1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Tan31, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Tan31

Tan31 Type 1 · Member

I’m new in here I’ve been diabetic since 2011 I’m type one diabetic my names Tania I’m 31 years old got 2 beautiful kiddies and a loving partner I’m struggling to manage my blood sugars

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. sweetbloodsher

sweetbloodsher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome, Tania. Hope you find a lot of good information and support here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Welcome to the forums @Tan31.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Tania,

Welcome to the forum.

What insulin/s are you prescribed?
    Where do you feel it could be better? Highs? Too many lows? "Roller coaster BGs??

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tan31

Tan31 Type 1 · Member

I’m up and down with my blood sugars I’m on novorapid in the day and tresiba for the night

6. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi again,

OK, well? The Tresiba is your foundation with the long acting profile.
    It's worth basal testing that first to check nothing is amiss before looking at what's happening with the novorapid onboard too?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tan31

Tan31 Type 1 · Member

8. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi and welcome. Are you carb-counting i.e. adjusting the NovoRapid to the carbs in each meal? Your Basal needs to be tweaked so that your BS stays stable without eating for a good few hours.

9. Justphil

Justphil · Newbie

Hey Tania, im new to this type 1 myself, i was diagnosed in July. So im probably not the best person to give advice, however since day one i have kept my BG between 4.5 and never go above 7.5. (Never had a hypo)

The only thing i can say that may help is,....all my meals are like clockwork. I only eat low GI bread from the bakers. I never have 2 slices in a row, so if im exceptionally hungry at breakfast il have 2, but then lunch just have 1, or vice verser. If i have potato i only eat 4 small new potatoes or baby potatoes, i also eat sweet potato fries, ready made from lidl.

I never count the carbs in vegetables and i have them with every main meal that i eat. I usually have a salad in the weekdays with 1 slice of bread.

I snack on fridge raiders, or salami. Or lentil crisps. For supper i eat 1 slice of toast with 100% peanut butter on. (Desert spoon full)

I dont have any idea how you have survived since 2011. Im fed up already i miss pizza and chips. Although i can still have a tandoori mixed grill without the rice.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dani96xx

dani96xx Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, I see your comment about missing foods you ate before being diabetic. You can eat all the same foods you used to you just have to inject for it! I appreciate you are probably scared to mix up your meals however I would recommend maybe a couple of times a week trying different food and becoming more comfortable with carb counting to give you more flexibility. I am always happy to help or give any advice

11. dani96xx

dani96xx Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello Tan, maybe try and get your basal insulin correct first and then focus on your bolus insulin. Record all your carb:insulin ratio be strict with your snacks and you will soon work out what is right for you. Here if you want any advice

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook