Help with Metformin and Diarrhea

sean401

I am on Metformin ER and I am currently basically housebound due to frequent diarrhea. I am talking full sprints in the house to get to the toilet in time.

This has been going on for a month. First my doctor said take ER instead of the regular stuff. Then he cut my dose. And still the problem is awful.

I am awaiting an appointment with an endocrinologist. In the interim I am thinking of stopping the Metformin until I can talk to my doctor or endocrinologist. And yes I have cut my carbs.

help

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @sean401

Sounds like a chat with the doc is important. We can’t tell you what to do in relation to your medication, but I’d be having exactly the same thoughts as you!

Do you test your blood sugars with a meter? That’d show you the impact of your dietary changes. They’re essential with or without metformin, so in your shoes I’d focus on that as it’ll help inform any future conversations with the medics too.

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on Metformin ER and I am currently basically housebound due to frequent diarrhea. I am talking full sprints in the house to get to the toilet in time.

This has been going on for a month. First my doctor said take ER instead of the regular stuff. Then he cut my dose. And still the problem is awful.

I am awaiting an appointment with an endocrinologist. In the interim I am thinking of stopping the Metformin until I can talk to my doctor or endocrinologist. And yes I have cut my carbs.

help
It sounds like you have done the things I would with respect to trying it for a period, and then trying the ER version and seeing how that improves

As @Goonergal said and you are doing, speaking to the doctor is important and I would make it clear just how much of an impact this is having as you shouldn't put up with this for sure, sounds awful and you have my sympathy

Unfortunately whilst most tolerate Metformin really well, some do have the issues you describe and cannot sustain. Discussing with your doctor is the main thing to see options

what type you are and what do you know what your hba1c is?
Cutting carbs has helped some T2s to be able to move to a position where drugs are no longer needed. Doesn't always work but could be an option to look into also

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suffered with Metformin and Atorvastatin, stopped them in despair, and then found that I never needed them, so maybe telling your GP that you don't want to be dealing with the tablets and you'd rather see how diet alone works would be a good idea.
You should be aware that my diabetes was fixed in a few weeks and my GP hasn't spoken to me since - I think he's sulking.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

help

I did what you are considering when in a similar situation.

I decide what goes into my body.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @sean401

If you don't have one get a meter so you can test your levels and this will enable you to both test and modify your diet and give you the confidence to make a decision about continuing with Metformin or trying to control with diet only. Discuss this with your GP. I chose to stop taking Metformin with out my GP's approval but was testing my levels every morning and following a low calorie low carb diet

All the best let us know how you go