Reactive Hypoglycemia Hi everyone!

doc_908

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anybody tell why hypoglycaemia occur in non diabetic person... my friend is perfectly normal and today his blood sugar level decreased and I checked and it was 85mg/dl .... he said this happens to him 2 months back but he didn't notice ....

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can anybody tell why hypoglycaemia occur in non diabetic person... my friend is perfectly normal and today his blood sugar level decreased and I checked and it was 85mg/dl .... he said this happens to him 2 months back but he didn't notice ....

85mg/dl is a normal blood sugar :)

Can you explain a little more about your/his concerns?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @doc_908 ,

Going to tag a couple of RH guys that may help. @Brunneria @Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi doc!

It happens because their is an excess of insulin after eating and digestion.
The insulin drives down blood glucose levels.

I have normal fasting blood glucose levels. I have an intolerance to many foods that trigger the excessive insulin response.

Has your friend been diagnosed?

The reason I ask is because hypoglycaemia can only be diagnosed properly after hospital tests.

It can also be quite common for someone to have hyper and hypo levels without being either diabetic or hypoglycaemic!

Best wishes

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I would agree that a reading of 85 is in the normal range.

What does his blood glucose normally run at?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

85mg/dL is 4.7mmol/l. That is a perfectly healthy, normal blood sugar and certainly isn't hypoglycaemia.

Non diabetic, non medicated people can experience low blood sugar that might need treating in someone who is at risk from blood sugar lowering medication. So because we are on insulin we have a strict cut off, don't go under 4, whereas a non diabetic, non medicated person might perfectly happily run at between 3.8-4.5 and not have any problems with that. Equally, the most typical reasons for a non diabetic non medicated person having low blood sugar will be perfectly simple, non medical reasons: they've not eaten for ages or they've done a tonne of exercise.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Some RHs have insulinoma, a tumor in the pancreas that releases excessive amounts of insulin causing hypos in non diabetics.
Medications as well can give hypos, or the pancreas can compensate with too much insulin because of insulin resistence.

But, 85mg/dl or 4.7 mmol are not a hypo, so I think its more likely your friends symptoms were from something else than blood sugar issues.

Reactions: Lamont D