Help please - new and questions

abbymeg

Hi all

Type 2 diabetic, diagnosed about a month ago. Hbac1 56.

I am very overweight, have about 5st to lose, largely vegetarian with some fish. I am also hypothyroid, have fatty liver, cholesterol higher than it should be. Too much stress for too long and comfort eating carbs. I have fibromyalgia too.

Anyway, I've been following Second Nature which limits carbs, getting an average of 8000 steps each day from sedentary (have to take it slow due to fibro) and doing a DDPY workout every other day to get my heart up and build strength.

Anyway, no weight lost at all and this is getting me down. I would have expected to see something on the scale.

My fasted bloods this morning were 6.6, down from over 9 a couple of weeks ago, so going in the right direction but still no weight lost even though I'm the heaviest I've ever been.

I am also really thirsty, so I did wonder if I am in ketosis even though I think my carbs have been a bit high.

Anyway, decided to track my calories and macros. Have set cals to 1600 a day. I wondered what ratios of fat and protein people use as a rough idea when eating under 100g carb? I don't even know if I need to do this.

I'm aiming for 50-100g carb due to food choices and because I did keto years ago for about 3 months and I felt rough. I don't know whether this would have been because of my hypothyroidism.

I also wanted to try IF but was told it is bad for the thyroid.

I feel like such a wreck and I really don't know what I need to do to stabilise my bloods, get my weight down and keep my thyroid functioning as well as I can.

I would appreciate any help!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @abbymeg
Don't get disheartened, its worth sticking with to get so much better overall.
Initially forget all about calories and weight loss.
If you concentrate on lowering your bg by lowering carbs, the weight loss will follow. You have a meter so eat to it.
In other words test before each meal then at 2 hours after. Any rise between the 2 of 2 or more shows that you have eaten something that is too carby for you.
Eat low carbs foods ( fish, eggs, cheese, dairy and above ground veg) until you are full, then stop and don't snack .
Eat a filling meal again when hungry, and repeat.
You'll soon find the intervals between meals lengthen and you start missing one or 2 of usual meal times.
If you then start to measure your carbs you may well find they are less than 50g. Lots of us manage best in around 20g a day.
If you measure from the beginning you might find that you feel deprived, even when you are not. I built in a daily treat of a square or 2 of very dark chocolate and that has become more than enough.
Be prepared for your body to throw a toddler tantrum or 2 as its usual bad treats are withheld, but you as the adult know that it would be dangerous to let a toddler have an item that may harm it. The tantrums pass.

Reactions: abbymeg

abbymeg

Welcome @abbymeg
Don't get disheartened, its worth sticking with to get so much better overall.
Initially forget all about calories and weight loss.
If you concentrate on lowering your bg by lowering carbs, the weight loss will follow. You have a meter so eat to it.
In other words test before each meal then at 2 hours after. Any rise between the 2 of 2 or more shows that you have eaten something that is too carby for you.
Eat low carbs foods ( fish, eggs, cheese, dairy and above ground veg) until you are full, then stop and don't snack .
Eat a filling meal again when hungry, and repeat.
You'll soon find the intervals between meals lengthen and you start missing one or 2 of usual meal times.
If you then start to measure your carbs you may well find they are less than 50g. Lots of us manage best in around 20g a day.
If you measure from the beginning you might find that you feel deprived, even when you are not. I built in a daily treat of a square or 2 of very dark chocolate and that has become more than enough.
Be prepared for your body to throw a toddler tantrum or 2 as its usual bad treats are withheld, but you as the adult know that it would be dangerous to let a toddler have an item that may harm it. The tantrums pass.

Thanks so much - great advice to try