Hey

amyhowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm Amy, I'm 19 and I have had Type 1 diabetes for 17 years. I struggle with my management intensely. Being a young adult, I have just kind of left my rebellious teen years of ignoring my diabetes. Last year I had a minimum of 11 hospital admissions. My HBA1C is massively high and I need ideas and help on trying to bring it down (any tips would be appreciated). Basically, I am looking for a "buddy", someone who understands. All of my friends and family don't understand the struggles of living with diabetes. I had been through all of the motions, ignoring my health, depression, getting to grips, losing the tiny bit of control I manage to gain. I now have blood glucose diaries and food journals to try and get me on track. I have also just found out I am starting to suffer with eye problems for the first time as well as having lumps in my injection site which are now painful.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @amyhowes :)

Sadly when the type 1 is out of control then it's harder to manage, however by taking back control will mean it becomes much more easier to manage, so it will take a bit of work but rest assured you will get there.

Firstly have you done the Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating course yet ? If not contact your DSN and get onto a course asap, it's 5 days but the best 5 days you can spend as a t1. Have a look at https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/ too.

Are you seeing your DSN and Consultant on a regular basis ? What regime are you following with your insulin - so are you on a basal/bolus injection regime and carb counting ?

I cannot give you insulin dosing advice and neither can anyone online, however for tips and pointers to help you then more than happy to buddy up for a daily catch up :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @amyhowes sorry to hear you are having troubles at the moment. I went thru similar in my late teens and early twenties! I seen from other posts that you are using the I-port. Are you moving the sites around regular? I would say not if you are getting lumps (lypohypertrophy). If you are injecting into the lumps then the insulin isn't being absorbed very well and will give you highs!
Will agree with @Juicyj, as usual :), have you done the DAFNE course? If not then pester your DSN to get you on it, one of the best things I did to start to control my diabetes better.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Welcome. Not T1 myself but my daughters BFF is T1 and in a very similar place.

My daughter always has a pack of smarties/m n m's (don't melt) with her for if she gets hypo.

So while I don't have personal T1 exp. I do have experience of what a teen with T1 goes through.

Were here.

Reactions: jjraak

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
My daughter always has a pack of smarties/m n m's (don't melt) with her for if she gets hypo.
Chocolate is probably not the right thing to keep for hypos....the carbs in the chocolate would take an age to be released due to the high fat.

Reactions: becca59

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Chocolate is probably not the right thing to keep for hypos....the carbs in the chocolate would take an age to be released due to the high fat.

I cannot argue the merits of which product avoids hypos most effectively.

What I can say is I have seen both my daughter and her dog. Yes her dog can tell when she is low. Not passed out or staggering around like she has been drugged. Just that she is running low and will be in trouble.

So I suppose something that brings her up steady is more effective for her. Maybe they like m and m's so use it. Don't know.

Like I said. Not T1. Will ask, just to let you lot rest.

Reactions: gemma_T1 and porl69