1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Help with Insulin

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by cal27naidoo, May 22, 2014.

1. cal27naidoo

cal27naidoo Type 1 · Active Member

Hi guys,

Need to know something. I have to inject myself during lunch at work. The doctor told me I need to keep my insulin refrigerated as it will spoil. Finding it really hard as we don't have a fridge at office... Any advice on what I can do here?

2. Crimsonclient

Crimsonclient LADA · Well-Known Member

You can get wallets keeps it cool

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
    NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

3. cal27naidoo

Hi Crimson. Do you have any idea where I can purchase that from? Do you maybe have a picture of it?

Thanks for your reply

Callen Naidoo

4. Indiana91

Indiana91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think they're called frio wallets

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Crimsonclient

Crimsonclient LADA · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. cal27naidoo

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

Callen Naidoo

7. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Frio wallets yes, but if you using a pen for your insulin requirements- when in use it doesn't need refridgeration... So unless you are suffering from forgetfulness or working away from home, why would you need spares at work?
    Sorry, i had pens and injections for 28 years and worked away, only coming home at weekends..i never asked anybody, whether hotels, 3rd partt distribution centres or anybody ever to keep space for me in a fridge for my insulin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 4
  8. cal27naidoo

Hi Donnelly.

I been taking insulin for about 5 years now. I always assume that you need to refrigerate the insulin. I only found out after posting this question that you only need to keep unused insulin pens in the fridge.

Callen Naidoo

9. Weird Science

Weird Science Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I saw somewhere that "in use" insulin pens can be kept at around 16 - 25 degrees Celsius, but that at 27C they will lose their potency by 14%, but that is if it has been at 27C for the full 4 weeks, and at 29C it's 18%.
    Use the wallets if your going to be above 25C, otherwise don't worry, only keep unused in the fridge.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  10. 1103andrewb

1103andrewb Type 2 · Member

I was told that I need to refrigerate my stock of insulin in the fridge, but when I take a new pen or cartridge out it has a shelf life of 28 days out of the fridge, if I have not used it all after the 28 days (like that would ever happen) it has to be disposed of, and start to use a new one.

• Like Like x 2
  11. cal27naidoo

I checked on the manufacturers website, advised about the same information. I always kept it in the fridge, that's what my Doctor told me to do... Guess I learnt something new from this forum:).

Callen Naidoo

12. cal27naidoo

What insulin are you on? They say on the fast acting insulin(Apidra) I can keep it for 28 days out of the fridge and the long acting insulin(Humulin N) can be kept for 14 days.

Callen Naidoo

13. 1103andrewb

1103andrewb Type 2 · Member

Hi, Andrew here. I have Humulin I, this I inject at 18 units at night before bed. I also have Humulin S, which I inject up to 4 times a day depending on my blood sugar levels. both are kept in my fridge until I need them, once out of the fridge I am told the shelf life is 28 days. xx

14. cal27naidoo

Wow Andrew, and I'm complaining about poking myself 4 times a day... How's your glucose levels thou? I used to take Humulin 30/70: 30 units in the morning and 30 units at night with 2 pills of diaglucide twice a day... My levels was really high, always been double digits... Was really depressed about this... Doctor changed my medication from Tuesday... Taking Humulin N 40 units at night... And Aprida 20 units after each meal. Hopefully all works out for me... I'm stressing that I'm so young and my levels are super high.

Callen Naidoo

15. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

If it's one of the Novodisk pens with cartridges such as Levemir and Novorapid then once out of the fridge and in use it should NOT be stored in the fridge and used within 28 days at room temp. Before use it should be stored in the fridge below 8deg C. It's all explained in the leaflet that comes with the cartridges.

• Like Like x 6
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook