Help re milk please

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I stretch cups of tea by topping up after each sip with hot water from a vacuum flask. It does eventually get too diluted and then I stop topping up, but it makes one cup of tea (with one cup of tea's worth of milk) last a lot longer than it would otherwise.

Reactions: Gillianc23

Surfergirl55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Trying to follow the 800 cal BS diet, but I cannot live without milk in my tea. Ordinary proper real milk, not almond or oat or any of that. How much milk can I allow per day without starving myself? Is half a pint ok and how many cals is that? TY!
Had same problem, til friend gave me decaf tea to try. Don’t need any milk with that! I was totally amazed. Hope this helps.

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71

Len Amey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stretch cups of tea by topping up after each sip with hot water from a vacuum flask. It does eventually get too diluted and then I stop topping up, but it makes one cup of tea (with one cup of tea's worth of milk) last a lot longer than it would otherwise.
If it’s not strong enough to stand a spoon upright in then it ain’t tea

Reactions: Struma

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Yorkshire friend used to say "strong enough to trot a mouse on the top".

I like mine much weaker - there may have been a reference to gnats.

Gillianc23

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Trying to follow the 800 cal BS diet, but I cannot live without milk in my tea. Ordinary proper real milk, not almond or oat or any of that. How much milk can I allow per day without starving myself? Is half a pint ok and how many cals is that? TY!

Have you thought about buying Bob milk? It’s skimmed but tastes like semi.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you thought about buying Bob milk? It’s skimmed but tastes like semi.
Skimmed doesn’t help, if anything it’s worse because it fills you up less and has slightly more carbs.

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
I'm experimenting at the moment with the Arla lactose free milk, since although they turn the lactose into glucose (making it worse) they remove a lot of the sugar so the net sugar content is half (which isn't the case on other lactose free brands).

Plan next week is to drink 200 ml of hot milk, full fat conventional milk vs full fat Arla lactose free, track and compare using Libre.

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, two tests so far on the 200 ml of Arla lactose free milk, and.... I didn't see any spike at all either time.
I'm unclear whether that suggests its better for other diabetics, or if I'm an outlier on milk response.

Lord_Claus_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I've recently become lactose intolerant, I thought it would be a real nuisance, but no, most places do a version of lactofree milk.

It's really nice, use as standard milk, no lactose obviously, so doesn't affect your blood glucose reading, and fewer calories. Sorry don't know the amount as I don't calorie count. Arla make the brand Lactofree milk and in Asda in their free from chilled section they do a 1 & 2 (not far short of 4 pint bottle) litre carton of lactofree milk.

I suggest you avoid Oat milk as that tastes like a very runny unsweetened porridge. Hope this info helps you. Lactofree milk is regular dairy milk but lactose free & has Lactase Enzyme in it, which your body uses to allow you to tolerate lactose. Arla lactofree milk is available in full fat and semi skimmed varieties.

Good Luck

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends how much milk you're using. Arlo lactofree milk has 2.6g of carbs per 100ml, compared to 4.7g of carbs for normal semi-skimmed milk.

Reactions: MissMuffett

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started drinking black tea about 20 years ago as the last cuppa I had before going to bed started to give me indigestion and made me feel sick. The tea was very weak at first but has got stronger over the years. I hardly drink tea now since my son introduced me to the art of making freshly ground coffee :cool:

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started drinking black tea many years ago, as none of the people I worked with was capable of putting milk back in the 'fridge.

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. I've recently become lactose intolerant, I thought it would be a real nuisance, but no, most places do a version of lactofree milk.

It's really nice, use as standard milk, no lactose obviously, so doesn't affect your blood glucose reading, and fewer calories. Sorry don't know the amount as I don't calorie count. Arla make the brand Lactofree milk and in Asda in their free from chilled section they do a 1 & 2 (not far short of 4 pint bottle) litre carton of lactofree milk.

I suggest you avoid Oat milk as that tastes like a very runny unsweetened porridge. Hope this info helps you. Lactofree milk is regular dairy milk but lactose free & has Lactase Enzyme in it, which your body uses to allow you to tolerate lactose. Arla lactofree milk is available in full fat and semi skimmed varieties.

Good Luck

I did a post on this a few weeks ago, the Arla brand has less sugar than normal milk, but this doesn't apply to most lactose free milks - they have the same sugar and in a worse form as normal milk.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is, it's hard enough to cope with a change in diet without doing away with the one or two things you desperately need and in my early 70s, it woukld be impossible to revamp my taste buds! I think I'll have to factor in a milk allowance - can drink less tea but still real rea.
Thanks for all help!
I was just over 70 when I was diagnosed with T2, and my taste buds have positively rejoiced at some of the changes I needed to make (others definitely :yuck:YUK :yuck: though!!), so maybe give it a try in small steps and see hpw you do?

Reactions: Outlier

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
The thing is, it's hard enough to cope with a change in diet without doing away with the one or two things you desperately need and in my early 70s, it woukld be impossible to revamp my taste buds! I think I'll have to factor in a milk allowance - can drink less tea but still real rea.
Thanks for all help!

You may surprise yourself if you try. I was late 60's when diagnosed and soon learnt to like 90% dark chocolate.
It's very low cal, yes, but it's not intended to be a long-term thing, from what I understand. Off the top of my head 6 to 8 weeks or something. Beyond that it would indeed lead to malnourishment, but as a crash diet, it works. After that you have to find something that's sustainable in the long run though.
The maximum time period is 12 weeks, but there are lots of different 800 calorie diets - Dr Michael Mosely had 2 of them, one of those was also Low Carb.

• Useful
Reactions: JoKalsbeek