Hi everyone ( update / if you’ve seen my previous posts)

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly I want to say a big
Thank you to everyone’s replies /
Concern and advice ( following my destressijg lost on me taking an overdose of insulin )

fortunately I managed to ward off any lasting affects by eating jam sandwiches etc

I have been feeling extremely down / getting upset very easily . And this had been a coping strategy of mine . I almost feel ‘relief ‘after doing something like that.
I am 29. Live with my mum . Have no close friends ( people don’t warm to me so I will never have the option of meeting up etc ) everyday is so full and boring . I rely on fast food a lot . Or what my mum makes . ( I’m super lazy and will never change )

I get angry easily . I don’t have any opinions . I generally feel I don’t WANT to be Alive .

im not willing to change my diet for this diabetes . I find the subject of food way too much . I stay in bed for hours until my mum makes me breakfast ( about 3pm)

I’ve had 20 units just so I can have a splurge of snacks ( it’s like I have to have a overdose to be honest to eat anything like that .( cakes etc ) earlier I ( I guess , can not be bothered to count , it’s better to over estimate than under surely ) I had one slice of rye bread , 2 fried eggs and cheese . And a large coconut macaroon ( 6 units ) and it went from 5 to just under 10.

heard your meant to keep it spiking 2 mmol max ideally ?? Can not do that , ridiculous.

I’m
Not good at chatting so yea .. I guess I chatted .

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if you have anything you enjoy doing, hobbies that make you happy and feel good? If you don’t, Can you find something, I think that will help you

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the update!
And this had been a coping strategy of mine . I almost feel ‘relief ‘after doing something like that.
Self harming is a well-known coping mechanism, and making strange decisions concerning your insulin is no different from other ways of self harm. Do you have a therapist you can talk to about this?

I’ve had 20 units just so I can have a splurge of snacks ( it’s like I have to have a overdose to be honest to eat anything like that .( cakes etc ) earlier I ( I guess , can not be bothered to count , it’s better to over estimate than under surely ) I had one slice of rye bread , 2 fried eggs and cheese . And a large coconut macaroon ( 6 units ) and it went from 5 to just under 10.

heard your meant to keep it spiking 2 mmol max ideally ?? Can not do that , ridiculous.
If it works, it works!
The rise of no more than 2 mmol/l after 2 hours is usually mentioned relating to T2's, not on insulin. For T1's the general aim is to stay below 10, and managing that some 70% of the time is considered not bad at all, the average is less than that.

Stay well!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The rise of no more than 2 mmol/l after 2 hours is usually mentioned relating to T2's, not on insulin. For T1's the general aim is to stay below 10, and managing that some 70% of the time is considered not bad at all, the average is less than that.
Indeed take note of this @Grumpy Porridge , can be very difficult even for those of us who are more experienced, I never even got to 70% until I got a pump last year, my previous 4 decades probably hadn't been close to that amount of time in target (couldn't even tell for most of it)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
ortunately I managed to ward off any lasting affects by eating jam sandwiches etc

Excellent news. I am very glad that you are OK after that episode.

You sound very depressed to me. All I can say is that lots of people get depressed, particularly after a T1 diagnosis, and while you may feel like life is hopeless at the moment, it doesn't mean that it will stay like that. I urge you to seek help, whether it's talking to the samaritans, your mother, or seeking help from your GP or your clinic.

I like the sheep in your avatar picture, by the way. Any particular reason you chose them? (I really ought to put a picture up on my own:).)

Lots of virtual hugs.

Reactions: Antje77