Hi All

ditzeeblonde

Hi Everyone

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on New Years Eve.. so having just had my first week trying to get my head around everything thought I would seek out a forum.

Today was the first day really that the enormity of what diabetes could mean if not controlled really hit me... think I've been gliding along completely distracted by pricking my fingers & now its hitting home!

I'm on metformin which combined with the fact I have been low carbing seems to be doing the job... but thats only my very 'diabetic virginal' opinion... will feel much better if my nurse confirms it on Monday!! (snow permitting I can get to her)

I have just started reading 'The first year type 2 diabetes & have got Diabetes for dummies (for my OH :wink: ) but am looking forward to the information that I'm sure will be gleamed from this site!

Have a good weekend.

Linzi. xx

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Linzi.

I'm a newbie with similarities to yourself. I was told I probably have T2 (after they looked at blood and urine samples) by an A & E doctor on new years day, after I went there because my iritis had flared up. Went to see my GP on Monday and did the fasting bloods which I have to go back next Thursday for the results, to see the diabetic nurse, etc.

In the meantime I discovered this forum, have pestered the life out of the moderators with my newbie questions and spookily enough, today my Amazon delivery arrived containing the very 2 same books you have bought.

I haven't bought a meter yet as I want to wait and see what happens with my visit to my GP next week. I'm hoping to control mine with diet only but I'm open minded enough to try other treatment if recommended by the experts.

Good luck and stay positive. :D

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Linzi

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I bet that put a damper on your New Year's eve celebrations.

Welcome to the forum. Spend some time looking around and ask away with any questions you may have.

Regards

Pavlos

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya linzi,
welcome to the forum, have a good look around and ask anything u need to know :D
it sounds like you are doing well ,hope the dn tells u the same

ditzeeblonde

Ardbeg said:
Hi Linzi.

I'm a newbie with similarities to yourself. I was told I probably have T2 (after they looked at blood and urine samples) by an A & E doctor on new years day, after I went there because my iritis had flared up. Went to see my GP on Monday and did the fasting bloods which I have to go back next Thursday for the results, to see the diabetic nurse, etc.

In the meantime I discovered this forum, have pestered the life out of the moderators with my newbie questions and spookily enough, today my Amazon delivery arrived containing the very 2 same books you have bought.

I haven't bought a meter yet as I want to wait and see what happens with my visit to my GP next week. I'm hoping to control mine with diet only but I'm open minded enough to try other treatment if recommended by the experts.

Good luck and stay positive. :D

Thanks for your reply... looks like we are embarking on the same journey at the same time. Be interested to hear what you think of the books.. I read the all of the first week yesterday (in the first year type 2) & had a night of tossing & turning as I was digesting information I guess!

I got my meter from my nurse... doesn't everyone then? Do you have to buy them?

Good luck with your appointment on thurs... let us know how you got on. x

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks Linzi,

Will do. :D

magicaldebs

Hi
Well it looks like there are a few of us on the same journey. I am a newbie with very much the same sorry tale to tell. I have actually been in denial for a long time. I did not want to admit that I had Diabetis, I thought my GP was over-reacting :?
Well so much for my theory LOL
I have just ordered the same two books off Amazon (they must do a roaring trade). Perhaps I should write my own book entitled 'How not to react to the Diagnosis of Pre-diabetis: The sorry tale of a middle aged women fighting a lost cause' It could be a best seller :D
I look forward to chatting with you all.
Debs

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Debs,

You are definately amongst friends on this forum, it's great (and no bitchiness.........so far).

I'm surprised how quickly Linzi was given medication and regards myself, I'm still unsure what an "acceptable" BG should be. I was 16 when measured on new years day but still awaiting my fasting results until Thursday. Meanwhile a sensible eating regime and no booze is giving me steady weight loss which is great. :D

I guess my main fear is this; if I start taking tablets for betes will it start affecting my ability to lose weight as quickly? At 6ft 1inch tall I know that 17 stone is still too heavy, but I cannot ever see me getting down to 13 and a half stone or whatever the medical charts say I should be. If I could lose another 2 stone I'd be very happy.

ditzeeblonde

Hi Debs

Happy reading... I think you could be onto a winner with you book!!

Ardberg - I think I was put on metformin so quickly because I had PCOS & had been on metformin for that before... plus I did a 4 day diet sheet & my bloods were rising even tho my foods were good. Si it wasn't given to me at initial diagnosis. Also my nurse is just fantastic!

I've just had a reading of 6.5 after my breakfast which I am really chuffed with (mind you took one of my metformin doses at breakfast rather than waiting til lunch so that may have helped!) Thats my lowest reading so far!

The good news is that in the week I've been diagnosed I have lost 8lbs!! :eek: So lowcarbing & being on metformin is helping that too... which is what it did before. Just need to stay on top of it & not get complacent!

I think this could be just the kick up the backside that I needed to kick start a healthier 2010!

Linzi.x

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
ditzeeblonde said:
I think this could be just the kick up the backside that I needed to kick start a healthier 2010!
Linzi.x

Yeah, me too Linzi. My wife and son have been on at me for ages, but there is nothing better than the kick up the backside you get when you hear those words "I think you may be diabetic" to focus your mind and strengthen your resolve.

Onwards and upwards. :p