HELP Sick Day Temp Basal

Captain_bligh

Short version: I’m currently running my
Insulin pump at 140% basal as I’m feeling poorly, and they’re just about staying stable. My concern is normal sick day rules suggest an increase of around 10%, what experiences do others have?

Long version: In May this year, I was diagnosed with Lymphoma and part of my symptoms included needing to run a temp Bolus at 140%, occasionally higher. I underwent chemotherapy and immunotherapy, and my bloods came back to normal. I finished my therapies around 5 weeks ago, and in the previous week, I’ve began feeling poorly. My results scan a few weeks back showed I still have some cancerous activity but not enough for my doctors to be concerned about. I’m now worried that I’m mildly poorly, and my body is needing 140% basal again. Is such a high basal typical for others having normal sick days, or should I be calling my
Hospital to get looked over? My haematologist has given me antibiotics as he thinks I may have an infection, and I’m due back this Friday.

Thanks in advance

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If the temp basal is keeping your sugars in range then it is right for you right now. Tagging @Juicyj and @porl69 as they pump - I’m on MDI.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Captain_bligh

Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell.

I cannot comment on your temp basal ratio except if it’s working for you then it’s the right level to be at, illness affects us all differently and your team should help you manage this. Sick day rules are just a guide. I think in some respects we know more about our own bodies as our glucose levels can indicate when we are unwell so hopefully when the antibiotics take hold it should help you manage this better, best wishes J

Reactions: Diakat

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks for the tag @Diakat
Hi @Captain_bligh sorry to hear about your woes :(
Everyone of us is different when it comes to sick day rules, as @Juicyj has mentioned the sick day rules are a guide only. If 140% is working for you then stick to that. For me when I am sick I run at 150% temp basal and my correction doses are a lot higher also! I would be trying to get hold of my DSN and having a word to see what they suggest. Fingers crossed the anti biotics will help

Reactions: Diakat

Captain_bligh

Thank you everyone that has replied. I think I’m overthinking it, and the 140% basal is working for me quite well.

Will stick to it and hope for the best. :)

Reactions: Chas C