Type 2 Help!

nannoo_bird

I have recently been changed from Levemir and Apidra to Humulin. I have found it very difficult to control my BG levels on Humulin and e-mailed my DN, who said we would discuss this at our next appointment at the end of June. However, I have just tested by blood, and it was 26.4. For lunch I had a small bowl of pasta (I do not eat carbs often) and that was 5 hours ago. I am due to take my next dose of Humulin shortly, before dinner. But that BG level is frightening, and I don't know how much to take.

Also, I wondered if I can just stop the Humulin and go back to my old regime - I still have stocks in the fridge - as I know I can control my BG levels with that. But would that be dangerous.

It is Saturday evening and as there is an NHS crisis, I doubt whether I could get any advice at a hospital (20 miles away) or on the NHS helpline.

Can anyone help? Thank you - I am worried, which is obviously raising my BG levels!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 so know nothing, but wait there are many type 1 people in here too who really know how to do

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @nannoo_bird .

How much humulin are you currently taking?

Did you take extra for the higher carb meal?

nannoo_bird

Hi @nannoo_bird .

How much humulin are you currently taking?

Did you take extra for the higher carb meal?

I was told to take 58 units before breakfast, and 32 before dinner. Before, if I knew I was going to eat some carbs, I would take Apidra, but I have been told to take Humulin only twice a day, 12 hours apart, and increase it by two units if the previous reading was high.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@nannoo_bird I see what you're talking about. That really is high: 26.4 mmol/l (475 mg/dl). How high are your glucose levels normally?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't know if your dn will appreciate my advice to you but I'll tell you what I do then you can choose whether to get hold of dn on monday asap or manage it a bit longer yourself.

Right
When I get a high bg from unexpected carbs, not protein or fat but carbs I decide which kind of carb. Sugary carb will spike you for less time than a very starchy carb feast. Starchy carb will hang around unless mopped up by extra insulin. (Which will add weight)
Because your highs are consistant you could increase the mixed insulin til a hint of a hypo. It is imperative you test regularly. Have you plenty of strips and spare batteries for your meter? I test 9times in difficult high or low bg times.
Increase your breakfast and lunch inj by extra 3 units each. Test test and test.
Do nothing else til tomorrow. Don't skip a meal.

Reactions: Freema

nannoo_bird

I don't know if your dn will appreciate my advice to you but I'll tell you what I do then you can choose whether to get hold of dn on monday asap or manage it a bit longer yourself.

Right
When I get a high bg from unexpected carbs, not protein or fat but carbs I decide which kind of carb. Sugary carb will spike you for less time than a very starchy carb feast. Starchy carb will hang around unless mopped up by extra insulin. (Which will add weight)
Because your highs are consistant you could increase the mixed insulin til a hint of a hypo. It is imperative you test regularly. Have you plenty of strips and spare batteries for your meter? I test 9times in difficult high or low bg times.
Increase your breakfast and lunch inj by extra 3 units each. Test test and test.
Do nothing else til tomorrow. Don't skip a meal.

Ickihun, you are a star!! Thank you so much, and that is exactly what I will do. Fasting this morning, 15.2. Took 3 extra units before breakfast. I will compose an e-mail today to my DN asking if I can return to using Levemir and Apidra until I see her in late June. Someone told me they were surprised that I had been put on Humulin, as I am around 20% overweight, and Humulin is not stable for overweight people.

Reactions: Winnie53

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ickihun, you are a star!! Thank you so much, and that is exactly what I will do. Fasting this morning, 15.2. Took 3 extra units before breakfast. I will compose an e-mail today to my DN asking if I can return to using Levemir and Apidra until I see her in late June. Someone told me they were surprised that I had been put on Humulin, as I am around 20% overweight, and Humulin is not stable for overweight people.
I've been on humulin m3 for 2yrs now. Starting tomorrow I'm changing to toujeo300 and novarapid.
I'm looking forward to separate insulins again. I had separates in both pregnancies so I'm more confident on separates too.
I'm hoping for a good basal outcome so I can skip a meal occasionally. I never did when I was pregnant but I never added weight in pregnancy either.
I'm quite excited in fact. More flexible for me.
How long have you been on humulin and why did they change you?

Reactions: TooManyCrisps

nannoo_bird

I've been on humulin m3 for 2yrs now. Starting tomorrow I'm changing to toujeo300 and novarapid.
I'm looking forward to separate insulins again. I had separates in both pregnancies so I'm more confident on separates too.
I'm hoping for a good basal outcome so I can skip a meal occasionally. I never did when I was pregnant but I never added weight in pregnancy either.
I'm quite excited in fact. More flexible for me.
How long have you been on humulin and why did they change you?

Hope it all goes well for you. We got new DN, and I think she just wanted to make her mark. I've only been on Humulin for around 2 months, but my BGs have been all over the place. I would love to find someone who could look at my diet and lifestyle, and recommend an insulin, medication and diet regime, and explain how it works. But every doctor and DN I have seen has a different view.

Reactions: Winnie53

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I wonder why you were switched from Basal/Bolus to a mixed insulin? Although it means fewer injections blood sugar control is not as good. If you were happy with Basal/Bolus and there are no contraindications, then I would ask the DN to go back to the old regime?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On Humulin, higher than usual - around 9 fasting, and can go up to 12 two hours after a meal.

Fasting 9 mmol/l (162 mg/dl), 2-hour post meal 12 mmol/l (216 mg/dl). I've seen worse. If you ever want support dialing in your low carb diet, PM me. Anytime. Sounds like getting your insulin needs sorted out is a good first step. :)

nannoo_bird

Fasting 9 mmol/l (162 mg/dl), 2-hour post meal 12 mmol/l (216 mg/dl). I've seen worse. If you ever want support dialing in your low carb diet, PM me. Anytime. Sounds like getting your insulin needs sorted out is a good first step. :)

Firstly, Daibell, I have asked my DN by e-mail if I can go back to my old regime for now. Winnie, I would be so grateful for your help. I will PM you in the next day or so, if that is OK.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anytime is fine nannoo_bird. I work all day Tuesdays through Thursdays so be patient with me. :)