Help please

navigator

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on here on behalf of my brother who is type 2 and has mental capacity issues
He has been with type 2 for around 7 years and his health support system has been of poor quality. 5 Years ago he had a toe amputated and there is a recent major issue being dealt with for his other foot. He has a BMI of 36/ 37 and gets little exercise
And recently he is suffering increasing kidney problems.
BUT I am confused about insulin dosing levels and how the medics decide his regime when the usual frequency of seeing the diabetic nurse is yearly
3 years ago he was told to inject 3 times a day at 20 on waking, 24, midday 36 at night. He has kept note books of is blood sugars and hopefully took these with him. He has never been on a managed diet. The nurse gave him the leaflets but he cannot absorbed their text and filed them or binned them
2 years ago he was told to inject at 24 on waking and 36 before evening dinner. I have found some bs results but the daily routine was poor. Mostly 3 times, but no relationship to eating times. So results of anywhere between 7 and 10 mmol.
In September this year following an infected foot problem and hospitalisation he was told to inject at 20 and 26. BS test results only taken before eating of 5.6 to 7.8
We then met the diabetic nurse [and others] saying his bs results are stable and sensible, between 5.8 and 8 max. The nurse now want to assess his future BS results. She advised to changed insulin injections to 18 and 24. I asked about bs tests and eating times. She advised that only take BS test before eating, as taking them after and before eating gets to complicated for the patient
Following a further worsening of the kidneys he was very annemic and needed a blood transfusion of packed blood cells.
On discharge from these events the injection dose was changed to 6 in the morning and 8 at 6pm. In the last few days his BS results have been more erratic from 7.8 on waking to 15.9 midday with out eating
So How can the insulin injection level now be at the lowest point in 7 years?

I have got him onto better dietary control, but he still over weight. Since the blood freshen up, he can exercise and walk better than he has done for months