1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Help

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Robert 2170, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Robert 2170

Robert 2170 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi I am looking for some advice and help. I am on a pump and am starting to find that I can't get away with as much as I used to. I am taking more insulin than ever I am 4 years in to being type 1 I was diagnosed at 48 and been on the pump nearly 2 years
    My nurse has said I should see the dietitian at the hospital do you think this will help

2. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Did she say why you should see the dietician?
    I presume, as you're on the pump, that you've done the DAFNE course or equivalent.

3. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Simple solution is to count your carbs correctly and make sure your basal is correct. It doesn't matter if you are using MDI or a pump you can not get away with anything. We can't help you because you have to help yourself.

4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

By "get away" with things, do you mean sneaky extra food? If you do, as a fellow grazer, my DSN warned me that the pump was less forgiving than MDI because it was more precise. So I bolus for any extra carby food, even if it's a small amount.

5. rockape37

rockape37 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would personally accept all the help that was offered to me so the answer is YES.

Regards
    Martin

6. Robert 2170

Robert 2170 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi sorry for late response
    Saw the nurse she has said I could see her in stead of the dietitian and as you have all said it is up to me to make the change
    Well last week my readings have been no higher than 7 and any thing I eat that is more than 5 carbs I take insulin bit more work but it is working

7. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Very pleased things have improved for you @Robert 2170 :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook