Help with overnight/morning basal rates

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes I agree with altering the 7pm to 5pm to get the 0.70.
Whats your current carb rate?

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Janelle incidentally- are your coffees just instant coffees with milk and water?
They are from a coffee machine at work. I believe it has milk powder in it but not 100% sure. I got 6g carb from trial and error. I started with 1 unit and kept reducing until I discovered that 0.6 units covered it (up until yesterday 0.6 units was not causing me to go low). SO based on what I thought my carb ratio was I assumed it had 6g carb.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Much better to be able to see 5 hours (and no corrections!!!) by the way!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I would if me change it to 1 to 11. I never change my bolus by more than 1g.
Reason being... 1 to 10 for 60g should give 6 units.
1 to 12 would reduce the dose to just 5 units...
1 whole unit reduction at once may well shoot you up high. I wouldn't change to 1 to 11g.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry, last night the site on my iphone kept crAshing...so couldn't post anything else.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Janelle123 I definitely think go to 1u to 12g or at least 1u:11g on the carb ratio. And probably lower the basals as well, as suggested. Normally wouldn't say change two things but you can't be having hypos and apart from anything else the constant corrections make it hard to make sense of the data which wastes your hard work.

The unseasonal warm weather is a likely culprit. I was going to ask if you are coming into winter down there because actually it's like you were coming into summer.

Far easier to tune your blood sugars from slightly high down to just right, than it is to tune them upward from hypo levels.

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suppose another possibility is a sudden burst of hormones. Have you done a pregnancy test lately?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Assuming you haven't recently lost weight, started exercising, started taking Metformin or other medication?

Hmm, folic acid. Might that affect blood sugar?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, and the only reason I think it works for you DD using basal for your coffees is because you have them regularly throughout the day.

I though that but have now removed 90% of coffee out of my day and my basals have stayed perfect... I thought that they would drop... But no, still perfect!!

I'll have to ask around others I know that pump whether they bolus for coffees. Seeing my consultant next week so I will ask her what information they give regarding coffees.

Janelle did say she drinks at regular times... But as we are all individual it depends really I guess as well how many and how often people want to get out the pumps or handsets. I never got my injections out for coffees either. Even when I drank less and at set times.

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suppose another possibility is a sudden burst of hormones. Have you done a pregnancy test lately?
Not yet. If I am pregnant it would've only just been conceived. I guess it could be from the change in hormones after ovulation?

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Assuming you haven't recently lost weight, started exercising, started taking Metformin or other medication?

Hmm, folic acid. Might that affect blood sugar?
I've lost about 1kg but not sure that would make this much difference to my insulin requirements. I never exercise lol. I've been taking Meformin for 12 years abd folic acid for about 2 years.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hows levels today? And your heatwave?

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the worst night ever! Even with the reduced basal rates this is what happened last night:

9:27pm = 4.8 = 81g = 8.1 units (I know, I'll slap my own wrist for you. It was McDonald's though and past experience told me that I usually require approx 20% extra insulin with fast foods so I stuck to my 1:10 ratio - I have definitely changed it to 1:12 now though)
10:02pm = 6.6
10:31pm = 8.1
1:54am = 2.5 = 20g (technically there should of been hardly any IOB right?)
2:26am = 2.3 = 20g
2:34am = 2.1 = 20g
2:46am = 1.8 = 20g
2:53am = 2.2
3:02am = 2.5
3:17am = 3.2
3:44am = 4.3
4:59am = 11.2 = 2.85 units
6:03am = 11.0
7:34am = 6.0
8:18am = 6.2 = 34g = 2.85 units
9:00am = 6.1

I had 5 drinks after work yesterday. Could that be the reason that I went so low in the night?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What were the drinks?

I think you need to lower those basals. These lows are too low.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes the drinks explain the overnight low. Alcohol suppresses your basal output of glucose (glycogen) from the liver. Chalk that up to experience.