Help

Gord1969

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on meds for just under a week. Metformin. One 500mg tablet a day until next week. Have been testing my blood regularly, it hasn't gone lower than 17.2. And today it has soared back over 20. Should I be worried as I'm not seeing diabetic nurse until Wednesday next week?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Metformin doesnt bring uour numbers down by much. It mainly helps with insulin resistance. You might want to look into the content of your meals. If you check your sugar level before a meal and then 2 hours later, ideally the after reading shouldnt be more than 2mmols higher. Have a read around the forum. Most of us find that carbs are the issue. Bread, rice, pasta, potatos etc.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As Lenny says, Metformin doesn't bring down BS by much even at max dose. Your BS is very high and if it stays in the 20s needs urgent attention. Do seriously reduce the carbs to help get it down. If you have excess weight then reducing that by low-carbing will also help with the BS. If you are not overweight then it is always possible you are not T2 but a Late onset T1 and will need more than Metformin to control it. Drink penty of water and if you are slim and your BS stays in the 20s or even higher then go to A&E if you feel at all unwell.

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Gord1969,

I see from your profile that your not sure whether you are Type2 or that your doctor may change the diagnosis to type1. It appears to me until you get the correct diagnosis that it is going to be difficult to know exactly what needs to be done.

You do need to get these numbers down the Metformin will help a little but not much.

But in the interim, a very brisk walk or some exercise say 15 to 30 mins, may bring the numbers down quickly, temporary, but the only thing you can do at the moment to try and control these numbers from day to day is to watch what you are eating and cutting out some of the high carb foods as @Lenny3 has suggested.

What have you been eating over xmas? Even high sugary fruits will put up your numbers and also breakfast cereals, please tell what is your normal diet is including drinks.

Neil

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
wed this week or wed 7/1?
if it's the 7/1, I would also get some urine ketostrips from the chemist, just to keep an eye out for ketones.
don't mess about if you feel unwell ... go to A&E.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I agree with all the others. You can't rely on Metformin to get your numbers down. Diet is the key (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereals need avoiding at least for the immediate future) and with levels in the 20's you do need to be very careful, get some ketone sticks, and if you feel at all unwell get yourself to hospital ASAP.

Gord1969

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I stayed away from chocolate and crisps and sweet stuff over xmas and didn't touch any alcohol, just fizzy water and tea. I had cereals this morning and yesterday a sandwich and three pieces of fruit followed by chicken for my dinner. I have had two cups of unsweetened tea this morning with semi skimmed milk and just my breakfast. I had a headache, only a slight one and feel knackered today. I sometimes get blurred vision when reading or when sat in the car as a passenger yesterday the tail lights of other cars were blurred, but I put that down to the horrendous weather. I know that there is no miracle cure but when speaking to doctor last week, I expected to see some reduction, however small. I was originally told only to test my blood twice this week until I saw the diabetic nurse on wednesday, but done extra so she had some idea of what was going on. I was told to test blood and different times of the day and it always appears to be high. I still have not heard back from the 111 service and I am due to leave for work in the next couple of hours but not sure what they expect me to do .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't just sweet stuff you need to avoid (and well done for avoiding it all over Christmas. It isn't easy) Your cereals and sandwiches plus your 3 pieces of fruit will not be doing you any favours at all. Fruit is full of sugar so we need to be very careful with it, and selective in the choice of fruit. (berries are best) Bread and cereals are poor choices when your levels are so high. They will just be sending them higher.

I hope you aren't driving to work? Please don't. What did the 111 service say to you?

Gord1969

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Just heard back from 111. Apparently having blood sugar levels this high is nothing to worry about and he has told me to up my tablets to four a day

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Just heard back from 111. Apparently having blood sugar levels this high is nothing to worry about and he has told me to up my tablets to four a day

With respect, (and in my opinion) that's utter garbage. 20s is way too high and anything in the teens needs attention of some sort or another. I VERY much doubt tablets will bring you down to acceptable levels without attention to diet or another alternative

Other more informed people on this board may care to express their thoughts.

Mike :)

EDIT : - UK member comments please? Do you think that 111 response is anywhere near accurate?

Cheers Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
What do you suggest I do and yes I have to drive to work

Gord

I can't suggest you do anything (and neither can anyone else as we're not qualified) but if 111 reckon readings in the 20s is OK, all I can tell you from my opinion and research, it's not. You need to bring those numbers down to acceptable levels and the issue that alarmed me was the comment concerning blurred tail lights.. That me be your condition, it may be something else, but it presents a problem that needs to be addressed.

Please read that the other posters have said ... all valid and ALL worth reading. Mike :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As has been said, increasing your Metformin will NOT bring those levels down. Other types of meds do this. Metformin doesn't. Trust us. Also, you may be one of the unlucky ones whose tummy and bowels complain about Metformin .... and increasing them suddenly may cause you a lot of discomfort until your body is used to them.

What level are you now? You must not drive to work for your own sake and also the sake of other road users. It is dangerous. I would consider having a day off sick and get yourself to hospital/urgent care centre/out of hours doctor NOW.

Meanwhile, drink loads and loads of water and stay off the carbs completely. Have some cheese if you are hungry. (no bread)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Gord

Please accept the advice offered. THEN we can take it one step at a time ..... and at the minute and B4 other info is gathered, that is the best way forward for all concerned. Please don't drive.

Mike :)

Gord1969

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
It's ridiculous really. I thought I was in a minority group being gay, but it appears that diabetics are thought highly enough by so called 'professionals'. Thanks for all the advice guys. Week will probably get worse when I contact the DVLA and they revoke my driving licence. I am so angry and frustrated at the moment.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
You dont need to tell the dvla unless your on insulin or one or 2 other meds.

Jojorid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get your diet right to work with your meds first , for me eating veg and fish brings mine down well , I went from 17.6 to 5.5 in a week by just modifing my diet. Speacil K porridge for breakfast , salad and fish or meat at lunch and meat and plenty of veg at dinner. Read all carb contents on everything you buy , go for the lowest, don't drink alcohol until you can manage your blood , snack on nuts and cheese , few changes and it can be done and drink plenty to help your meds work ☺