Help, i'm new to an accu-chek combo pump

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks for the offer but i already have the 6mm ones. I used to do my basal injections in my bum so i'm sure i could try it but i don't think i like the idea of having it there lol. Yes i have been set up with basic functions, she said she would look at it again in a months time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Fig...

It sounds like you are coming to the end of your last long acting insulin shot.

I am a size 10 and cannot put sets in my stomach because of bending etc (I'm a gardener).

Sent you details... Don't hesitate to contact me. You need to check yourself during the night and give yourself shots of quick acting insulin as necessary...don't risk hypo's, do not OD or put yourself at risk of severe hypo's to get levels down. Your levels should've e down with manual delivery of insulin overnight. Don't forget quick acting will last about 4-5hours in your body....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
OMG.... You are not getting full access for a month?

The bum cheeks are the most comfiest place... Honest...you can even sit on the and makes no odds.the worst place for a size 10 is near your hip bones because they can so eti d's feel like they are stabbing the bone!!

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks, i have been injecting every 4 hours and i seen to be able to manage it but not perfectly. I have tried increasing the temp basal rate on the pump but that didn't make any difference either, forgot to say that. I wonder if your right about my long acting insulin but it was sunday evening and only 2 units lol. I had 11 unties on sunday morning so i wasn't on a lot anyway. I have to do lots of bending too with a 1 year old and a 2 year old so i may try out your idea when i feel brave enough :) Thanks to everybody for all your tips so far, this forum is GREAT :happy:

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
lol sharon i don't think i am anywhere near as skinny as you as my hip bones are well buried ;). I am putting them in above that, kinda between my hip and my bottom rib if that makes sense.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes it makes sense...I'm lean and muscly but have a J Lo bottom!!!!(wish boobs were of same proportion-but hey ho!!-lol!!)

I too was instructed there and on my 1st set during the summer it actually fell out!! Next one I put in (these sets have now been withdrawn by the way) it occluded eventually. These were flexi d's that were withdrawn, and I complained to MHRA and on this website and to hospital, and to Accuchek, but no one listened to me really..... Then all of a sudden they were withdrawn.... And never put back into circulation again.

However, I do not think this is your problem at all. Keep an eye out tonight. You got my PM's...if you got a mobile even, I will send you photo of how much space there is on a bum cheek and where mine are placed etc....

I do not think you are loading your sets wrong etc... 5 hours to 24 hours after putting in a new cartridge you may get airbubbles which are worth looking for.. But I do not believe you are doing anything wrong.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry about my typo errors!! Hope you get gist of my words. You got details in PM. Don't hesitate to use them.

Admire you coping with family too!! Need to get you level asap and happier with your pump, sets etc.....Do check bloods during night....xx

jodysd6

One thing I do if I have to replace a dodgy set is when I take it out I then reattach the reservoir with a bit of insulin or even water in and screw the plunger back in, then try pushing liquid through first just the tubing and then with the used cannula reattached, it gives me an idea if it was likely to be a blockage in the cannula itself or if it was in the tubing, or in fact if there was no blockage at all. It doesn't solve the problem as by the the set is out and replaced but when I was having a lot of problems it did help narrow down there the problem was happening which helped me find a better way.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If you replace a set you should not have to do anything to the reservoir or tubing (other than priming the set).If you have an occlusion you are wise to change the whole caboodle's- reservoir, tube, set etc....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fluffing around trying to work out what the problem is, or just incase it's a blockage is just flagging around, as whatever you think was the problem.. It won't be, and normally the majority of the time it is due to the set anyway with Accuchek pumps...

iHs

Hi fig

Its vrry difficult at times for othrrs to work out what's going wrong as it could be many things tbh...... which doesn't help the person affected :( :) I myself was ok for a while but then got problems with occlusions and loads of anxiety. What calmed me down was common sense and using my insulin pen to correct high bg levels and then when bg dropped put my sherlock hat on and try to fathom out the problem.
I like the rapid d set myself but not everyone can get on with it so to make things a bit more easier for you, I would suggest you try the Tenderlink as that set rarely causes problems although many dont like the look of the introducer needle but once the tip of the introducer has pearced the skin, it just slides in so not really a problem. You can numb the skin off a bit with a pack of frozen peas held against the skin if you feel discomfort anyway. Youtube shows how to insert tenderlink, silhouette etc so you can see how its done. The tubes on Tenderlink are mat looking and slightly thivker in diameter so easy to spot trouble.

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well i survived the night ;). I had changed my cannula at 5pm yesterday evening (i thought it was worth one more go lol) and corrected my high using my pen but left the basal rate running on my pump. I went to bed at 11pm and my bg was 8.1. I tested it at 1am expecting it to have risen but hoping it hadn't and the cannula was working, it was 8.1 again :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:. This morning at 6:30am it was 4.1, i know thats a bit low but its so much better than it being 20 odd. I am not changing this cannula until the new ones arrive on monday!

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The high you corrected with the pen means you need to work that injection amount into your pump basal profile, or increase bolus dose in previous meal depending on the time you ate and bolused to stop you getting high in the first place, make sure you explain to your dsn how much you are correcting, and when for then to advise adjustments on your pump.

Reactions: 2 people

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks brett but i was high as i hadn't been getting any of the basal insulin as i seem to be having problems with cannula insertion or the cannulas are faulty, not because i had given the wrong amount of bolus for my carbs, I hadn't eaten so i know it wasn't that.

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your advice iHs, i like the look of the tender link and i think it would be better for me because of my lifestyle but dsn showed me a cannula just to prove to me that in her words ' they are so big and must really hurt, can't understand why people want to use them' although she has 2 patients that do and they say they would never use anything else. She was trying to put me off, but she hadn't realised that you have to remove the blue plastic cover and she tried to push it into the teddy with the cover still on, no wonder she thinks they will hurt :D

iHs

Gosh fig it takes all sorts in life but fancy a pump dsn not knowing that the blue needle cover needed to be pulled off first...... well lol
See how things go for you when the other sets turn up but if things get on top of you with good delivery then bad, then its likely to be basal rathrr than set but of course base yr basal around a set that causes less ptoblems and gives goodish delivery rather than keep chopping and changing infusion sets, thats why I suggest the Tenderlink as its fairly reliable and Ive seen skinny kids use them in their upper tummy which amazes me lol

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry not been on here for a while so missed your post with your problems! Congratulations on getting your pump sorry you are finding it so difficult!! I'm on the rapid ds and have had no problems with an 8mm needle, in fact I was the opposite constantly hypo for the first days.
Are you on the same insulin in your pump as to what your on for MDI? How are you getting on now?

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi K8tie_x yes i am on the same insulin as i was before, novorapid. I am doing ok as i managed to get 2 cannula's on the trot that have worked so feeling a bit more confident now. I have rapid d's 6mm so i wonder if that is the problem? I have just received some new cannula's from roche to try 6 and 8 flex links so we will see which one i can get on with the best. My DSN called today and said she would contact me again on thursday due to all the problems i'm having so i feel a bit happier now. How is your pregnancy going? I hope everything is ok :)

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brilliant glad your getting somewhere with it I bet you've been so frustrated! Can't comment on the flex links as I've only used the 8mm rapid d but luckily I've been fine with them other than having one occlusion warning and a couple of bloody cannulas.
I'm surprised DSN hasn't been in touch much with all the problems to be honest! I felt thrown in at the deep end when I started with mine thank god for the wonderful people on here this forum has been a godsend to me and I'm sure it will continue to be for many others