Help

Princesnikki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been at a particular 13 years and come up against most things but I am really struggling with my sugar levels now I'm on insulin pump however my sugar levels seem to be sitting in the high teens and I feel rubbish I'm struggling to get them down and I'm starting to worry I'm scared to go to the doctor because they just send me to hospital any advice

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
immediate response is a cannula change followed by an injection of a correction dose ( the old pen way )

how long have they been running high ( hours , days , weeks ??? ))

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You really need to get in touch with your pump clinic asap and ask for their help in getting your bg levels under control, but the first rule is always to check your basal rates and once you get them sorted you can then look at your insulin-to-carb ratio's and diet, the following has a good explanation on basal testing:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

Just one more thing, you need to be checking for ketones when your bg levels are that high.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think you haven't been on a pump that long?
You need to do some basal testing and make adjustments first.
You may well find your sets need to be changed for a different type.. Many people started off in teflon ones when steel ones are (for some) better.

If on plastic... Try stainless steel sets.

Do some basal testing.

If you are getting huge, quickish rises in levels. This eould indicate a set failure. However if these are directly after getting up its more likely to be DP.

Do contact your HCP's on Tuesday.