Help with pump

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, anyone using an accu chek combo. Have to change the infusion set. I know how to prime the tubing, but was told to bolus 1 unit to fill the cannula. Anyone know how to do this without pump thinking it has bolused 1 unit which could affect suggested correction doses?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sent you pm..

Basically you can do this from pump or remote.

Try from remote first.....
Tab down to PUMP on remote
Use left arrow key to tab to STANDARD BOLUS
PRESS RIGHT ARROW KEY
use keys to go up to 1.0 unit
Press RIGHT ARROW (twice I believe)

That does not register..

There is another 2 ways to do this...

justjay

brett said:
Hi, anyone using an accu chek combo. Have to change the infusion set. I know how to prime the tubing, but was told to bolus 1 unit to fill the cannula. Anyone know how to do this without pump thinking it has bolused 1 unit which could affect suggested correction doses?

I dont have that pump (yet!) but is it possible to prime it slightly?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

This is the way I do all my priming of infusion sets with the Combo

I just put pump into Stop mode using the pump and then pressing the top button keep pressing until Infusion set priming comes up and then enter it and just prime the required number of units of insulin into the infusion set and then quickly press the Stop button to prevent more insulin being primed. I admit, you do have to be careful and keep your eye on the units being primed and quickly press stop but this works all ok and the pump wont know that youve primed insulin into the set and count it as a correction or carb bolus..

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all, first change done now, did think about the priming function, will try that next time. How I don't get distracted and end with with the extra 25 units being primed into me lol

iHs

Hi

Yes you do have to be careful and on the ball and not allow yourself to be distracted.

I have a feeling that you are using the Flexlink. Have you thought about using the Rapid D as that set needs to be primed first before the needle is inserted and is very straight forward to use.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agree totally with that Brett... I couldnt do it that way.. I would be seriously od'd as I get so distracted!!!

Well done for 1st changeover!! It's nerve wracking!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rapid d's better for priming.. You see insulin coming out of needle before putting in. Flexlinks with me gave too many occlusions cos of my muscles

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, using flex link, will have a look in my books about other canulas, need to order some monday so might give some a go and see how I go. Have to say can't feel the flexlink in me at all, same with rapid d I would suspect.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
With rapid d's you'll know straight away if it hurts you've hit muscle or blood. I cant put in stomach due to blood and muscle but my bum is great.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wonder why there isn't a built in function for it on the Accu-chek.
With the Medtronic you just go the relevant screen, press fixed prime, it shows the amount you've set previously and you either press OK or you can change the amount and then press OK. Very simple and safe.
It won't do a cannula fill/prime except as part of the rewind during which it keeps warning you to not to be connected.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
With accuchek you can set priming (the tubes) to varying amounts, mine is set at 25 units as I have 100cm tubes.

However with the flexlinks you have to put them in and then prime (i think their reccomended prime is 0.7) the cannula. Under certain programmes the 1 unit will be thought of as a correction unit. This then the pump thinks is insulin on board so will play against any food you have... Ie we are told to do set changes before food bolus.. Never before bed.. If we then eat food unless you use the right programme the pump will bolus less!!

Much easier with rapid's as you prime them before they go in.. But then as stainless steel, they do have to be chnged every 2 days..

Theres ways around everything though.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whoops my post didn't make sense, should have said
It won't do a tube fill/prime except as part of the rewind during which it keeps warning you to not to be connected. It doesn't have a set amount for that one , you just keep the button depressed until the insulin comes out of the end. (Mine only needs 7.5 units, I think I'd strangle myself with a longer tube :lol: )
Both of the sets I've used need priming in situ, that's why I was surprised that there wasn't a specific command.