hi everyone - newbie falling to bits!

Scoob57

Dislikes
Selfish, ignorant people. Bad manners.
Hi everyone,

I'm 51 years old and was diagnosed type 2 about a year ago. I'm on meds for high bp and cholesterol and I had an acute angina attack 3 years ago and had 2 stents fitted and I have ischemic heart disease. Last December I had a partial thyroidectomy and am now just starting the merry dance of finding the correct dosage of meds to control hypothyroidism. Otherwise life's just peachy! :)

My BG has been up since the middle of January, between 9.3 ish to 11.8. The docs have said that they have to get my thyroid sorted before they can do anything about my sugar, as it's the thyroid that's causing havoc with my sugar and my triglycerides. I'm going to start tomorrow and hit the carbs on the head and try to bring down my bg before I take shares in diet coke! (It'll be cheaper that way :lol: ) By the way, if anyone has any better ideas as to what else I can drink, it would be appreciated. I do drink lots of cold water, but for some reason, sometimes water seems to make me more thirsty (duh?) :? )

I'm glad I found this site where people know what they're talking about, having worn the t shirts. It's so much easier to trust the advice of someone who's been there, done that etc.

I'd like to thank everyone in advance for your help, advice and understanding when I spit my vitriole about being sick and tired of being sick and tired! I do hate whingeing to my hubby and friends, but some days, donchya just feel like spitting the dummy out and having a moan?

By the way, some of my meds like heart meds, diabetes and thyroid meds are sorted in Spain, which is where I had my angina attack and was fitted with the stents. They are doing a wonderful job and still following up on me.

I'm going to have a wander and see what there is to see on here. No doubt I'll catch up with some of you later.

Thanks, and it's great to meet you.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum Scoob,come here when every you feel like a moan !!We've all had a good moaning session on here from time to time and you certainly have more than your fair share of things to moan about. Have a good read round the forum and if you can't find something ,just ask.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Scoob, Welcome.

Know just what you mean. I started off in a similar way to you some 11 years ago and found it really depressing for some time. I found that finding out all you can about your Diabetes is the best way forward and this site is great for that. Plenty of people of all ages who have loads of tips and advice which can help you get the better of this. It also makes a few medical pro's sit up a bit when they realise you know what you are talking about when you see them. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion, they are not God! NIL CARBARUNDUM ILLEGITAMAI

Enjoy the day
Ken

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya scoob and welcome to the forum :D

Scoob57

Dislikes
Trinkwasser said:
This may be a good place to read also

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

he's a low carb cardiologist which would sort several of your problems

Thanks to everyone for your replies/welcomes.

An interesting blog Trink, thanks for that. The wheat thing is ringing a few alarm bells with me (and my other half too, by the size of his belly! :lol: ). The trouble is, I'm having a hard time putting this lot together (thanks to brain fog - hypothyroid induced). Like what the hell can I eat? I can't eat sugars and carbs because of diabetes. I can't eat anything with high saturated fats because of my cholesterol and heart (although my total cholesterol is ok at the moment - it's my trigs that are still high). Now I think I have to keep away from wheat, which may be responsible for sending my trigs through the roof and I have to watch my salt intake because of high blood pressure. Can anyone know of any tasty celery? :? I do like veg and fruit, but please! There must be something else I can eat! any and all suggestions welcome!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Scoob

I too have to follow a low fat, low salt and reduced carb diet. I had a triple bypass 5 years ago and am on BP meds, Chol meds etc....
What I find works for me is I eat all sorts of salads, fresh lean beef, chicken, turkey, fish and occasional treats of bacon, eggs etc. I also find that Tandoori Chicken / Fish also helps get the BG's down. (home made of course). I have a varied diet but avoid bread, rice,pasta, potato and root veg. I also eat loads of fruit as a snack. i drink plenty of tea, coffee and sometimes have Diet drinks,like Coke or Pepsi all with no rise in BG readings. If you are monitoring during the day you will soon find out what things make your BG climb. I find that a full English with all the trimmings once in a while puts my Bg up by 5 points ! But it's worth it !! Despite all this my weight is now falling.
I'm sure others have their own diets which you can pick and choose. It doesn't have to be dull.

Cheers
Ken

Scoob57

Dislikes
Thanks for that Ken,

I'm glad to know that it's not all doom and gloom lol. I'll have a good look on the food section and see what ideas I can purloin! :wink:

Trinkwasser

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/freeveggies.htm

You can eat most of these pretty much ad lib.

You can eat a whole lot of other stuff if your meter will let you.

The "Heart Healthy" diet is turning out to be nothing of the sort for many if not most people, your body turns the excess carbs into body and blood fats. Without the high level of carbs and the high level of insulin required to process them dietary fats aren't a problem.

One thing that is a good plan is to eat plenty of fish to keep the balance of Omega 3s high and the Omega 6s down. Monounsaturated fats like olive oil (the more peppery the better) are also good.

I was being fed more and more carbs and less and less fat and my lipids were getting worse. By doing the exact opposite my trigs are ten percent of what they were and my HDL has doubled. LDL was still a bit high despite my statin (but not the dangerous type), the weirdest thing was that when I added more of those dreadfully dangerous saturated fats my HDL went up and LDL came DOWN by about the same amount.

Who knew? Well quite a lot of people actually, including some doctors like William Davis and Michael Eades

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

mjm

There is no need to fall to bits. I've been a type1 diabetic for 50 years now and had a heart attack 18 years ago. I eat between 250g and 300g of carbs each day. I'm the same weight now that I was 40 years ago. All the food I eat i.e., Fruit, vegetables of all shapes and sizes, brown breads, fish, chicken and turkey and a little red meat has kept me in good trim. I only put peanut butter on my breads except when eating out. I exercise almost every day and when I go on holidays it's generally a holiday with plenty of activity, i.e., a cycling or canoeing holiday, I haven't done a walking one yet but may do in the future. I'm in my 64th year on this planet and hopefully I'll have a good few more.
It's always a case of what suits you, and the only thing which I would advise to avoid is saturated fats. Of course I would also recomment a little exercise. In August I'll be cycling from Brussels to Amsterdam and am looking forward to it.

Fenster

Hi mjm

A type one for fifty years, you must know what you are doing. Please stick with the forum, you give us all great hope. :)

Fenster