Help!

Bless M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey all,

I’m newly diagnosed, maybe 3/4 months. Struggling isn’t even the word at this point. I’ve been very slack with my meds (metformin). Recently decided I really need to pack it in and change for the better but my GP is beyond useless. I don’t have much knowledge about this all. I also have health anxiety so me looking up online isn’t the best thing for me in case I come across something my mind will run with.

I’m really scared of having this and cry most days because I find it so hard.

I hope I can meet people like me and maybe get some advice. I’m only 29 and feel like it’s too much stress.

Thanks I’m advance :)

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all know that feeling, once we were you.
The advice can be condensed as such:
(1) Research low carb.
(2) Get a meter.
(3) Eat to that meter.

The medical profession do not cover themselves in glory in T2 management & just recite 20 year old dogma.
It's your body so my advice is to school up & become your own practitioner.

J_P

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly - Welcome to the forums and loads of people who have (from what i can see) come at this from every angle and are super helpful.

What is the most important thing you want to know about ?

What is the thing worrying you most ? There will be someone here who can really help with advice / experience

What is the Dr being useless about ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all,

I’m newly diagnosed, maybe 3/4 months. Struggling isn’t even the word at this point. I’ve been very slack with my meds (metformin). Recently decided I really need to pack it in and change for the better but my GP is beyond useless. I don’t have much knowledge about this all. I also have health anxiety so me looking up online isn’t the best thing for me in case I come across something my mind will run with.

I hope I can meet people like me and maybe get some advice. I’m only 29 and feel like it’s too much stress.

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html These are some really quick basics you can implement to get control of your T2. Are you absolutely sure about the type? You're relatively young to develop T2. In any case, get yourself a meter, it'll be the biggest help anything can possibly be with this. And throw any questions you have out there, there's always someone around with answers. ;)
Jo, who cried a lot too until she discovered T2 is actually the easiest condition to manage which she has.

Bless M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, thanks for the response
Yeah I mean the DR seems sure it’s type 2. I was in denial for a while myself.. still am to be fair

That’s what I thought as well, I’m very young to have this and I think that’s what gets to me about it tbh.

I have a meter, only thing is with my anxiety coupled with this it makes it real (if that makes sense) when I do the meter. I’m not sure what’s too high to what’s normal or low

Thank you so much for the link as well it’s appreciated more than you know.

Is T2 really reversible

Bless M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By the way guys, I’ve tried to reply individually but the app won’t allow it

Bless M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To the first comment from Ronan thank you for the advice I appreciate it a lot

To the second comment

Thank you for the welcome, I’m glad I have a space to talk to people now

The most important thing is like to know is, what I can do to reverse this thing. I’m Afro Caribbean and I’ve been told by my nurse because of my genetics we as a culture are more likely to have this because of the foods we’ve grown up on and continue to eat. I really am trying to eat cleaner too.

I don’t know what’s too high of a level and what’s normal or low.

Like is this something you can “d” from ( don’t want to write the full word)

The DR hasn’t told me much about this apart from to shove metformin down my neck until the score lowers or for the rest of life. I also have ADHD so I’m very forgetful in terms of taking meds

J_P

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
is it reversible ?

I
n my (limited experience) and from what i read (Dr Fung is a good information source) YES.

For me following a low carb / high fat diet coupled with some exercise has seemed to result in positive changes so far (only been at it 8 weeks)

However each individual is going to react better / worse to different approaches - Jo's blog above is a great place to start and all of the other forums on here are packed with just about every question / piece of info you need (and some you dont)

Reactions: Bless M

Bless M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
is it reversible ?

I
n my (limited experience) and from what i read (Dr Fung is a good information source) YES.

For me following a low carb / high fat diet coupled with some exercise has seemed to result in positive changes so far (only been at it 8 weeks)

However each individual is going to react better / worse to different approaches - Jo's blog above is a great place to start and all of the other forums on here are packed with just about every question / piece of info you need (and some you dont)

Can I ask what a high fat diet includes?

Nixterjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi that was me 4 weeks ago, so i am new to this too, i nearly had a breakdown.. well i did really !!! this forum is amazing and so friendly… my DN was pretty useless so i used this website for all sorts of info. I have gone for the low carb option around 40-50g a day and 1x 500 metformin, i test before i eat and 2 hours after to see if there is any spikes in levels and i write all my go’s and no go’s down in a book so i know i dont need to test for that item next time, its a learning curve and what might work for me might not work for you so just experiment, i have found i can eat a bit of brown rice or pasta and a few new potatos but i cant tolerate coffee my numbers are already down from the 10’s to the 5s so dont panic, i am lucky as my sister is a diabetic nurse and she has helped and she told me not to panic if my levels go up its normal for diabetics and non diabetics .. we r all in the same boat and some of us are rowing without a paddle but we will get there, have trust in yourself and everyone on here x

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Butter, Cream, nice fatty bacon and meats, olive oil, (NOT VEGETABLE OILS), Cheese, Eggs, Avocados, nuts in moderation. The main point, is to avoid Bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and pastry etc. Cut out below ground vegetables.
The perfect breakfast would be Bacon and eggs, with some fried mushrooms, and perhaps 1 fried tomato.
Don't touch breakfast cereals.
Basically anything you've been told is healthy, is a problem for you now, and vice versa anything that was frowned on, is actually your best friend.
Try looking at some of the what i've eaten today threads, which will give you some ideas.
The most important thing of all, is buy a Glucose meter, contrary to what the medics say it is invaluable. As only by testing immediately before eating, and 2 hours later, will you find the foods YOU need to avoid.
Welcome aboard, and we are all here to help.

Bless M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi that was me 4 weeks ago, so i am new to this too, i nearly had a breakdown.. well i did really !!! this forum is amazing and so friendly… my DN was pretty useless so i used this website for all sorts of info. I have gone for the low carb option around 40-50g a day and 1x 500 metformin, i test before i eat and 2 hours after to see if there is any spikes in levels and i write all my go’s and no go’s down in a book so i know i dont need to test for that item next time, its a learning curve and what might work for me might not work for you so just experiment, i have found i can eat a bit of brown rice or pasta and a few new potatos but i cant tolerate coffee my numbers are already down from the 10’s to the 5s so dont panic, i am lucky as my sister is a diabetic nurse and she has helped and she told me not to panic if my levels go up its normal for diabetics and non diabetics .. we r all in the same boat and some of us are rowing without a paddle but we will get there, have trust in yourself and everyone on here x

I had a break down myself! It was hard still is if I’m honest. I’m very in denial. Feel as if it’s messing with my MH.

Your response has given me much hope, especially being newly diagnosed too.

May I ask do you fast at all? Or know if that will have a good impact on getting down the numbers and having good blood level readings too

I love coffee, is that bad too? I’ve completely cut out sugar for the past 9 months even before being diagnosed so I’m definitely proud of that

Bless M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Butter, Cream, nice fatty bacon and meats, olive oil, (NOT VEGETABLE OILS), Cheese, Eggs, Avocados, nuts in moderation. The main point, is to avoid Bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and pastry etc. Cut out below ground vegetables.
The perfect breakfast would be Bacon and eggs, with some fried mushrooms, and perhaps 1 fried tomato.
Don't touch breakfast cereals.
Basically anything you've been told is healthy, is a problem for you now, and vice versa anything that was frowned on, is actually your best friend.
Try looking at some of the what i've eaten today threads, which will give you some ideas.
The most important thing of all, is buy a Glucose meter, contrary to what the medics say it is invaluable. As only by testing immediately before eating, and 2 hours later, will you find the foods YOU need to avoid.
Welcome aboard, and we are all here to help.

Hey, thank you for your response

What do you mean by below ground vegetables? Just so I can write those down and try to cut them out

I do like mixed veg as in frozen, is that good?

Thank you for the motivation

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a break down myself! It was hard still is if I’m honest. I’m very in denial. Feel as if it’s messing with my MH.

May I ask do you fast at all? Or know if that will have a good impact on getting down the numbers and having good blood level readings too

I love coffee, is that bad too? I’ve completely cut out sugar for the past 9 months even before being diagnosed so I’m definitely proud of that
Hi and welcome.

Two bits of advice - Get a glucometer and use it to find out how your blood glucose levels react to various foods. Second, forget what you think you know about healthy eating. Most current official advice is to eat lots of carbohydrate, which is digested to glucose, and is the thing T2s cannot handle.

If you have a look at the "success stories" part of the forum you'll see lots of accounts from people here who have put their diabetes into remission (sometimes losing a lot of weight in the process) and ended up much healthier. I'm one of them.

I fast (although I don't these days think of it as fasting, I'm just not hungry) generally between my evening meal at about 7.30pm through to having eg some salami and cheese about 1.30pm the following day. After nearly four years it's econd nature.

Coffee - I make a moka pot of coffee about 6.30 and it's finished by 10. At home I have coffee with cream and stevia. Out I'll have espresso or macchiatto. Coffee itself does nothing to my BG - hot milk is a different story.

Best of luck. Ask questions if there is anything you don't understand - people on here helped me tremendously in my early days and they haven't changed.

Nixterjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I dont fast as I dont think i would survive but it is meant to be ok but i stick to 3 meals a day and no snacks or occasionally i may have a few nuts but i have a lot of weight to loose too so i do fill up on green veg and protein (chicken, turkey , fish, eggs and seafood and occasional steaks) home made stir fry’s are great cheese is a good one too, I had some really weird concoctions when i first started was more upset about the coffee than i was about not eating crisps(my major downfall). I did feel **** for the first couple of weeks doing low carb headaches etc but its just the rubbish coming out and water and herbal and fruit teas help and I have not had any cravings which is surprising !!! i have lost nearly 2 stone already and i feel great after giving up the stodge. i also walk everyday not like marthon miles but i try for 30mins a day it really helps with the MH too x

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you mean by below ground vegetables? Just so I can write those down and try to cut them out

I do like mixed veg as in frozen, is that good?
Below ground vegetables are potatoes, beetroot, carrots, parsnips, etc - basically things that store sugar as starch - which are to avoided, generally.
Coffee - I make a moka pot of coffee about 6.30 and it's finished by 10. At home I have coffee with cream and stevia. Out I'll have espresso or macchiatto. Coffee itself does nothing to my BG - hot milk is a different story.
I drink Colombian coffee, black with a Stevia sweetener, in the morning too. I haven't had a problem with that.

6 toes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Take in board this advice regarding food as this is most important thing to concentrate in.

Probably best thing to do is give us a idea of currant food habits and if your testing BG what these are.

I wish I changed my habits years ago.

Robert HA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey all,

Hey Bless M
here are a few references for your reading pleasure... Dr Jason Fung, Dr David Unwin, Dr Roy Taylor. look these 3 guys up on the internet they are everywhere and they all have results putting this disease into remission... question?? mail or text me

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, thanks for the response
Yeah I mean the DR seems sure it’s type 2. I was in denial for a while myself.. still am to be fair

That’s what I thought as well, I’m very young to have this and I think that’s what gets to me about it tbh.

I have a meter, only thing is with my anxiety coupled with this it makes it real (if that makes sense) when I do the meter. I’m not sure what’s too high to what’s normal or low

Thank you so much for the link as well it’s appreciated more than you know.

Is T2 really reversible
You already had a bunch of replies on the food, so you already know what underground vegs to avoid and whatnot. But about the mental part of all this. Yeah, right now it feels like testing makes it real. The thing is, testing, as you implement changes, will also tell you what is working and what isn't. My first tests showed an 18 and a 22, after a lunch with two bread rolls with cheese. (I borrowed our diabetic cat's meter, so had one on hand). Those are scary numbers to see, double digits... And yes, I was in tears when I saw those pop up, because I knew what they meant. But that also meant I knew where I was starting from. And when I changed things around, I saw my blood sugars come down. What I was doing was working, and it was the most empowering thing! And I can't tell you how much I needed that, being surrounded by naysayers who tried to get me to eat more carbs, not less. My husband was the only one who was immediately on board with a low carb, high fat diet, because he saw my numbers come down too.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/controlling-type2-diabetes.html says these are the target ranges: 4 to 7 mmol/l before meals and when fasting, and 4 to 8.5 mmol/l 2 hours following meals. Right now those numbers are very likely out of reach though, because you're starting from a higher point. And that's okay. What you need to check for, regardless of what the target ranges are, is how you respond to your meals. Test right before them and 2 hours after the first bite. You're aiming for a rise of no more and preferably less than 2.0 mmol/l. If you keep that up as much as possible, your over all numbers will start to come down, and you could see a change happening in weeks, maybe even days. It is a miracle to watch and it can make you feel a lot less crushed than you're probably feeling now. The meter isn't there to kick your b*tt and lay blame, it's there to help you get better and show you just how much control you can have over this diabetes malarkey.

Fasting helps, but if that's a no-go, three square meals and maybe some nuts (not too many) will work just fine. Just start testing so you can get a grip on this. Because you can, you know. You can stick your head in the sand, but that could also mean you implement changes and don't see the miracle happening as it does, and it really isn't something you want to miss. You need the pick-me-up, methinks. You can do this.

As for T2 being reversible: I am a diabetic, I will always have diabetes. But I am asymptomatic, my blood sugars are excellent and in the normal range, and have been for the better part of seven years. No diabetic complications, so no heart faillure, no non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, no issues with eyesight or nerve damage. It does mean I have to keep up the low carb lifestyle for the rest of my existence here on earth, but with bacon in the mix, I'm certainly not complaining. Let me put it this way: I was supposed to kick the bucket soon after diagnosis, because there was other stuff going on which was diabetes complications related... I could hardly move, was so exhausted all the time, and so much hurt... Today I'm off for a long walk to get some blood drawn halfway at the other end of town (allergies check), and back then I couldn't walk in my own flat without my legs being too weak to carry me, so I'd crash to the floor every now and again. I take walks. That was unimaginable back then. And I carry heavy camera gear as I go, as well. (It's a nice walk). Going low carb didn't just change my life, it saved my life, and made it worth living again.

You can do this. You can. Things can get better.
Hugs,
Jo