Help! I have so much weight to lose

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @zand will you please forgive me for not reading this thread, it's only by accident I have come across it now!
You are an inspiration and knowledgeable and a mainstay of this forum!
You helped me so much to get my head around eating low carb and the fats and of course, footie!
So I'm not going going to tell you anything about how to do this, that or the other, I know you can get there or kick **** trying to.
It is more about how you feel and what makes you happy and content.
My problems are small compared to yours and all them women's things on top!!!

I, because of you and others have found my balance of how I eat and fast.
I have had to battle from childhood poverty, to drag my own family into a more secure future, then through my hell, then the wife's problems. It is always a battle, but as you are, I'm really up for it, I wouldn't support lost causes like my footie team and have the great job I do, without a battle. I'm weird, I've accepted that!
As the saying goes, life is ****, then you die!
So keep battling, keep trying, do not give up!
There's too many diabetics out there that need and want your experience and expertise.
If that doesn't give you a lift, I've heard Wenger has decided to change his philosophical approach to footie and has asked big fat Sam to be his first team coach!

Only joking!

Best wishes, mate!

C'mon Leeds!

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
zand post: 1556468 said:
Yes I've had several thyroid tests. Several years ago my first naturopath wrote to my GP to tell him what she had discovered and to ask him to do various blood tests for me. He agreed to all but one of the tests (because it wasn't allowed on the NHS) , but was adamant there is nothing wrong with my thyroid. Maybe I should push for more help with it, but tbh I'm tired of it all now.
Wait til you're ready. I was like that about agreeing to bariatric surgery 3 yrs ago. I was not in the right frame of mind, then. I'd had enough of diets and doing things this way, that and the other. I had burn out. I threw the towel in. Insulin gave me a fresh hope because I associated it with pregnancy of my 2 boys. Happy times.
When your ready it will all fit into place. More awareness, even for endocrologists hun. They rely so heavily on patients telling them the truth but so many just tell them what they want to hear incase of being discharged. That's where I differ. I've told mine truth from start. Lchf diet but he called it faddy diet due to old dieticians been told rubbish too. My new dietician has cals and carbs on her desk. Yipee! The word is out.
I've lost on lower carbs. Low carb choices. Diabetic dietician eas asking me what I was eating and when. I told her no snacks except if bgs waving towards hypo before bed. Which is the truth and it acts as liver block too.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @zand will you please forgive me for not reading this thread, it's only by accident I have come across it now!
It's a very old thread which has been dormant for years, so why would you read it? When I started it I was desperate. Whilst I still have a lot of weight to lose things aren't so bad now. I can cope with being this size although of course I would like to lose more.

You are an inspiration and knowledgeable and a mainstay of this forum!
Maybe once upon a time, but not anymore. There's plenty of folk who are more knowledgeable and helpful than me.

If that doesn't give you a lift, I've heard Wenger has decided to change his philosophical approach to footie and has asked big fat Sam to be his first team coach!
lol I think after the humiliation of the trip to Liverpool the family would be quite happy with that. :rolleyes: Thankfully I missed that one and will miss the Chelsea game next week too. :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I've had several thyroid tests. Several years ago my first naturopath wrote to my GP to tell him what she had discovered and to ask him to do various blood tests for me. He agreed to all but one of the tests (because it wasn't allowed on the NHS) , but was adamant there is nothing wrong with my thyroid. Maybe I should push for more help with it, but tbh I'm tired of it all now.
It seems I was lucky with my GP as he always said that he thought my thyroid was under active as I had all of the symptoms but he couldn't do anything until it showed up in a blood test.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's a very old thread which has been dormant for years, so why would you read it? When I started it I was desperate. Whilst I still have a lot of weight to lose things aren't so bad now. I can cope with being this size although of course I would like to lose more.

Maybe once upon a time, but not anymore. There's plenty of folk who are more knowledgeable and helpful

I can't believe you have said that!

Give yourself some kudos!

You deserve it!

Reactions: Daphne917

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was thinking of you today because I read last night a sentence from 'think like a pancreas'.
It says to lose weight on insulin then reduce stress levels. As insulin doesnt work as well when the body is stressed.
Have you lost more weight since receiving counselling help?
I think I have.
I will mention it at my next psychologist appointment.
My adrenalin level was tested recently but in line with norm.
Stress is very very damaging.
I hope you are relaxing this evening and manage to find some deserved @zand time. Wishing you well, always from ickihun.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking of you today because I read last night a sentence from 'think like a pancreas'.
It says to lose weight on insulin then reduce stress levels. As insulin doesnt work as well when the body is stressed.
Have you lost more weight since receiving counselling help?
I think I have.
I will mention it at my next psychologist appointment.
My adrenalin level was tested recently but in line with norm.
Stress is very very damaging.
I hope you are relaxing this evening and manage to find some deserved @zand time. Wishing you well, always from ickihun.
I paid for an adrenalin test and it was still high, though I believe it's much better than it was.
I have noticed though that my dreams make sense now, I can usually work out why I dreamt what I did nowadays, so I'm obviously dealing with day to day stuff better than ever before.
Thanks for thinking of me. :)

NisaReis

Loss weight is the most important thing for the type 2 diabetes patient. Due to obesity, a person is getting more suffered from diabetes. According to your weight and age, you have to loss your weight. What is your current age and weight?
I am sharing one of my experiences. My uncle is a type 2 diabetes patients. Doctor prescribe d him to lose 20kg of weight. So he did his weight loss surgery. Now his diabetes is under control.

Edited by moderator to remove name of clinic

Last edited by a moderator:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Lose weight is the most important thing for the type 2 diabetes patient. Due to obesity, a person is getting more suffered from diabetes. According to your weight and age, you have to lose your weight. What is your current age and weight?
I am sharing one of my experiences. My uncle is a type 2 diabetes patients. Doctor prescribe d him to lose 20kg of weight.Vow his diabetes is under control.
Fantastic news. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I must admit I'm having a wobbler about needing 9st off. 4st has come off fairly easily.
I have a dietician appointment on 21st december. Talk about spoiling someone's Christmas!
I'm not very happy about it. Because oart of bariatric programme I cannot get out of it.
Maybe I should thank my lucky stars that I'm far healthier than last yrs 21st december. I was bedbound in most of november-december'17 and in and out of a&e. My asthma inhalers have solved alot of the problem.
Here's to weight loss year 2018 for me! :)

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit I'm having a wobbler about needing 9st off. 4st has come off fairly easily.
I have a dietician appointment on 21st december. Talk about spoiling someone's Christmas!
I'm not very happy about it. Because oart of bariatric programme I cannot get out of it.
Maybe I should thank my lucky stars that I'm far healthier than last yrs 21st december. I was bedbound in most of november-december'17 and in and out of a&e. My asthma inhalers have solved alot of the problem.
Here's to weight loss year 2018 for me! :)

@ickihun Have you got to lose 9st before they'll do bariatric surgery?

I'm guessing that the 4st is off the 9 so you are almost halfway there which is brilliant. Glad to read that you are so much healthier than last year.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun Have you got to lose 9st before they'll do bariatric surgery?

I'm guessing that the 4st is off the 9 so you are almost halfway there which is brilliant. Glad to read that you are so much healthier than last year.
I've lost all the weight I needed for bariatric surgery. In fact smashed it but..... dietician wants blood at mo and I have none spare. Ha ha
Trying to cover Christmas in my bad walking condition and keep everyone happy. Well dieticians.
No 4st and 9st is needed off or bariatric surgery but I'm trying to do most of the work myself. So still 9st needed off for diabetes but I've smashed my weight loss for surgery and some.
They aren't still happy. I'm hoping dietician had a bad day. Or me, maybe.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ickihun you are absolutely nailing this - I love your posts on every thread I've seen you contribute to - you're an inspiration. Don't be fazed by the dietitians - take each day as it comes and continue nailing it!

:happy::happy::happy:

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost all the weight I needed for bariatric surgery. In fact smashed it but..... dietician wants blood at mo and I have none spare. Ha ha
Trying to cover Christmas in my bad walking condition and keep everyone happy. Well dieticians.
No 4st and 9st is needed off or bariatric surgery but I'm trying to do most of the work myself. So still 9st needed off for diabetes but I've smashed my weight loss for surgery and some.
They aren't still happy. I'm hoping dietician had a bad day. Or me, maybe.

I think that you have done brilliantly.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun you are absolutely nailing this - I love your posts on every thread I've seen you contribute to - you're an inspiration. Don't be fazed by the dietitians - take each day as it comes and continue nailing it!

:happy::happy::happy:
Thanks @Snapsy .
You would have been proud of me last week in me tackling the ice to get out my house. I did it crying as I was terrified but Mr ickihun saved me like Sr Lancelot. Ha ha bless him. I just needed to cross the cul-de-sac ice packed narrow road but so compressed it was lethal.
Looking forward to daily walks more in spring as very windy here today. I'm out most days, if I can. These back to codeine and co-codamol meds side effects of dizziness doesn't help but hoping once I'm used to the codeine mix again it settles down. See you on walking log soon. ;)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Loss weight is the most important thing for the type 2 diabetes patient. Due to obesity, a person is getting more suffered from diabetes. According to your weight and age, you have to loss your weight. What is your current age and weight?
I am sharing one of my experiences. My uncle is a type 2 diabetes patients. Doctor prescribe d him to lose 20kg of weight. So he did his weight loss surgery. Now his diabetes is under control.

Edited by moderator to remove name of clinic
Many type2s are regaining confidence too after bariatric surgery, I'm hearing. Positive attitude is an attribute but if dealing with depression no matter what anyone says it doesn't help.
Many have to get help with depression before considering bariatric surgery, in my opinion. Luckily in the UK psychologist are assigned before op.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I would say stick to a rigid diet and exercise daily that is how I lost my weight, I averaged about 2 lbs a week for three years and lost 6 stone...hard yes but can be done I thought that if I lost the weight the diabetes would go too but no it never did and runs in the family so have to try manage it as best we can ..keep smiling and go for it ...you can do it

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just a note most antidepressants add weight and if considering bariatric surgery then get weighed after weight has increased from tablets as very very hard if after first weigh in as it will show negatively on trying to lose. I know this post isn't about surgery but I felt I owed a responsibility since I mentioned it.