Help with aviva combo meter please

Luckystar96

I have just started using the combo meter with the spirit pump. ( I have been using the pump for a while but the combo meter is new)
My question is, I generally do a BG test just before I eat, then bolus when I've finished (so I know exactly what carbs I've had). The meter doesn't seem to save the test long enough to use it in the bolus advice?
Maybe I'm supposed to test once I've eaten, but I would've thought the sugars would already have risen somewhat by then?
Just wondered what other people do?
Thanks.

victorhill

hi hope you are getting on ok with pump had one for 6 years and does help lower hbca1
now
when i eat before a meal ei breakfast.. lunch ...tea.. snacks

1 do blood test the result comes up with result say 7.8
2 i have worked out how much carbs i am going to say 30 grams carbs put that in to the meter s.a.p after blood sugar result this will work out how much bolus to give press confirm then deliver the mater should connect to the pump
and deliver insulin you will hear it ticking

then press off button till next meter reading

does this help or am i on the wrong track
hope not vic

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why not count the carbs before you eat, then if needed use the standard, multiwave or extended bolus function to deliver your insulin.

iHs

I tend not to bother with the waves as I usually get the balance wrong and end up with a high bg level so I tend to just keep with the standard bolus instead.

Regarding your question...........
What I have done and still do sometimes is do the bg test, allow the pump to deliver a correction if above my target and then go back to bolus advice again, enter the amount of carb that I want to eat so that the pump calculates the insulin, and then scribble down somewhere what the bolus amount was but dont deliver the bolus, instead just tell the pump that you are eating XXXX amount of carb and switch off. Eat your meal, and then enter the bolus amount that you scribbled down without entering the amount of carb again. You should be able to track the bolus insulin's affect against the carb eaten which is handy as the pump displays the insulin left as being active. Just wait about 3.5hrs and then you'll be able to see how much of the carb bolus is still left as BOB or IOB lol. If you do your bolus that way though, you should definately wait for 4hrs before you do another correction assuming that your acting time on the combo is set to 4hrs (novorapid ?) and that your targets are set ok.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Never tried it but...

I wonder if you can go in to my data... And modify it to put in carbs and see if it will allow you to bolus??

Never tried it though....just a thought....

Luckystar96

Thanks for the replies.
I like the idea from iHs about doing the correction first (if needed), I will try that tomorrow.
The trouble is, I don't know how much I'm going to eat til I've eaten it!!
I love this pump/meter. Before I was always doing calculations in my head at mealtimes, now I can let the machine do all the work and I can relax :)

iHs

Luckystar96 said:
Thanks for the replies.
I like the idea from iHs about doing the correction first (if needed), I will try that tomorrow.
The trouble is, I don't know how much I'm going to eat til I've eaten it!!
I love this pump/meter. Before I was always doing calculations in my head at mealtimes, now I can let the machine do all the work and I can relax :)

On the bg test that you do before you eat a meal, tell the pump that you are going to eat 10g carb and then deliver the bolus and let the pump calculate the correct amount if your bg levels are lower than your target. Then when you finish your meal go back into bolus advice and then enter the remainder of the carb that you have just eaten. Just remember though what you are doing and dont do as I did once and forgot that I had already bolused for 10g carb in advance and then bolused for the whole amount when I had finished the meal :roll: :lol: