HELP ME PLEASE! Never had a craving like it :( Struggling not to give in

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, my recommendation for Lemon Pepper seasoning, then not being able to find it in the supermarkets sent me on a guilt trip (Yes, I like it that much!). So I've just communed with Dr Google and there are lots of recipes to do it home made (and it'll save me bringing it back!).

This one looks good: http://wellnessmama.com/4538/lemon-pepper-recipe/

Consulting again with Dr Google, I see there are lots of options for acquiring pre-dried zest, which makes it even quicker, and would likely negate the need to store "made" batches.

Enjoy!

On the strength of last night, I have taken the rind off my little pork loin joint, destined for the oven shortly, and applied a generous amount of the LP seasoning to the remaining fat. It'll be delicious, and I can make crackling tomorrow if I fancy it. I like to season my standalone crackling with salt and chilli flakes.

Who knew those little piggies could be so versatile?

:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Have you experimented with reheated chips. Reheated potato does not spike me.
I believe some do, some don't. ;)

MissMac

When I get these sort of salt cravings that a handful of. Peanuts doesn't.sort out I think it is my bodies way of telling me that I need more salt so I have some Marmite in hot water (Ok love or hate )
CAROL
Oooo I love marmite.....I might try that one day! x

MissMac

Have you experimented with reheated chips. Reheated potato does not spike me.
I believe some do, some don't. ;)
I haven't but then again I didn't eat pots for years as they bloated me so badly so I am more interested in not starting to eat them again and just crack on...but I might bear in mind for years and years from now! I've just had a bolognese thing the other half insisted on putting carrot in which I know is not good and am proper worried what the BG is gonna do but hey..life's a bit too short to panic too much (she says til she sees horrid numbers).
And @AndBreathe I love Dr Google now I no longer have to triage people who attend A&E having done the same...the stories I could tell you!!!! I shall have a look though have found some chicken today that is lemon and pepper so gonna have that one night! x

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I know that's kinda where I am but also know how rough I will feel which is putting me off....rough mentally that I have let myself down more than physically as, as say..I feel rough anyway so don't think it will make much difference!!! xx
Don't beat yourself up about having a treat once and a while. As a long term dieter who has stuck to the regime for months on end, a little of what you fancy does you good. It's not going to change anything whether it's weight loss or BG (well just a bit) and you might feel yugh afterwards (doesn't stop people drinking).

The trick is making the treat once in a blue moon.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We do occasionally have fish and chips from the chippy and I just remove the batter from the fish but I can't resist having some of the lovely chips with lots of salt and vinegar but it does not make me crave for more carbs but then I never was a big sweet or starchy carb eater before T2

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
SO as we know I am doing the LCHF and doing alright, sugars can be a bit high but still always under 7 and more often than not in the 5's which is OK with me as I know I am still not doing this right! ANYWAY! I digress. I have not had cravings since I started this...surprised really as I was literally a carb or nothing girl, biscuits, cake, chocolate.
Today I've really not been feeling great...whether it's all the gloss work the man's done, the white spirit smell or what..but on and off ALL day I've just felt sick sick sick. We had dinner planned for tonight but I cannot stomach the thought...then it came to me ALL I want is chip shop chips with loads of salt and vinegar...I am REALLY struggling not to just go sod it and have a small portion...I know I will spike....I just won't test..I know I will feel like hell but to be honest..I kinda do anyway....thoughts anyone? This is not about falling off the wagon so to speak, I just feel so rubbish and am so hungry and nothing on the LCHF doesn't make my stomach just leap...what the hell do I do at this time???? x
Why do you think you are not doing it right yet when you have achieved so much . With levels between 5 and under 7 you are really doing well and just what people want their levels to be so you don't need to be doing more than you are already. Perhaps your craving is because you are pushing yourself to hard have a little treat sometimes

MissMac

Why do you think you are not doing it right yet when you have achieved so much . With levels between 5 and under 7 you are really doing well and just what people want their levels to be so you don't need to be doing more than you are already. Perhaps your craving is because you are pushing yourself to hard have a little treat sometimes
Thanks guys, the nuts did me well. Once the next blood test is done I am gonna try other things and see what happens! xx

Reactions: Freema

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Interesting thread. I stoved in the other day and once you have one shed load of carbs (Cheese scone) I felt I may as well go the whole hog that day. The whole deck came tumbling down.

Well done @MissMac for resisting temptation and showing it can be done.

MissMac

Interesting thread. I stoved in the other day and once you have one shed load of carbs (Cheese scone) I felt I may as well go the whole hog that day. The whole deck came tumbling down.

Well done @MissMac for resisting temptation and showing it can be done.
Thank you...I am nothing if not determined...read that as stubborn!!! x

kevin hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What have you done. I can't get pie chips and gravy out of my head, its running around inside my head saying "go on you know you want to" am resisting at the moment but O.H not helping saying if you go fetch me back a chip butty.

MissMac

What have you done. I can't get pie chips and gravy out of my head, its running around inside my head saying "go on you know you want to" am resisting at the moment but O.H not helping saying if you go fetch me back a chip butty.
Sorry for being blonde but what do you mean "what have you done" ? x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sounds really daft but it could be the paint/gloss smell making you feel rough and hungry as I know it does me and my dad too - he was a builder/painter/decorator!
When dad felt "****" he would have some marmite (he's not actually diabetic, but at times might as well be), and my sister who is diabetic and on a pump too actually does LCHF diet and she's regularly topping up on a teaspoon of peanut butter!
Hope you find the solution! All the best

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh I also think our bodies are plain mean! When I used to decide not to eat chocolate or try and buy any my sugar kept crashing... Almost a "you know you need me" evil chocolate speak!!

kevin hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It wasn't meant that way, I read your post about a shed load of chips with lashings of salt and vinegar and then can't get it out of my head, chips pie adn gravy is running through my thoughts with hobnail boots on.
So much so I have chained myself to the setee and tied my feet together to stop myself running down to the chippy for double portions.
Cravings are so hard to deal withbut then we are all in this together, well I hope we are and I am trying ( badly, I suppose) to empathise with you in your cravings.
OHalf says my sense of humour is ****
Sorry if I have offended you I didn't intend to

pablo46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
SO as we know I am doing the LCHF and doing alright, sugars can be a bit high but still always under 7 and more often than not in the 5's which is OK with me as I know I am still not doing this right! ANYWAY! I digress. I have not had cravings since I started this...surprised really as I was literally a carb or nothing girl, biscuits, cake, chocolate.
Today I've really not been feeling great...whether it's all the gloss work the man's done, the white spirit smell or what..but on and off ALL day I've just felt sick sick sick. We had dinner planned for tonight but I cannot stomach the thought...then it came to me ALL I want is chip shop chips with loads of salt and vinegar...I am REALLY struggling not to just go sod it and have a small portion...I know I will spike....I just won't test..I know I will feel like hell but to be honest..I kinda do anyway....thoughts anyone? This is not about falling off the wagon so to speak, I just feel so rubbish and am so hungry and nothing on the LCHF doesn't make my stomach just leap...what the hell do I do at this time???? x
What the hell.
Have a few chips (8-10) add vinegar bu no salt
Enjoy.
The secret is the quantity - Keep it small

MDHalstead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well you look so fit ... maybe you are burning much more glucose daily than those imobilised from arthritis and other illbnesses ..so guess YOU can eat more sugars and starchs than most of us can

Yes. But a few chips every now and again. Won't kill you.

Reactions: Freema

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if this will help, but here goes...
First, you can try fixing carrots (or some other veg) with S+V to see how it works. I'm not an S+V lover myself, but I have become an avid fan of veg. Sometimes, I just want something with butter and salt and carrots seem to work well (or mushrooms).
Second, try limiting how many chips you have. You don't have to eat every single one in the serving; try eating a few to get the craving to end.
Third, sometimes you just have to give it up to the chips. When you have a craving, sometimes it's better to eat the thing you want rather than eat everything else you CAN have only to end up eating your crave! I found this out long ago. It means more watching, testing, and shots, but sometimes you have to allow yourself to live a little. But a word of caution: If the craving is everyday, it's going to lead to problems. My craving w̶a̶s̶ is popcorn (and lots of it). After years of struggling with the craving, I now allow myself to have it when I go to the movies (once a week). Knowing I'll have it reduced my craving a lot.