help in the past, and I appreciate it even more now that I see you're trying to deal with really difficult issues while unselfishly focusing on the problems of others. You may not be in heaven now but there must be a seat in the manager's box with your name on it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @zand . Just stumbled across this thread. Don't get involved with the T2 guys and gals. I'm not T2 so any opinions or suggestions I have probably don't hold much water.
87 pages and 3 1/2 yrs +. And you are still posting WOW .
I read the 1st post and posts on page 87. I can only imagine what's in the other 86 pages.
The fact that you're still posting, still fighting and as yet at this point undefeated makes you a winner in my eyes.
Sometimes there are battles that just can't be won, sometimes embracing our enemies, stopping those daily fights and moving forward together can result in a far greater strength.
Apologies if I'm wrong on my thoughts but nonetheless I have full admiration for your strength, resilience and honesty.
Thanks for posting this, it's been really uplifting for me. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are doing brilliantly.
Have you taken time to praise yourself for your efforts to date?
Your post shows me some huge steps.
I'm confident you will smash this!

Are you keep lapsing is that why you tell yourself off?
I'm told people only lapse their diets because their too severe and unsustainable.
Are you an all or nothing person? So its this way or nothing?
Stability is what your aiming for when your body is doing the absolute opposite.
Do you have a problem with routine? I have had and I conquered it by setting time targets but with no added pressure, for e.g taking my basal insulin with first set of medication needed on an empty stomach and an hour before breakfast. Relaxing as much as possible in that hour to do 3 inhalers for asthma. Making kid's breakfast and preparing mine. Then bolus, breakfast and remaining tablets. Take kids to school then coffee and phone calls with interupted weeing sessions from furosemide.
Then my day can start. I surround it with walking, most days or sleeping if ill. Then insulin and lunch (in or out) then pick kids and entertain them before preparing dinner or instructing if ill. Ill partner needs help too throughout day. Talking and dissecting everything bothering him. That can be the most exhausting part. Insulin and dinner then tv and internet movies or some relaxation. Play with kids or baths or similiar on different days. Then take 4yr old to bed.....arrr! Then peace, if I'm lucky as internet distractions for others til bed.
Hospital appointments fitted in throughout and shopping as on limited money so I have found best quality foods for less. (Mostly lidl).
Weekends are similiar except no school runs.
Today is very relaxed rather than having 4yr old on my own at elderly mum's house. Bedlam!

Yes! I praise my efforts, not my results. :)
Yes, I was an all or nothing person. Thanks for asking the question. I hadn't realised that I'm not that person anymore until you just mentioned it! My 27(or was it 28?) sessions of counselling must have helped with that. :)
Do I lapse? Yes to some extent, but that's just life. My diet isn't severe at all because there's no upper calorie limit. If I'm hungry then I will just go over my (self-imposed) protein limit and eat till I'm satisfied. I have a lower calorie limit of 1050, but prefer it to be around 1200-1300 at least. Some days I have 1800 cals. I will not starve myself anymore. I did that for years. It's no good for my thyroid or my depression.
I don't tell myself off anymore. I am more accepting of my situation. It isn't my fault and I'm doing my best. That's all I can do.
I feel much healthier now that my BMI is down to around 35. Yes I'm still obese, but every pound that I have lost has been important for my health. It's nice to be able to travel by plane and not need a seat belt extension, and I can actually put the table fully down too. Football turnstiles are much easier to get through (not at Old Trafford though, even my son struggles with those). These little things make a heck of a difference to me and my happiness.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @zand I had the same issue with my thyroid in that I was told when I was 20 that my thyroid was creating havoc with my metabolism (one month it would be over, next under and next normal etc ) but, until it made up it's mind there was nothing that could be done. In my case my GP would still test every 2-3 years but it always came back as just being in the normal range. However about 4 years ago (34 years later) it finally made up it's mind and I'm now on Thyroxine - I managed to lose 2 stone quite quickly and do need to lose more as it slowed before I hit my target weight but I do feel better for being on the Thyroxine. Does your doctor even test your thyroid?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't believe I haven't see this thread before so I assume my memory is worse than I thought. I have no advice but wish to say how grateful I am for your help in the past, and I appreciate it even more now that I see you're trying to deal with really difficult issues while unselfishly focusing on the problems of others. You may not be in heaven now but there must be a seat in the manager's box with your name on it.
lol it's not your memory at fault - it's the fact that I didn't post on this thread for a couple of years, that's all. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes! I praise my efforts, not my results. :)
Yes, I was an all or nothing person. Thanks for asking the question. I hadn't realised that I'm not that person anymore until you just mentioned it! My 27(or was it 28?) sessions of counselling must have helped with that. :)
Do I lapse? Yes to some extent, but that's just life. My diet isn't severe at all because there's no upper calorie limit. If I'm hungry then I will just go over my (self-imposed) protein limit and eat till I'm satisfied. I have a lower calorie limit of 1050, but prefer it to be around 1200-1300 at least. Some days I have 1800 cals. I will not starve myself anymore. I did that for years. It's no good for my thyroid or my depression.
I don't tell myself off anymore. I am more accepting of my situation. It isn't my fault and I'm doing my best. That's all I can do.
I feel much healthier now that my BMI is down to around 35. Yes I'm still obese, but every pound that I have lost has been important for my health. It's nice to be able to travel by plane and not need a seat belt extension, and I can actually put the table fully down too. Football turnstiles are much easier to get through (not at Old Trafford though, even my son struggles with those). These little things make a heck of a difference to me and my happiness.
I hope I get where you are. Fantastic success.
I think your achievement to date is definately worth huge praise and celebration. It must have been very very tough.
Ive read some success stories which sound like its been so easy for them to lose on lchf. Nothing like that for me...or you?
My 3stone loss has been h#ll to find but now losing with relative ease. When your body is doing what's right it proves we are eating sensibly.
I wish I truely knew how all of a sudden I've started to lose?
My tsh has returned to good levels and loss is slow not huge ups and downs.
I cannot truely be 100% convinced its orilstat as i was losing before it. i know my thyroid just started going overactive so levothyroxine was reduced.
Definately low carb related but on high fat it just added as protein got used instead of carbs. So keeping carbs at 150gs still burns carbs not protein but basal insulin in the huge amount started my loss.
Ive never added when my bgs are kept low with insulin. I guess that longterm with metformin has got movement in the weight loss department.
Im sure that's why im losing weight.
Ive been losing muscle rather than fat. Still huge amounts of fat, all over. Im as weak as a kitten. Hoping bariatric surgery will starve the fat cells for fat loss without hunger. Fingers crossed if my body still behaves itself!

Deep down i really really wanted lchf to do the trick for me. My palpatations started there but id heard some losing greatly even with palpatations and low blood pressure. No lower blood pressure for me, either. Mine went up! More tablets.
The human body is too complicated for me at times.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @zand I had the same issue with my thyroid in that I was told when I was 20 that my thyroid was creating havoc with my metabolism (one month it would be over, next under and next normal etc ) but, until it made up it's mind there was nothing that could be done. In my case my GP would still test every 2-3 years but it always came back as just being in the normal range. However about 4 years ago (34 years later) it finally made up it's mind and I'm now on Thyroxine - I managed to lose 2 stone quite quickly and do need to lose more as it slowed before I hit my target weight but I do feel better for being on the Thyroxine. Does your doctor even test your thyroid?
Yes I've had several thyroid tests. Several years ago my first naturopath wrote to my GP to tell him what she had discovered and to ask him to do various blood tests for me. He agreed to all but one of the tests (because it wasn't allowed on the NHS) , but was adamant there is nothing wrong with my thyroid. Maybe I should push for more help with it, but tbh I'm tired of it all now.