Help with celiac test

Sad21+

Hello I need alot of help. I'm getting a test to see if I have celiac. I have IBS I've stopped eating gluten for 8-9 years. But I must eat gluten I'm afraid.

I'm prediabetic and I'm worried about the blood spikes plus the pain if eating gluten.

Any advice would be great. I'm supposed to start eating gluten today. The doctor said I need to eat gluten for a week to show something on the tests. But I'm afraid. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You will just have to bite the bullet I'm afraid, if you are coeliac and if you dont eat any gluten then the test wont show anything

If may well spike your blood sugar or may cause pain for your IBS :( but if you want the tests done and it to be accurate you need to eat gluten, at least you know its only for a week (cant remember how long they told me when they tested me - but that was back in 2005)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I need alot of help. I'm getting a test to see if I have celiac. I have IBS I've stopped eating gluten for 8-9 years. But I must eat gluten I'm afraid.

I'm prediabetic and I'm worried about the blood spikes plus the pain if eating gluten.

Any advice would be great. I'm supposed to start eating gluten today. The doctor said I need to eat gluten for a week to show something on the tests. But I'm afraid. Any help would be great. Thank you.
I have been tested for coeliac several times now. This testing had mainly been done by the Endo I see for my wonky thyroid.

When it first came up, I raised the challenges of already being long term grain free (not consciously GF), and the need to consume gluten before the test. My Endo's take on it was that I shouldn't change my diet prior to the test, even though he acknowledges it probably would not return a positive result. His rationale was it would be living (for me) and unnatural life.

My results thus far (I reckon I have had 5 or 6 panels now) have been inconclusive. The Endo's recommendation was that I adopt a totally GF lifestyle immediately and accept it as lifelong.

A coeliac antibodies panel is like many other autoimmune conditions; the absence of antibodies does not rule out the condition (in this instance coeliac). Antibodies over a certain level definitely rule it in.

The Coeliac Society guidance is this:

"....
If you've already reduced or eliminated gluten from your diet, you will need to reintroduce it to make sure you get the most accurate test results. While it may be difficult and uncomfortable, it’s essential for your long term health.

As a general guideline, the recommendation is to eat some gluten in more than one meal every day for at least six weeks before testing.

For children, you can mix wheat flour into foods such as yogurt or baked beans to add more gluten into their diet.

If you are reintroducing gluten into your diet, you should discuss how best to manage your symptoms with your GP. Your GP will be able to arrange for you to be tested for coeliac disease as soon as it is appropriate....
."

Good luck with it, however you approach it.

• Informative
Reactions: silky1 and EllieM

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could get genetically tested to see if you have the genetic variants DQ2 and DQ8. if you don’t have those variants then it is unlikely you have coeliac . you could be non coeliac gluten intolerant , which has the same symptoms as coeliac , but without the immune response . If you have either or both DQ2/DQ8 then, as others have said, you will have to stomach the gluten challenge and test for antibodies. It matters not if you have coeliac or non coeliac gluten intolerance , it means no gluten.

My daughter attempted the gluten challenge, but she threw up instantly. The tiny amount that she ingested from the 30 seconds she kept it down activated an immune response testing positive for antibodies. The confirmed coeliac.

I have both genetic variants, before ceasing all gluten, Previously I suffered with duodenal ulcers over a number of years. I was hospitalized. They tested me three times for h pylori over several years and every time negative.
Im guessing as with you , you had a range of symptoms : IBS, bloating, vomiting, diarrhea , mouth ulcers . And later I had 2 skin disorders , dermatitis herpetiformis and gluten triggered urticaria. All those have pretty much disappeared when I ceased gluten.

silky1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Only you can really make that decision - I'd only been off it for about 9 months and they wanted me to do the so called "Gluten Challenge" - for the sake of a formal diagnosis - to me it wasn't worth the effort - that was about 15 years ago now and without queston, I made the right choice

Sorry - not very helpful really - but I'd imagine you could have quite a poor response given you've been Gluten free for near enough a decade

ETA to add - if you consider what you are eating - then I don't see why blood spikes should come into it - if you research gluten free foods, you will see that generally they contain more sugar and fat to get a similar effect when compared to gluten based foods.

silky1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could get genetically tested to see if you have the genetic variants DQ2 and DQ8. if you don’t have those variants then it is unlikely you have coeliac . you could be non coeliac gluten intolerant , which has the same symptoms as coeliac , but without the immune response . If you have either or both DQ2/DQ8 then, as others have said, you will have to stomach the gluten challenge and test for antibodies. It matters not if you have coeliac or non coeliac gluten intolerance , it means no gluten.

My daughter attempted the gluten challenge, but she threw up instantly. The tiny amount that she ingested from the 30 seconds she kept it down activated an immune response testing positive for antibodies. The confirmed coeliac.

I have both genetic variants, before ceasing all gluten, Previously I suffered with duodenal ulcers over a number of years. I was hospitalized. They tested me three times for h pylori over several years and every time negative.
Im guessing as with you , you had a range of symptoms : IBS, bloating, vomiting, diarrhea , mouth ulcers . And later I had 2 skin disorders , dermatitis herpetiformis and gluten triggered urticaria. All those have pretty much disappeared when I ceased gluten.
My dermatologist (and others before him) are adamant that clearing around 90% of my eczema through switching to a gluten free diet is not related to my eczema in any way. It was a very much welcomed "side effect"

I was incredibly ill when I eventually changed - I'd lost three stone in three months - I couldn't eat anything and was told I had Collagenous Colitis - I had a second attack a year or so later and lost another three stone (at that stage I was up and down still finding hidden gluten everywhere)
I couldn't leave the house - if I did - even a sip of water to help my dry mouth would see me stuck in the bathroom - horrible.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been tested for coeliac several times now. This testing had mainly been done by the Endo I see for my wonky thyroid.

When it first came up, I raised the challenges of already being long term grain free (not consciously GF), and the need to consume gluten before the test. My Endo's take on it was that I shouldn't change my diet prior to the test, even though he acknowledges it probably would not return a positive result. His rationale was it would be living (for me) and unnatural life.

My results thus far (I reckon I have had 5 or 6 panels now) have been inconclusive. The Endo's recommendation was that I adopt a totally GF lifestyle immediately and accept it as lifelong.

A coeliac antibodies panel is like many other autoimmune conditions; the absence of antibodies does not rule out the condition (in this instance coeliac). Antibodies over a certain level definitely rule it in.

The Coeliac Society guidance is this:

"....
If you've already reduced or eliminated gluten from your diet, you will need to reintroduce it to make sure you get the most accurate test results. While it may be difficult and uncomfortable, it’s essential for your long term health.

As a general guideline, the recommendation is to eat some gluten in more than one meal every day for at least six weeks before testing.

For children, you can mix wheat flour into foods such as yogurt or baked beans to add more gluten into their diet.

If you are reintroducing gluten into your diet, you should discuss how best to manage your symptoms with your GP. Your GP will be able to arrange for you to be tested for coeliac disease as soon as it is appropriate....
."

Good luck with it, however you approach it.
When my daughter was little, her play dates were fraught. Moms would roll out the pizza snacks and our daughter would come home vomiting and crying. It took 10 years to get that official coeliac diagnosis for her. The tiniest amount of gluten would bring it all on. She doesn't get the skin rashes like I do. I do think it's very important for children to get tested because of the damage it causes along with your body's inability to absorb vitamins and nutrients. I was a painfully thin child, but no symptoms. I do have symptoms now and I also had issues earlier like all the stomach ulcers I was getting from my late 30's, my inability to eat any breads. I was also very thin due to the fact that I was not getting the most from my food. I weighed just 100lbs and I was just a tad under 5'7" at the time. I tested positive for the gene variants associated with Coeliac , DQ2 & DQ8. That was enough for me and my Dr agreed. I also have the immune response to gluten errupting on my skin. All my symptoms went as soon as I stopped eating gluten. If I accidentally eat a tiny bit of gluten the rashes come back along with the rest of it. We have a gluten free household.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My dermatologist (and others before him) are adamant that clearing around 90% of my eczema through switching to a gluten free diet is not related to my eczema in any way. It was a very much welcomed "side effect"

I was incredibly ill when I eventually changed - I'd lost three stone in three months - I couldn't eat anything and was told I had Collagenous Colitis - I had a second attack a year or so later and lost another three stone (at that stage I was up and down still finding hidden gluten everywhere)
I couldn't leave the house - if I did - even a sip of water to help my dry mouth would see me stuck in the bathroom - horrible.
That's interesting. There are a number skin conditions related to an immune response to gluten. I have two of them. Coeliac can cause no end of bodily issues, not all of them are associated with your small intestines which, of course, is the primary place it does the most damage. I also get a dry mouth, but not sure if that is associated with Coeliac or due to my meds.

Gluten is everywhere! As you know it is found in the most unlikely of foods and food additives. That is why I cook from scratch. I have recently returned from a trip to the UK, wow the UK has alot more gluten free products than Canada. Most gluten free products in supermarkets here are found in the 'pharmacy' section and very expensive. UK food prices (including gluten free products) in general are much cheaper than they are in Canada. Canada is very expensive.

I have a couple of apps on my phone I find useful - 'Gluten Free' and 'open Food Facts.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also find that Coeliac makes ones blood sugars unstable. I find unstable blood sugars associated with Coeliac is a common issue.