Help with celiac test

Sad21+

Hello I need alot of help. I'm getting a test to see if I have celiac. I have IBS I've stopped eating gluten for 8-9 years. But I must eat gluten I'm afraid.

I'm prediabetic and I'm worried about the blood spikes plus the pain if eating gluten.

Any advice would be great. I'm supposed to start eating gluten today. The doctor said I need to eat gluten for a week to show something on the tests. But I'm afraid. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You will just have to bite the bullet I'm afraid, if you are coeliac and if you dont eat any gluten then the test wont show anything

If may well spike your blood sugar or may cause pain for your IBS :( but if you want the tests done and it to be accurate you need to eat gluten, at least you know its only for a week (cant remember how long they told me when they tested me - but that was back in 2005)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I need alot of help. I'm getting a test to see if I have celiac. I have IBS I've stopped eating gluten for 8-9 years. But I must eat gluten I'm afraid.

I'm prediabetic and I'm worried about the blood spikes plus the pain if eating gluten.

Any advice would be great. I'm supposed to start eating gluten today. The doctor said I need to eat gluten for a week to show something on the tests. But I'm afraid. Any help would be great. Thank you.
I have been tested for coeliac several times now. This testing had mainly been done by the Endo I see for my wonky thyroid.

When it first came up, I raised the challenges of already being long term grain free (not consciously GF), and the need to consume gluten before the test. My Endo's take on it was that I shouldn't change my diet prior to the test, even though he acknowledges it probably would not return a positive result. His rationale was it would be living (for me) and unnatural life.

My results thus far (I reckon I have had 5 or 6 panels now) have been inconclusive. The Endo's recommendation was that I adopt a totally GF lifestyle immediately and accept it as lifelong.

A coeliac antibodies panel is like many other autoimmune conditions; the absence of antibodies does not rule out the condition (in this instance coeliac). Antibodies over a certain level definitely rule it in.

The Coeliac Society guidance is this:

"....
If you've already reduced or eliminated gluten from your diet, you will need to reintroduce it to make sure you get the most accurate test results. While it may be difficult and uncomfortable, it’s essential for your long term health.

As a general guideline, the recommendation is to eat some gluten in more than one meal every day for at least six weeks before testing.

For children, you can mix wheat flour into foods such as yogurt or baked beans to add more gluten into their diet.

If you are reintroducing gluten into your diet, you should discuss how best to manage your symptoms with your GP. Your GP will be able to arrange for you to be tested for coeliac disease as soon as it is appropriate....
."

Good luck with it, however you approach it.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM