Help re milk please

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to follow the 800 cal BS diet, but I cannot live without milk in my tea. Ordinary proper real milk, not almond or oat or any of that. How much milk can I allow per day without starving myself? Is half a pint ok and how many cals is that? TY!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Half a pint of semi skimmed milk is 130 cals, that’s quite a chunk of your 800 cal allowance.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd find it too hard to change now, at my age Mrs A2. But yes Rachox that's a wee bit too much... this is not going to be easy is it!!

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
I find I don't use much milk in some black teas compared to what I'd instinctively add to others, maybe you might feel the same?
If you were going low carb then cream would be a good substitute but obviously not in this case.

Reactions: fumanchu

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to follow the 800 cal BS diet, but I cannot live without milk in my tea. Ordinary proper real milk, not almond or oat or any of that. How much milk can I allow per day without starving myself? Is half a pint ok and how many cals is that? TY!
Could you try a less usual tea, maybe berry flavour, or mint, liquorice - or use al little lemon juice?
I used to enjoy ordinary tea, but covid altered my taste and I have never been able to go back to drinking it.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I can take liquorice tea, that's an idea. And covid has a lot to answer for..

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can take liquorice tea, that's an idea. And covid has a lot to answer for..
I've just discovered a dandelion, fennel, ginger and liquorice tea from Waitrose it's just got a lovely hint of liquorice in it. I'm not a herbal tea lover normally I prefer very very weak normal tea - but ditched milk years ago. Waitrose own brand teas, including peppermint that I love, are 1.15 per pack so not too bad although they were a pound a pack until recently!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you like peppermint tea, I recommend growing it.
It is very easy to grow so keep it in a pot and have fresh peppermint leaves throughout the summer.
You can also make your own mint sauce or add it to salads. It goes lovely with feta and/or beetroot.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do grow loads of mint yes, will try different teas and see how I get on. Thanks everybody!

Have you tried actually measuring how much milk you actually use in tea throughout a day? If you have, say, 3 cups with a splash in each, you may not be using much at all, especially with some of the other suggestions on here for alternatives.

Just a thought.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a lot of milk in tea, and I drink a lot of tea. Have to change that habit :(

Reactions: Gillianc23

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I've just discovered a dandelion, fennel, ginger and liquorice tea from Waitrose it's just got a lovely hint of liquorice in it. I'm not a herbal tea lover normally I prefer very very weak normal tea - but ditched milk years ago. Waitrose own brand teas, including peppermint that I love, are 1.15 per pack so not too bad although they were a pound a pack until recently!
I have a cupboard full of herbal teas couldn't live with out them, especially fennel crushed in a pestle and mortal bunged into a sieve then add to hot water with a dash of lemon - yum.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is, it's hard enough to cope with a change in diet without doing away with the one or two things you desperately need and in my early 70s, it woukld be impossible to revamp my taste buds! I think I'll have to factor in a milk allowance - can drink less tea but still real rea.
Thanks for all help!

Margi1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m not a medical person, nor have I heard of the diet you talk about, but 800cals caught my eye and my brain said ‘that sounds dangerous’. A normally healthy, reasonably active person needs around 2000kcals a day (depending on size, weight and loads of other things), so that makes 800 look very little. I’d love to know more about it to find out if I’m jumping to erroneous assumptions or not... (trots off to see what Mr Google knows via Diabetes UK).

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Margi it's well documented, proven medically to sometimes reverse type 2 diabetes. Google it yes.

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not a medical person, nor have I heard of the diet you talk about, but 800cals caught my eye and my brain said ‘that sounds dangerous’. A normally healthy, reasonably active person needs around 2000kcals a day (depending on size, weight and loads of other things), so that makes 800 look very little. I’d love to know more about it to find out if I’m jumping to erroneous assumptions or not... (trots off to see what Mr Google knows via Diabetes UK).
It's very low cal, yes, but it's not intended to be a long-term thing, from what I understand. Off the top of my head 6 to 8 weeks or something. Beyond that it would indeed lead to malnourishment, but as a crash diet, it works. After that you have to find something that's sustainable in the long run though.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a lot of milk in tea, and I drink a lot of tea. Have to change that habit :(
Maybe switch? Cream in tea, (needs less, still flavorful and fewer carbs), tea without, coffee... I take other stuff too, diluted tomato juice with a sprinkle of salt which seems a bit like soup, broth, make my own tea with lemonbalm and lavender, water with some lemon in, warm or cold, use some tisane I get from amazon.de, watered down coconut milk with cocoa etc.... I have to drink more than I normally would, (kidney stones....) so I just vary a lot with what I take in. Otherwise it'd be all tea, all the time. But my kidneys don't like Earl Grey and chais anymore, alas. All in all though.... You don't have to dump all tea-with-milk. Just have one or two? And fill the rest of the day up with other things?

Len Amey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We use fully skimmed long life milk from Aldi or Lidl (100Kcal per 1/2 pint), being long life it's creamier than fresh fully skimmed milk making it very similar to fresh semi-skimmed milk in taste and consistency.