1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HGV licence and blood meters...

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by FarmerSam1996, Oct 25, 2020.

1. FarmerSam1996

FarmerSam1996 · Member

Hi all, I’m a type 1 lorry driver and I’ve finally received my licence back after a 10 month wait... my question is... because I have to have 3 months worth of glucose readings on my meter if it were to break would they still be able to download the data? I have a spare meter but it’s been made clear to me if they don’t see 3 months worth everytime they check they won’t sign my forms. The law and the dvla is so grey and confusing in this area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks In advance

2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know the answer to your question but many meters allow you to upload/backup your data to a computer and/or the cloud. Maybe see what's available for your meter and consider changing to one with more features if yours doesn't allow remote backup.

3. searley

searley Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Probably not my consultant only visually checks the meter he has no equipment

I take great care of my meter in the lead upto my appointment

Once your license expires you can continue to drive on the expired license for 12 months so long as your renewal paperwork is received

Keep a spare meter.... of the same type do 2 tests on it a day.. morning and bed time.

This way you have a meter with the bare minimum legally.. you can then start using it if needed you can also delay the consultant appointment if needed to get a few extra readings on the meter

But just be careful with it

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook