Help....

MISSY37

Hi all I'm I'm hoping for some advice.

2 months ago I underwent some tests, after having a blood test I was called the next day to say my vitamin D levels were extremely low and that I would need to take some tablets. I queried my blood sugars and was told that they were fine 5.4.

2 weeks back I received a call from another doctor to give me my results again, I kindly told her I already had them and had started vitamin treatment, the doctor got really angry at this point told me I was wasting her time (she called me) and then said "oh and you have diabetes " I then said the other doctor said I was fine but she said my Hba1c was 52. I asked her what this meant and what I would need to do but the line was hung up on. I still have not received any answers now have my requests for call backs been answered.

Can you tell me if a hba1c of 52 is high, do I need treatment or is it low enough for me to diet control. Can I reverse this number or am i idiabetic for life. Could being vitamin d deficient cause diabetes.

I keep reading symptoms and I'm never thirsty, never get up during the night etc so I'm so confused. Admittedly I am overweight.

Sorry for all the questions

mouseee

Dont panic!!

That's the first thing.

52 is a very low number really. Diagnosis is at 48. Many of us on here were diagnosed at a much higher number. Mine was 101. However, I have got mine down to 39 mainly through a low carb diet in 7 months. And that's what most on here would advocate.
Type 2 diabetics cant process carbs due to insulin resistance. We make insulin but our bodies cant use it. Instead the excess glucose first fill fat cells and the sloshes round us and our blood sugar goes up. Reducing the amount of carbs we eat reduces or stops that process

Adopting a low carb diet will help lose weight too. In fact, gaining weight can be caused by diabetes rather than cause it. I've lost 2 stone in the 7 months too. Still another stone to go and that's proving harder but I can do it!

You may well have not had any symptoms you knew were diabetes linked but I found I had loads I didn't know were even symptoms. And you will undoubtedly feel hugely better when you reduce your blood sugar, even if you didn't know you felt ill!

Also, blood glucose monitor. Very important. You can find how foods effect you.

There'll be useful links given to you soon when others read your post!
Stick around. If I can do it, so can you!

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Missy37, I'm disgusted with how the doctor treated you. I'm afraid this attitude is spreading in NHS personnel. I find the non-English doctors to be whole lot less interested in their patients too. I hope you don't let it deter you from seeking medical help when you need it - as the GP will be getting funding from the government based on the number of patients on their books. So you pay her wages. Look at it like that.

Reactions: annie-p

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That doctor sounds appalling. It's probably best for you not to dwell on it too much: just remember that particular doctor can't really be trusted to be doing things in your best interests, and take the lesson that NHS doctors in general can be deeply ignorant and unsympathetic when it comes to diabetes.
The main point is what do you do next?
For me, I would want to do some more tests. Those numbers of yours look quite good: I believe you need more than one high test to be actually diagnosed as diabetic. I was diagnosed as diabetic, but in my second test, I had normal readings and the same doctor downgraded it to pre-diabetic. Worth getting a test from someone less nakedly incompetent, I would say.
That said, the actual diagnosis is slightly moot. Whether you have nascent diabetes, or pre-diabetes, or metabolic syndrome- your course of action should be similar. Lower your blood sugar by lowering your carb intake, this will also (probably) lower your weight. More exercise is also good- walking and suchlike is ideal. But really, lower your carbs- sugar should be out, also bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and most fruit. Try to replace them with meat and leafy vegetables, cauliflower, broccoli- that sort of thing.
You can research more on this site: you look like a prime candidate to reverse whatever is going on, so please think positive and take positive steps- getting in control feels great, and it's worth the learning curve.
Good luck!

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Your angry doctor could have been a bit more diplomatic but is essentially not far from being on the money. Probably should have told you the extent since low 50s isn't really but high enough for it to be brought to your attention. The spot test of 5.4 is pretty useless as it will be dependant on when you last ate. HbA1c is a better indicator as tracks the average over 3 months.

I don't know where you live but over here in Sydney, 52 which equates to an average BG of around 8 is higher than normal but not high enough to wheel out the medicine trolley. Most likely you will simply be told to lay off the carbs a bit and lose weight. In fact, many around here have no meds and with diet alone manage their BG with substantially higher readings at diagnosis than you have. Don't panic, it can be done with a bit of determination and grit.

Anyway, you've come to right place. I've learned much here so stick around and check in from time to time.
Glenn

M

Member496333

First job on the to-do list to is to seek clarification as to which doctor is actually correct. The 5.4 number is either a 5.4% HbA1c or 5.4mmol/L blood glucose. Neither constitute a diagnosis of diabetes, but a HbA1c of 52mmol/mol does.

In your shoes I would firstly be going to the surgery in person, unannounced, and I would not be leaving until I had my answers. This kind of incompetence cannot be allowed to stand. They will not want you to cause a scene on their own turf. In my experience, polite but firm face-to-face conversation with people who can't run away or hangup gets things done.

Once all that is sorted, spend some time hanging around here and asking as many questions as you like. Between us, we've heard and seen it all. There's not much you won't be able to get help with around here :D

Reactions: annie-p

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all I'm I'm hoping for some advice.

2 months ago I underwent some tests, after having a blood test I was called the next day to say my vitamin D levels were extremely low and that I would need to take some tablets. I queried my blood sugars and was told that they were fine 5.4.

2 weeks back I received a call from another doctor to give me my results again, I kindly told her I already had them and had started vitamin treatment, the doctor got really angry at this point told me I was wasting her time (she called me) and then said "oh and you have diabetes " I then said the other doctor said I was fine but she said my Hba1c was 52. I asked her what this meant and what I would need to do but the line was hung up on. I still have not received any answers now have my requests for call backs been answered.

Can you tell me if a hba1c of 52 is high, do I need treatment or is it low enough for me to diet control. Can I reverse this number or am i idiabetic for life. Could being vitamin d deficient cause diabetes.

I keep reading symptoms and I'm never thirsty, never get up during the night etc so I'm so confused. Admittedly I am overweight.

Sorry for all the questions
First, get some clarity on the numbers. If you have a surgery where you can log in to see your test results, do. You want those, so if that's not an option, get them printed off, and do that for every test result from here on in. Also, once you get some answers on your numbers, you might want to file a complaint or switch surgeries altogether. I know the GP's are being stretched thin with Corona going on, but no need to take it out on you.

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- this is everything I wish someone'd told me when I was first diagnosed. I hope it'll help you a little too...
Hugs,
Jo

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another point. Although GPs are behaving every more officiously towards their patients and even openly telling them their wasting their time (we pay taxes to have access to GPs!), they tend to overreact if you respond shirtily to them. It can be annoying to have to bow down to people not treating you right, but I always try to respond pleasantly to them however they treat me, so as not to give them an excuse to give me even poorer service.

MISSY37

Thanks all for your kind words, reassurance and support. Strangely this morning I have has a letter informing that I need to go to a diabetic clinic next month (guess they are just going to label me as diabetic without a second test)

I have brought a monitor and have only been checking my fasting numbers (as i dont want to become too obsessive just yet) every morning my numbers are 6.5 highest is 7.0 which im guessing is ok. Im going to look at diets and see what i can do before i attend the clinic next month.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you check your BG before and after meals then you can see how the food affects you and do something about it. The fasting level seems to me to be far less useful as I found so many things affected it - with no indication of which was doing what.