Hi All - Terrified.

JonnyW

Hi all. New to the board and posted a little hello on the new member forum.

I was diagnosed a couple of weeks back and had the first appointment with the Diabetic nurse on Wednesday and started taking Metoformin straight away along with a diet, increased exercise and weight management. Funny thing is, since starting on the tablets, I seem to have picked up more symptons that weren't there before! (light headedness, sweats etc.) Maybe psychosematic!

Two years back I had some symptons and was tested then for Type 2, this came back as borderline and was told by the GP not to worry, just try and lose some weight etc. Symptons went away (frequent urination) and I felt fine for the best part of two years. So much so that the Dr's put it down to a urine infection or stress. Anyway symptons returned (with dry mouth) around June so went back through the testing where Type 2 was confirmed.

Anyway, I'm terrified - really scared. I've never been ill in my life (41 now). I mean never. Ever ever. Not once in hospital (apart from broken digits and noses from rugby and cricket). Think I had flu once many moons ago. I don't know how to handle illness or this condition. I properly freaked myself out by doing some online research the night I met the nurse and simply couldn't sleep afterwards. Life expectancy reduced by 25%, kidney failure, blindness, amputation, heart attack all common themes. I've a young family. I HAVE to be around to see these lovely kids grow up. I freak out at the thought they could be taken into care should anything happen to myself or my partner. I feel embarrassed that I've let myself get into a physical condition to be in this situation; I feel embarrassed that I'm now just what the Daily Mail would stereotype as "a sponger" off the NHS. I can't take free prescriptions. I feel like a total fraud. I've no idea how to approach even consider telling my elderly parents. They've badgered me about my weight (which has yo-yo'd) for years and said they'd end up burying me. They've just moved into a lovely new house and I really don't want to do anything that will give them sleepless nights.

All the other admin bits too.....looking at life assurance (affordable?), car insurance, DVLA. I don't feel sorry for myself, just a seething anger that I've allowed myself to become a statistic and put my family's future in jeopardy.

This week should have been great; kids summer holidays, payday and hopefully some nice weather. I've been blown apart by this. I've had to keep a lid on everything for the family and work etc. but need to release somewhere, so sorry for the rant!

Does anyone know if there are any support groups around the country where you can sit and talk to other diabetic patients?

Thanks for listening!! Keep well.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw Jonny, firstly don't be so hard on yourself! To be honest nobody really knows why some people get type 2 and others don't. There are plenty of slim people with it and plenty of obese people without it so who knows?

Secondly, you have started on the road to lowering your levels now and you will soon start to feel better. They reckon if you can do half an hour of exercise a day which in your case could be walking with the kids, kicking a ball about etc that helps immensely. This time of year I do it after tea as it also helps me offset any sugar rise from carbs in my evening meal.

Do have a good read on this forum, lots of people use lower carbing to get great results but it isn't for everybody and it is for you to decide if it suits you. Avoid white things, bread, rice, pasta etc and substitute for lower portions of brown things such as wholemeal or Burgen linseed and soya bread (very nice btw), wholemeal pasta, brown rice etc. Nairns do oat cakes so rather than grab a chocolate hob nob try an oatcake also red berries such as strawberries, raspberries etc. Cherries don't seem to have much effect either and I believe plums in moderation are good too.

I swapped my mid morning grapes at work with a small banana, the less ripe the better, and a couple of oatcakes or a yoghurt. If you do an office job get up and have a stretch and a walk if you can, every bit of exercise helps! Use the stairs not the lift, park the car a bit further away etc etc.

Whatever you do do not let this spoil your holiday with the children! Just be sensible. If you have done a lot of exercise then a little of what you like isn't a cardinal sin, if you sat by the pool with a book all day then you haven't "earnt" that little treat.

You WILL become less terrified, I promise you. I find Ribena no added sugar about the only palatable squash and of course if you like fizzy there are countless sugar free ones, sadly I don't. We are also in salad season, cook a chicken, hard boil an egg, grate a bit of cheese add a couple of new potatoes and a large serving of salad with plenty of variety and you have a tasty meal.

Best of luck and chin up.

Ali

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot to say, yes it will affect life insurance premiums but if you need life cover deal with it pronto whilst your meds are still moderate and you haven't any other problems. Car insurance - we have 3 cars here that I am insured on, zero effect on all of them so far. DVLA - there are several threads flying around at the mo as they keep changing the rules so do check them out. They tend to be more worried about insulin users and those that have hypos (low sugar) but that is a very general comment so do go and read the links and make sure you know what you need to report and what you don't.

Ali

C

catherinecherub

Hi and a warm welcome to the forum.

I think your reaction is totally understandable and most of us can relate to your feelings. You have been diagnosed with a chronic illness and you are allowed to feel emotional about it.

Having looked at all the negatives about the condition you now have to look at the positives. Your overall health will improve because you will be eating healthier than you have done. You will also lose weight which will result in more energy. With help from other diabetics here you will understand much more about the condition and what you can do to manage it. I did read somewhere that it can be likened to a second job with you as the manager and no pay and no holidays but overall satisfaction. Whilst there are some grim statistics about complications, if you can manage it successfully, as many here do, then you have a greater chance of limiting the progression.

I don't know what dietary advice you have been given but this can sometimes not coincide with what Type2 's have found to work for them. Someone will be along to post the advice for newly diagnosed. Have a read through and ask as many questions as you like, we are all here to help you.

IMHO you need to share your feelings with your nearest and dearest because they know you well and will notice that you are not your usual self. I cannot help with support groups but this forum supports all it's members. You can come here and rant and rave about how you are feeling and you will get replies from people who know exactly how you feel.

Life insurance can be a problem but the DVLA are only concerned if you have hypoglaecimic episodes and use insulin. Most insurance companies do not charge extra when you inform them of your diagnosis. I have noticed a few that do so that it really the luck of the draw.

Read as much as you can, ask as many questions as you like and I am willing to bet that in a few weeks time you will become much less afraid and more confident that this illness is not as bad as you thought it was going to be. Many people come here in your situation and usually find that after a short while they are advising recently diagnosed with helpful suggestions, tips and support.

Hope this helps.

CC.

Grazer

Everything everyone has said I agree with. I went through the "terrified" and "guilt" stages, but they wear off! I read the same sites as you, but now I reckon my life expectancy is BETTER than before I had Diabetes. And I won't get any complications. Reason? My sugar levels are well under control, and early mortality is only to fear if you don't get that right. BUT, because I'm now slimmer, (lost 2 stone and 4 inches round the middle), and fitter, (regular exercise), my blood pressure is down, my recovery pulse rate after exercise is dramatically better, and I eat healthy stuff. I eat a lower carb diet, not low carb, and avoid all the nasty starchy carbs like white bread and flour etc. Bet I live longer, and fitter, than a load of my mates. In fact, I have nearly achieved true immortality! Well, no, but you get the drift.
Malc

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi again Jonny :)
I have posted some information for you on your other thread, as Catherine mentioned just now.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Jonny!

I agree with Malc - in fact, Type 2 diabetes could well be the best thing that ever happened to me!

I was a lazy overweight slob before diagnosis, even though I knew better AND knew how to deal with it! Diabetes was just the kick up the a**e I needed! I eat low-carb; I've lost 3.5 stone, my BG levels are well-controlled, my blood pressure and my cholesterol levels are down. I can't exercise much because of mobility problems, but there is no doubt whatsoever that I'm a much healthier person than I was when I was diagnosed.

It's frightening and shocking at first, but you'll soon come to terms with it, and take control of it. Discuss it with your family; get your kids to help you with choosing the right foods and sharing your exercise.

After all - what you teach them now about managing diabetes, will make sure that they don't get it when they're older.

This forum is full of friendly, helpful people who almost all have diabetes - they know what they're talking about. Any time you need help, or have a question (don't worry if you think it's a silly question!) just come on here and ask. You'll get a helpful reply. I've had so much support from the people on here.

It's not the end of the world - there are people out there with both types of diabetes who've lived well and healthily for years, by learning to manage their condition. You can too.

The record is over 80 years with Type 1 - and the treatments are so much better now!

Viv 8)

JonnyW

Thank you all so much.

It really is appreciated to hear such information and positivity! Great support and advice.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I was diagnosed earlier this year, but I still beat people 20 years younger than me at badminton. I've lost weight etc so feel fitter and love the compliments I get when people remark on how well I'm looking. As for being a "statistic"- well lets start our own count of those whose lives have improved due to their actions after diagnosis & pretty soon you can be a statistic in that group with the rest of us!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
viviennem said:
Type 2 diabetes could well be the best thing that ever happened to me!

Me too! I have no idea what I'd talk about if I couldn't bore everyone within earshot about diabetes, all day, every day.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Hi Jonny

Welcome to the board :)

I'm probably about a bit ahead of you on this interesting journey having been diagnosed in the first week of July.

I was absolutely terrified as well, but I can say that (residual stroke symptoms aside) I already feel fitter than I have for years. I've lost weight by cutting out the rubbish in my diet and exercising.

I do feel that I'm starting to gain control of my life again. It's strange to say, but I think that having a stroke and the follow-on diagnosis of Type II diabetes has spurred me into action and has literally saved my life.

RussG

Hi Jonny,

I'd probably be more worried if you said you weren't terrified! There's a wealth of experience here, so welcome to the forum and let us have any questions! This condition is manageable, and as many have said sometimes it takes something like this to make us sit up and pay attention.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I see from your details you are in Essex.

There are support groups associated with 'diabetes.org.uk' - I was looking for people to chat to in Suffolk but the Ipswich group is closing down due to lack of support.

There are groups in Clacton and Colchester, as well as others further in towards London.

See
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/In_Your_...ing/Voluntary_groups/Listing_of_local_groups/

There can be a varation on views between people contributing to 'diabetes.co.uk' and the party line from 'diabetes.org.uk' over diet and testing, but we are all in this together.

Just remember that everyone has an opinion, but that is what it is - an opinion :)

Now take a deep breath and try not to panic.

The initial prognosis can be really scary but don't take it all too much to heart.
I was completely thrown by all the advice about feet - constant checking, always wear shoes around the house etc.
Three years on I walk around in bare feet just like I did before diagnosis.
I heal just as well as I did before I was diagnosed, so small cuts etc. are not an issue.

You have had a wake up call and as long as you really listen then you can sort yourself out no problem!
Remember that a lot of the really bad news items are for the clinically obese who will not take responsibility for control of their life. Unfortunately, some people work hard at it and still get problems but in general people who are proactive about their lifestyle do pretty well, as several people have already posted.

As already suggested, tell everyone in your family but in a calm manner - this isn't the end of the world.
Remember there is no point in blaming yourself or feeling guilty; you are where you are and the main task is to deal with it.
You have diabetes so you are going to have to make some lifestyle changes but your family will want to help you.
Once you have settled down a bit, start absorbing the advice about lifestyle and diet and set yourself some goals, and share these with your family so they can support you.
Each time you achieve a goal, re-asses your health, blood glucose control and diet and decide if there are areas you can improve.

It will take a while for all of this to sink in.
I have been gradually changing diet and lifestyle for over three years now and I am still finding things to modify and new things to learn, but in general I have been able to improve my health, reduce my weight, and reduce my blood glucose levels progressively over this period.

Take a deep breath and move on.
You can control diabetes and there are loads of resources to help, as well as loads of support from fora such as this one.

Cheers

LGC

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Jonny

I must echo the comments already made. Blame and control can often make poor companions and control is what you need. For what it is worth, having the support of loved ones is, in my opinion, a help in gaining control.

Don't forget that as well as your blood sugars, blood pressure is also a crucial thing to keep an eye on. My experience is that a very tight control of bp is good for those with diabetes.

Take care

Doug

JonnyW

Thanks all.

Just another question; does anyone have any experience in informing their employer of their status? Good or bad. I'm slightly nervous about this.

Thanks

Jon

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Jon

I told my employers from the outset and had no problems. Without knowing, your employer might wonder why you keep going off for medical appointments. It also meant that I could insist on food at meetings that was not all biscuits, cakes and danish pastries!! A reasonable adjustment under the then Disability Discrimination Act (now the Equality Act) was supplying some fruit/raw veg instead.

Hope this helps

Doug

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Hi, just found your post and totally understand your feelings. I was diagnosed just over 3 years ago just after starting a new job, and I told my employers - they were not in the least concerned, I am a T2 not on insulin so chance of hypos practically ruled out. It really made no difference to my work, I also let my colleagues know, and as another forum member said I talked about it so much that I am sure they were bored rigid! I eventually got them to understand that when I declined their offers of cake and biscuits I was not being rude :D

Scary stuff indeed, I was completely devastated upon a completely unexpected diagnosis, but once you get into a routine you really learn to live with it, and tell yourself if you do your bit you have a good chance of 'keeping the big, bad wolf at bay' so to speak. Diet, exercise and all the other things the other members mention.

But one thing is for sure you have made a fantastic move by coming to this forum, members here for you day and night, whatever your problem, always someone been there, done and it and got the advice and support to offer. Here you can talk about it to your heart's content and no one minds or will get bored!

Good luck with your new life, I look upon it as a challenge that I face and try to fight on a daily basis. But whatever you do, make sure you keep up with the forum it will help you through all kinds of things - good or not so good :!:

Welcome to the club of 'special' people.