Help

lindiloo62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am trying to go low carb but I feel it is taking over my life ...I know it sounds silly but recently started insulin and still trying to find what foods I can eat ... my husband and I love our costa and have one every day (it's our social life) but bs after is 12.5 ........

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Costa website has a good section on nutrition value - it just takes a little investment to read it and you can learn what is low carb. You don't have to give up everything, just make informed choices.

A large Chai Latte is a whopping 106g of carbs - choose a Soya Cortado and it's only 4g of carbs!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I think you got the info from @daisy1 Lindiloo? I know all this can seem totally overwhelming, but the danger is when we then do nothing BECAUSE it all seems so overwhelming - see what I mean? So, let's start with the basics. Low carb (or whatever way you choose) will alter your life, because it is supposed to - if you do what you did before, then things cannot change. So, shall we go one meal at a time? Let's start with brekkie.

What do you normally have? What do you find hard about finding an alternative?

Maybe you just need to get a bit less overload lol, it can be confusing. Not saying you're daft at all, but when faced with a pile of new information, it can be just too much, so let's try it this way. If you're on insulin, you must be testing your bloods regularly. What kind of numbers are you getting?

lindiloo62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you got the info from @daisy1 Lindiloo? I know all this can seem totally overwhelming, but the danger is when we then do nothing BECAUSE it all seems so overwhelming - see what I mean? So, let's start with the basics. Low carb (or whatever way you choose) will alter your life, because it is supposed to - if you do what you did before, then things cannot change. So, shall we go one meal at a time? Let's start with brekkie.

What do you normally have? What do you find hard about finding an alternative?

Maybe you just need to get a bit less overload lol, it can be confusing. Not saying you're daft at all, but when faced with a pile of new information, it can be just too much, so let's try it this way. If you're on insulin, you must be testing your bloods regularly. What kind of numbers are you getting?
Your right Ladybird I am overwhelmed with low carbs ... I find when I eat right my bloods are great but I get a bit lost ... I am not too keen on cooked breakfast but like porridge ...I am happy with a salad for lunch and evening meal such as meat and two veg type. I really don't want to complicate my menu too much but do you think this sort of food choices would be ok ...thank you

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Menu doesn't need to be complicated x But, me dear, you are jumping the gun;) Nearly everyone says they have salad for lunch, in fear of judgements I guess - but there won't be any. The thing is, to start off with, we need to examine the meals a bit more closely - the more info we have from you now, the better we can advise you, and hopefully keep it simple to follow.
Porridge is a funny one, some people can tolerate it but lots find it send their bg levels right up. So much of this depends on what your bg levels are Lindi, what are they when you test after before and breakfast? That's how you know if a food is safe to eat - I would hazard a guess that porridge might be a no go for you somehow. Do you like eggs in any form?

EDIT - Oh my gawd, I have just reread this and it looks like I'm doubting what you say! That isn't the case at all, what I meant was that loads of people say salads and don't mentioned meat, cheese, mayo, salad cream, coleslaw, potato salad, bread they have with it..so we don't get the full picture. I think I need to get off this keyboard and go to bed, got a temp again. Sorry for any confusion x

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people