Help

Dollymop

My daughter who is 11 has had the HCB1 test and was 47. She is had the fasting glucose test she was 4.7 fasting and 2 hours later after the drink she was 18.9. Can anyone advise before we visit the diabetic consultant ? Thanks

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Dollymop . I would suggest that you wait to see your daughters diabetes consultant. Only that person will have all the data and information to give you the answers to your questions.
Don’t miss understand me, there are some extremely knowledgeable posters here but we just don’t have enough facts or information relevant to your situation.
I would suggest that you do not google too much about this and most definitely do not make any changes to your daughters current diet prior to your appointment.
If you need to come back here and join us then you will be welcome with open arms.
Oh and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: EllieM and Dollymop

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Dollymop . I would suggest that you wait to see your daughters diabetes consultant. Only that person will have all the data and information to give you the answers to your questions..
@Dollymop if your daughter starts feeling ill or throwing up, head to A&E immediately and I mean immediately, I'm surprised they didn't do anything immediately, at age 11 it would normally be assumed to be T1 which can go wrong very quickly

Reactions: Dollymop

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Dollymop
As @therower says no one here can give a diagnosis or medical advice.
How long is it until the appointment?

Dollymop

@Dollymop . I would suggest that you wait to see your daughters diabetes consultant. Only that person will have all the data and information to give you the answers to your questions.
Don’t miss understand me, there are some extremely knowledgeable posters here but we just don’t have enough facts or information relevant to your situation.
I would suggest that you do not google too much about this and most definitely do not make any changes to your daughters current diet prior to your appointment.
If you need to come back here and join us then you will be welcome with open arms.
Oh and welcome to the forum.
Thanks

Dollymop

@Dollymop if your daughter starts feeling ill or throwing up, head to A&E immediately and I mean immediately, I'm surprised they didn't do anything immediately, at age 11 it would normally be assumed to be T1 which can go wrong very quickly
Hopefully it won't come to that fingers crossed. Is 18.9 high?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Dollymop. Of course as @Rokaab points out if at anytime you are concerned for your daughters welfare then make A&E your priority. Hopefully it won’t come to this..
Thanks for adding such important information @Rokaab . :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Dollymop

Welcome to the forum :)

What prompted the tests in the first place ? As you can appreciate we cannot diagnose here, however if this is Type 1 then surprised you have got a 2 week wait to see the consultant, is she feeling unwell at present ? please keep a careful eye on her and if she does become unwell, then straight to A&E.

Dollymop

Hello @Dollymop

Welcome to the forum :)

What prompted the tests in the first place ? As you can appreciate we cannot diagnose here, however if this is Type 1 then surprised you have got a 2 week wait to see the consultant, is she feeling unwell at present ? please keep a careful eye on her and if she does become unwell, then straight to A&E.
It was constant water infections. She has had hcb1 tests done and is under a consultant however she was admitted to the children's ward to do the glucose test which was a high reading x

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An hba1c of 47 indicates that she’s been running much higher than normal blood sugars, and 18mmol post glucose tolerance test is extremely elevated. I’m not sure why they’re leaving it 2 weeks to be followed up, as untreated t1 (if that’s what it is) can deteriorate extremely rapidly. Did they test for ketones or give you a monitor to test in the mean time? I’d be prepared to go to a&e at the slightest concern... lost weight, tired, thirsty or constant urination, vomiting, sweet smelling breath.