help...starting to worry

jorainer90

hi all,

new on here so hello!

just wanted to ask a question and have a bit of a vent really!
I have had a lot of symptoms of diabetes recently, extreme thirst ,going to the toilet a lot, weight loss, extreme tiredness, itchy skin etc. so i went to the drs who promptly sent me to the hospital for a blood test. He said it could be iron defficiancy but then started talking lots about diabetes type1. He also asked to make an appt for a week after so he could go through my results with me.

I've not had a phone call saying anything is wrong with my blood test so am i to presume everything is ok?and why would he make an appt for the week after (blood tests take a week here so not sure if its just that they take that long)surely i wouldnt need another appt unless something was wrong?and to be honest i will be really upset if it comes back clear because I am really not right. although i will be devastated if i do have diabetes, at least it would be managable and hopefully in the long run i would feel better than i do now!

any way...ill stop rambling on...any help much appreciated!thank you x

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
I don't know about anyone else but i took a test on a friday and my DR called me on saturday to be at the surgary 8.30 monday morning and said don't drink sugary drinks.
However everyones different .If it does turn you are diabetic try not to worry (sounds easy!) Theres a multitude of experianced people on here and any ?'s you have will be answered of someone. A warm welcome :D JF.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
It sounds to me as if your doctor is okay. He's probably asked you to make an appointment so that he can discuss your test results with you - I hope so anyway!

If it is diabetes, then you've been diagnosed and your treatment will begin. If it isn't, he'll have to consider other options, so he still needs to see you again.

Make sure he tells you what tests have been done, and what the results mean. Take your time and ask any questions you can think of - there's a list on here somewhere, if I find it I'll come back and tell you where it is.

Also, if he's asked for an HbA1c to see how your blood glucose levels have been averaging over the last 3 months, that test does take a little longer for the results to come back. It does here, anyway.

Diabetes is a d**n nuisance but it's not the end of the world, even though I should think every single one of us thought it was on diagnosis! You'll feel better when you know what's wrong. Diabetes can be controlled, and you've come to the right place for really good help and support.

Let us know how you go on. Best of luck!

Viv :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
By the way, Jorainer - just looked at your profile. Are you on insulin for some other reason, if you've not yet been diagnosed as diabetic?

Viv

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi
Welcome to the forum.

Reading your post it is understandable that you are concerned. The problem is that until you know what the results are and you see your GP to talk through them you will worry and make things worse.

This is the time you have to be patient, nobody here can tell you what your diagnosis could be.

If you are that concerned then phone and see if you can get an earlier appointment to allay your fears.
NEVER assume anything......... :)

jorainer90

thanks for your replys

@viv no i was just flicking through the registration...will change that now i have time..thanks for the reminder!

I will let everyone know, my appt is wednesday

so scared!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
viviennem said:
Make sure he tells you what tests have been done, and what the results mean. Take your time and ask any questions you can think of - there's a list on here somewhere, if I find it I'll come back and tell you where it is.
Viv :)

Hi Jo and welcome to the forum :) Good luck with your next doctor's appointment. This is the list of suggested questions that Viv mentioned:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17091

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your doctor suspects type 1 diabetes I'm surprised he didn't do a finger prick test to determine your blood sugar level at the time (instant result). And if the result was high he should have done a ketone test too.

jorainer90

Hi again,

Just had a phone call from the drs. My fasting glucose was 8.7 so he's called me in today to go through everything and put in a referral at the diabetes unit at the hospital.I am genuinely gutted.I rang my fiancé and he is coming home from work.

So...I guess I'll be around here a bit more now with all my questions.

Thankyou for the set of questions!I'll deffo be asking them plus about a million more of my own!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Feeling 'gutted' is perfectly normal - so is having a good cry, so don't be afraid to do it!

On the bright side - whichever type of diabetes you have, it has been picked up. You can be treated, and take control of it. I have a Type 1 friend who is in her 90s, perfectly healthy and really enjoys life, so it is not a death sentence, nor will it stop you living 'normally'. Celia has a better social life than I do, and she's 30 years older than me!

It's undiagnosed diabetes that does the damage. You're now in a position to take control - and everyone on here will help and support you to the best of our ability. We're all in this together!

Viv :D

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Can only echo what Viv has said . I remember when I got my diagnosis , I cried like a baby and I was 61 at the time, so its normal to feel gutted, depressed , weepy , confused etc . You will find solace here, we`ve all been through it, whichever type it is, good luck at the hospital x

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi again Jo - sorry about the diagnosis. That was around the figure that I was diagnosed at too. Could have been worse. I was in denial for a long time. Now is the time to start getting good control of your figures to help avoid any complications. To help you this is a basic information document written by the forum monitors with recommendations on diet etc. I am sure you will find it useful. Keep reading on this forum too and ask as many questions as you like. Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
My fasting blood glucose was 9 at diagnosis, last April. I'd dropped it to 6.7 by low-carbing in 3 months, and it was 6 in December - so it can be done.

I'm STILL in denial :shock: :lol:

Viv :D