Help needed again today my blood sugar 2.8! I got scared

gowest12

Ok I haven’t been testing since I found out my hba1c was 35 4 weeks ago and before that it was 42 so I was prediabetic before but today I was feeling strange light headed and I checked my blood sugar and it was 2.8 and I panicked i didn’t have anything sweet around except some Nutella so I ate a few spoons of that! I didn’t think prediabetics or now that I’m in normal numbers that this would happen???? It’s never happened to me before that I’m aware of and the first thing is I was scared of going into a coma I was really frightened and surprised. Does anyone know why this would happen? I’m not on medication apart from my blood pressure medications and Prozac for my depression but I’ve been on these for a year and it never happened before. I am also low carb very low carb but eat the odd meal of lentils and beans for dinner. Does anyone know why this would happen? I’m scared now it will happen again?? Could it be i went too long without food?? I ate lunch at 12 and it happened at 5pm. Did I do the right thing? Or should I have just waited how low should it go before we treat it?? Thank you all you are all so kind to me and helpful!!

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and filly

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What blood pressure medications are you on, i recently started Rampiril and that says in the bumph that it has an affect on lowering blood sugars, not dramatically but if you are hungry and need to eat ie low blood sugars just like normal people, it could be the difference.

Reactions: gowest12

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes does not cause low blood sugar. It is a condition of high blood sugars.

Diabetes medications can cause lows. As can other medications or some less common conditions. People can often go into the 3’s briefly especially when hungry of after exercise. Unless you have something that prevents the natural reaction (medication for example) to this the liver will dump glucose into the blood and bring it back up. Is this a one off or something that happens often?

• Agree
Reactions: Fenn and EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I haven’t been testing since I found out my hba1c was 35 4 weeks ago and before that it was 42 so I was prediabetic before but today I was feeling strange light headed and I checked my blood sugar and it was 2.8 and I panicked i didn’t have anything sweet around except some Nutella so I ate a few spoons of that! I didn’t think prediabetics or now that I’m in normal numbers that this would happen???? It’s never happened to me before that I’m aware of and the first thing is I was scared of going into a coma I was really frightened and surprised. Does anyone know why this would happen? I’m not on medication apart from my blood pressure medications and Prozac for my depression but I’ve been on these for a year and it never happened before. I am also low carb very low carb but eat the odd meal of lentils and beans for dinner. Does anyone know why this would happen? I’m scared now it will happen again?? Could it be i went too long without food?? I ate lunch at 12 and it happened at 5pm. Did I do the right thing? Or should I have just waited how low should it go before we treat it?? Thank you all you are all so kind to me and helpful!!
Hi,

What are you generally eating during any given day?

• Agree
Reactions: HSSS

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you get a reading that low, retest and confirm the reading it could be a rogue reading for many reasons.
If the reading is confirmed, any good or drink to hand will do. As the hypo is not good.
And if confirmed, tell your GP that you are getting low readings, your GP should understand your medical history, your meds, your test results and go from there.
T2s should not go that low, only if your meds or something else, another condition, pushed it that low, and there must be a reason for it.
Hopefully it was a single event.
Keep safe

gowest12

Hi,

What are you generally eating during any given day?
In the mornings always eggs avocado and perhaps some bacon on a slice of low carb bread which is 3.5g of carbs. Lunch is usually a salad of tuna or chicken with lots of salad and cucumbers tomatoes. In the evening is either meat, fish with some green veg and a side do lentils or beans and then Greek yoghurt with nuts and berries. I don’t have any snacks at all as I’m scared to raise my sugar levels. My last A1C was 35 and the one before 42 so I jsut feel maybe I’m now diabetic to have had this low reading. 42 is prediabetic isn’t it?

gowest12

If you get a reading that low, retest and confirm the reading it could be a rogue reading for many reasons.
If the reading is confirmed, any good or drink to hand will do. As the hypo is not good.
And if confirmed, tell your GP that you are getting low readings, your GP should understand your medical history, your meds, your test results and go from there.
T2s should not go that low, only if your meds or something else, another condition, pushed it that low, and there must be a reason for it.
Hopefully it was a single event.
Keep safe
So I’m concerned now as I got myself out of the prediabetic 42 with hba1c of 35 4 weeks ago and now I’m concerned that I went so low could I actually be fully diabetic???? I’m abit scared if you say there are other conditions that can make you go low. I really hate all this

gowest12

What blood pressure medications are you on, i recently started Rampiril and that says in the bumph that it has an affect on lowering blood sugars, not dramatically but if you are hungry and need to eat ie low blood sugars just like normal people, it could be the difference.
Im on 7.5mg ramipril

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on 2.5mg Rampiril and i found it dropped my blood sugars by about 1 mmol.

gowest12

Diabetes does not cause low blood sugar. It is a condition of high blood sugars.

Diabetes medications can cause lows. As can other medications or some less common conditions. People can often go into the 3’s briefly especially when hungry of after exercise. Unless you have something that prevents the natural reaction (medication for example) to this the liver will dump glucose into the blood and bring it back up. Is this a one off or something that happens often?
Ok I’m not on any diabetes medications is it dangerous if it’s in the 3’s like 3.8 or 3.9??? I’m really scared now. I don’t snack as it is and I’m often feeling hungry because I’m scared to have a snack in case it makes my numbers go too high. I’ve been concerned about my numbers ever since my hba1c came back at 35 as I was getting readings a lot of 6.5 or 6.7 but recently they were in the 4’s and then yesterday this happened. I’m very low carb my only medication is ramipril.

gowest12

Ok I’m not on any diabetes medications is it dangerous if it’s in the 3’s like 3.8 or 3.9??? I’m really scared now. I don’t snack as it is and I’m often feeling hungry because I’m scared to have a snack in case it makes my numbers go too high. I’ve been concerned about my numbers ever since my hba1c came back at 35 as I was getting readings a lot of 6.5 or 6.7 but recently they were in the 4’s and then yesterday this happened. I’m very low carb my only medication is ramipril.
This has only happened once but scared it will happen again now.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So I’m concerned now as I got myself out of the prediabetic 42 with hba1c of 35 4 weeks ago and now I’m concerned that I went so low could I actually be fully diabetic???? I’m abit scared if you say there are other conditions that can make you go low. I really hate all this
I get the anxiety, but if it's a one off, it could be a rogue reading. And not much to worry about.
Only, and I mean only if you get repeated episodes of low blood glucose levels, then it could be something else.
And I repeat, if it is the meds, you need to speak to your GP about your meds and lowering the dosage.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i’ll say it again. Diabetes does not cause lows. Hunger can though! Being low carb isn’t and shouldn’t be about being hungry. You need to add in more fats and proteins to your meals to avoid this and they won’t raise blood glucose. If you need a snack just choose something low carb and bloods will be ok.

It’s perfectly normal and common to be in the 3’s especially for non type 2 people. It is not dangerous in itself. The reason there is a limit of 4 set is for people on medication that might prevent the liver bringing it back up or cause rapid lowering into levels that can be dangerous which are lower than this. The level of 4 allows them time to treat it before it becomes dangerous.

If it happens often you do need to establish why (hunger being an obvious cause here). As a one off I’d say it was just one of those things. Or a random meter error which they all are allowed as they are not precise machines.

Your anxiety is causing disordered eating now (deliberate hunger, scared of eating). You really need to see your dr about this health anxiety. It’s a real issue. Please go see your dr.