Help on Holiday!

D

Deleted member 391597

Hello,

I am currently on my first holiday abroad since diagnosis and have been very surprised by my blood sugar readings. I understand that the heat makes you more sensitive to insulin but I have spent most of my day on the verge of a hypo or actually having a hypo! I have had to check my sugars 10+ times today which is a lot for me (even interrupted me reading 'think like a pancreas'!) I cut down my bolus insulin by 2 units for my meal tonight and still ended up at 4.3mmol just 90 minutes after eating. So before bed I've had to eat AGAIN...I am frightened that I am going to turn in to a whale with all this extra food!

So has this happened to anyone else? Is this pretty normal when in a hot climate? I expected to get slightly lower readings but I am about 4-5mmols less post meal here than at home and before meals pretty close to a hypo which never happens at home.
Don't want another day of hypos that's for sure!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Hollie04

As dancer says reduce your basal too to see if this reduces the hypo's, when holidaying in hot countries I've always had to reduce my basal by a few units to keep my bg steady. Good luck and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Hollieo4 , the heat is a big part of it, I generally knock my insulin back a bit when it's hot, but also remember that exercise is part of the triad of food/insulin/exercise you need to think about. Never underestimate the effect which exercise has on the amount of insulin you take.

When I say exercise, that's not just going to the gym or for a run. You're on holiday, so you're maybe walking around town doing a bit of sightseeing, going for a swim off the beach or hitting the nightclubs doing a bit of dancing. Those all count as exercise and all will reduce the amount of insulin you need, as well as the reduction you might need for the hotter weather.

Plus you're maybe drinking a bit more - what holiday would be complete without it - and the alcohol will throw things out a bit.

And, if I recall correctly, you're recently dx'd so you'll likely have honeymoon adding it's bit of uncertainty as well!

When I'm on holiday, I'll spend hours wandering around whatever beautiful city I'm in, taking in the sights. You'd never usually think of a slow daunder as exercise, but it is, and as it's more than I'd do at home, I'm then thinking, ok, been trotting around this place for a few hours, so I'm going to rake a few units of this next meal, even though I've had a couple of bolus-less ice creams along the way.

Obviously can't advise on dose, but, generally, don't be shy about ramping back your dose heavily if you've been walking/swimming/dancing more than you'd be doing at home. Remember that there can be an after-drop quite a while after exercise, so if you're sitting looking at an evening meal and wondering what to bolus for it, remember that you may well need to shave off even more than the 2u you mentioned to get the dose right. Don't just look at it as this size meal, so this size bolus: look also at what you've done in the last 6 or 10 hours and adjust for that also.

It's all trial and experiment, this stuff, but hats off to you, kiddo, you've gone abroad after a recent dx, figured out how different states need different responses, asked for advice: that's the key to living with T1 - it's a moving target, so move with it!

Anyway, look on the bright side.Going hypo all the time: fill yourself with ice cream till the crisis is over!

D

Deleted member 391597

Thank you all so much for your replies! I take 8 units basal a day so wouldn't know how much to decrease it by to be honest...especially as I'm still waiting to see an endo! Ironically today my sugars have been at the upper end of normal...so ok I suppose...can't really win! On a plus I finished reading 'think like a pancreas' - great book! Thanks for the recommendation @azure

D

Deleted member 391597

P.S. Does anyone else think they would make a great diabetic if they lived in a hotter country? Haha!

Reactions: HLC2017

Lily_Ayt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I'm T1 diabetic since 5 years and for the first time I travelled in Africa whitout any stress about keeping my insulin cool. Is anyone familiar with Frio? It's a wallet that you soak 15 minutes in water and it keeps your insulin cool during minimum 45 hours. No more need of fridge during the flight or at destination, just water.

Does anyone of you have some tricks to travel as a diabetic?

Thanks
Lily

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Lily_Ayt Many people use the Frip wallet here.

Do you have any particular concerns about travel? Are you planning a holiday?

There are plenty of friendly Type 1s who can offer advice. What insulins do you take?