Help! I have so much weight to lose

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another update.

50 days ago I bought myself a ketometer (thanks for the advice @bulkbiker ) Since then I have stayed in ketosis (apart from a blip of 5 days) and have lost 20 pounds.

Today is the day I have been waiting for! Today I fall into the obese category of the BMI charts, not the seriously obese and not the morbidly obese bit which was where I was when I started this thread. It's taken a long time but this is a huge milestone for me.

I am updating on this old thread because when I was a newbie there was a thread from someone else which really inspired me. Sadly that thread just drifted into nothingness. I can guess that maybe the OP fell off the wagon or had other problems along the way. I decided to continue my thread even when the progress slowed to encourage others who didn't manage to shed the pounds as quickly as some.

I AM OBESE YAY! :D

Now the long journey to becoming overweight starts...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Another update.

50 days ago I bought myself a ketometer (thanks for the advice @bulkbiker ) Since then I have stayed in ketosis (apart from a blip of 5 days) and have lost 20 pounds.

Today is the day I have been waiting for! Today I fall into the obese category of the BMI charts, not the seriously obese and not the morbidly obese bit which was where I was when I started this thread. It's taken a long time but this is a huge milestone for me.

I am updating on this old thread because when I was a newbie there was a thread from someone else which really inspired me. Sadly that thread just drifted into nothingness. I can guess that maybe the OP fell off the wagon or had other problems along the way. I decided to continue my thread even when the progress slowed to encourage others who didn't manage to shed the pounds as quickly as some.

Wow!
Look at you!
Well done @zand.

I'm in awe. You were determined to lose weight. You have never deviated from that hunger for a loss.
I'm so happy for you. :) :) :)

I'm too not going to deviate and I have plenty to lose for.
Even after my op you will still be lighter as I won't lose 10+stones. I'll be happy with 7st loss. Even more once diabetes and thyroid settles down.
Stability is the key.
Have you found that?

Reactions: zand

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another update.

I just found out the same thing yesterday. Goodbye to morbidity! Congratulations!!!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yay! A great milestone reached and here's to continued success. Well done that lass!

Reactions: ziggy_w and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, @zand - something very worthy of shouting about.
I think it was you who said that you had read that if you stay at a lower weight for a year then the chances are it will stay off. Well in the last 4 years my weight has fluctuated a bit, but even when I fell off the wagon or experimented with other diets, or when life got difficult, my initial 2 stones loss stayed off. So now I am working at losing some more so that I never go back into the seriously obese bit of the chart ever. I think another stone should get me to a more comfortable place. What I am trying to say in my clumsy way is that you were right! Keeping the weight off for a year is important. :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nor me. It's over 14 years since I was this 'light' lol. :)
It happened practically overnight for me, due to meds in 2005. When I look in the mirror now I finally feel like I'm looking at myself again, rather than a stranger. Still have 5 to 10 kilo's to go for "my ideal weight", but if I stay this way I'm happy too. ;) Gift horse and all, haha.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it was you who said that you had read that if you stay at a lower weight for a year then the chances are it will stay off. Well in the last 4 years my weight has fluctuated a bit, but even when I fell off the wagon or experimented with other diets, or when life got difficult, my initial 2 stones loss stayed off. So now I am working at losing some more so that I never go back into the seriously obese bit of the chart ever. I think another stone should get me to a more comfortable place. What I am trying to say in my clumsy way is that you were right! Keeping the weight off for a year is important. :)

I can't recall coming up with that particular nugget, but I'd probably agree with it. :)

Reactions: ickihun and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It happened practically overnight for me, due to meds in 2005. When I look in the mirror now I finally feel like I'm looking at myself again, rather than a stranger. Still have 5 to 10 kilo's to go for "my ideal weight", but if I stay this way I'm happy too. ;) Gift horse and all, haha.

I know that BMI charts are not perfect and I don't think a BMI of less than 25 was ever correct for me. I did notice though that when I was morbidly obese was when my health really started to suffer and I picked up several conditions, Type 2 being one of them. I also notice, like you that now I am merely obese I am beginning to 'look like me' again. OK, a fat version, but it's me when I look in the mirror now. :)

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Connie! You doing OK?

Yes still plodding on trying to keep my numbers at least in pre diabetic levels but had a stressful few months and a new diabetic nurse whom I did not hit it off with to say the least! Told me I would have to go back on medication if my numbers went up again I’ve gone from 42 to 46 still prediabetic . I am really being good to prove her wrong on next blood test in December .
So glad you have found a diet that works for you !